Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kodiak 400, my back up/old machine doesn’t seem to charge the battery. You can charge the battery then it will start with the electric start but battery will die quickly then only start with pull start. I haven’t got to testing anything yet. But would it even run at all if the stator was bad? I’m thinking it may be the voltage regulator but like I said haven’t got to testing anything yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Basic rule on old(er) machines:

If its electric, clean it. I use a lot of Deoxit on contacts whenever I disassemble older connections.

If it's rubber, protect (dow corning silicone dielectric grease. This stuff works great: Dow Corning 4 Electrical Insulating Compound), seal, replace as needed.

Unless Yamaha went to a generator, the magneto may be working. Could be a fuse, bad connection, voltage regulator... then stator.

Check for voltage at battery while running? How old's the battery? May be good enough to hold a charge for a while and give up enough current to start the bike, but not take enough of a charge from the charging system of the bike to recharge even with it running unless it's for hours. An ammeter can help here too to test for current draw/drain/charge..

Have the battery tested (magneto systems can run without a battery, you can disconnect the battery immediately after starting the bike and see how far the voltage has dropped. Usually more than a volt indicates battery failure), disconnect, clean, connect electrical connections pertaining to charging system.

The shop manuals for these machines have troubleshooting/testing information.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts