Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently aquired a 2005 grizzly 660 that my dad owned. It hasn't run for a while so I am trying to get it back in good running order. So far a tune up new tank of gas with some chem tool carb/ efi cleaner and cleaning the air filter and it will run for a while with the choke on but cuts off. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Have you actually removed the carburetor and cleaned it? If not, start with that first.
Those gas tank additive fuel cleaners do very little, if anything at all.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Welcome to GC, good luck with the Grizz, guys on here will get you fixed right up. X2 on what @dezz said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't taken it apart yet because I am Leary about it. I have a lot of mechanical experience with cars and other stuff but I haven't really gotten into a grizzly much. I am not really sure the exact path and steps to take.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I haven't taken it apart yet because I am Leary about it. I have a lot of mechanical experience with cars and other stuff but I haven't really gotten into a grizzly much. I am not really sure the exact path and steps to take.
Carb cleaning is considered to be basic and easy by a lot of people. Just different from most jobs. Sometimes the most difficult part is accessing and removing the carb. Here's a good guide video:
lots of other good videos out there too.

Go for it. Take pics along the way, that way if you get stuck lots of guys here can help you. You can buy a card rebuild kit and replace all the jets. You may want to since you're unfamiliar with what a clean jet looks like.

·
Premium Member
7,929 Posts
Hey...Lthornburg64...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

Great advise for above..Before you run gas into your nice clean carb...
Clean the fuel tank, check and clean the fuel lines, if there is an in-line fuel filter replace it, That the fuel shutoff a part clean it and look for any rubber that is deteriorating especially the smiley face gasket.

·
Premium Member
10,695 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Plan on a thorough tune-up.
I think there is still crap in the carb, and as mentioned above, cleaners aren't good at what you need. I run cleaners in the gas to keep the system clean, but once there is a build up in the fuel system the cleaners don't remove crap from the tiny areas.
A factory service manual is what you need from trade-bit, for a few bucks.
Get the gas tank off, and to do this I remove the cover, instrument pod, rack and front fenders which is time consuming, so while you've gone to this amount of effort, check and adjust the valves.
As the 660 runs, there is not a lot of major stuff wrong, just a lot of small things.
These are low output engines with low compression so everything needs to be right for best performance.
Have 2 or 3 new plugs on hand when you get'er back together and use one at the start.
And I suggest having a bag of plastic push pins handy for re-installing the plastics.
When you get to hooking the wiring back up, the plugs only go back together one way, go slow and everything will be fine.
Then we'll get after the C.V.T. mods:)

Reactions: wheelsquad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't be able to get started on it for a couple of days. But I will give an update when I get it all cleaned up and reinstalled. Thank you all for your input.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Welcome to GC and it definitely sounds like a dirty carb issue , I had the the same symptoms with my old Kodiak and a good cleaning fixed it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey just wanted to tell you all thanks. I got the carb removed and cleaned up. Found the intake boot between the carb and the air cleaner was dry rotted and cracked. So I replaced that as well. Now running like a top. I really appreciate the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts