Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am puzzled about this so I thought I'd ask you folks.

I have a 2006 Grizzly 660 that has play in the front u-joint (between the transmission and the front diff). It doesn't wiggle much, but it really should not wiggle at all.

Here's the problem. According to the schematics at the dealership, the only Grizzly 660 with a front u-joint was built in 2002. So they can't find a part for me. They sold this unit new in 2006, so they know the history.

Can anyone speculate about what is happening here? I can't find a u-joint on line for a 2006, so I wonder if I can use the one for the 2002.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Walt. I'm going to check with the dealer tomorrow -- they sold the quad initially as a 2006: but we'll take a look at the VIN together. (Oddly the VIN I have ends in a 4, so it does not yet answer the question).

Thanks for the lead.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi north, its on the lowest horizontal framerail right behind the left wheel as you sit on the bike..total 17 digits

tenth digit is the magic number, let us know.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
There is only 2 possible explainations for this.
Either your bike is a 2002 model, or someone has installed a 2002 model front driveshaft.

Installing the 2002 model driveshaft was a fairly common thing to do years ago. This was because of the well known spline wear problem of the 2003-2008 models. Replacing a u-joint was much cheaper than replacing a complete front driveshaft and coupling.
Even if your bike is still a 2006 model, buy the u-joints for the 2002 model, fix your ride and get back on the trail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Walt. I'll take a look -- I'm nursing a cold right now, so getting muddy is low on my list of priorities, but I know that won't last!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you're right, Dezz -- I kind of came to the same conclusion. That if it has a front U-joint, then it will be the 2002 bit that fits. Since I am dealing with the dealer who originally sold the unit (I bought it second hand), I doubt they held it out to be a 2006 when it was a 2002.

That seems a much cheaper fix than replacing the front drive shaft.

·
Registered
18 Posts
replacing front u joints

FYI, I just finished rebuilding the u joints on my '02 660. Once I pressed the new bearings in, the joints were very stiff. I found that tapping with a hammer and punch on the side of the couplers, right behind the bearings, freed them up. I did this to all eight bearings I replaced and they move very freely now.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
I think you're right, Dezz -- I kind of came to the same conclusion. That if it has a front U-joint, then it will be the 2002 bit that fits. Since I am dealing with the dealer who originally sold the unit (I bought it second hand), I doubt they held it out to be a 2006 when it was a 2002.

That seems a much cheaper fix than replacing the front drive shaft.
You might check the vin to verify the year.

Did you take a look at ACV? Know they have u-joints in stock, though not sure about that year.
Your link is broken.

Find them on ebay here...American-CV

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
grizzsara...16 out 17 of your posts promote American CV?? You the owner or ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts