Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here to the forum and new to the world of owning a grizzly. Just purchased a 2006 Grizzly 660 from my father in law for a steal. It’s a completely bone stock unit and I’m wanting to do some upgrades.
First thing it’s gonna need is new tires. How big can I go without installing a lift?
Then I’ve been looking at some performance stuff for it to get the power back from a bigger tire. Just don’t have a clue what I need to unleash more power. Any help and any pics would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
New here to the forum and new to the world of owning a grizzly. Just purchased a 2006 Grizzly 660 from my father in law for a steal. It’s a completely bone stock unit and I’m wanting to do some upgrades.
First thing it’s gonna need is new tires. How big can I go without installing a lift?
Then I’ve been looking at some performance stuff for it to get the power back from a bigger tire. Just don’t have a clue what I need to unleash more power. Any help and any pics would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Welcome to GC from Maine. There is TONS of info on this site for what you are asking. Just go to the different forums and search for threads and posts with titles that are similar to what you want. Don't hesitate to ask for help in searching or anything, there are many knowledgeable members who will help you out. Those 660's are great machines.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ok let's start with the tires shall we. I don't know what applications you will use your Grizzly for but it sounds like you want to mud so here is what I can tell you. 30inch is the biggest you will be able to go. Now the power. We go for the clutch here. I would say to start out put in the 2mm shim and an EPI purple or white secondary spring. Want more, well then you go to a machined sheave. A good wear protection, especially with those big tires, I would say a good buy is some wet clutch slugs. Then you will go to exhaust and such. I would say you should do a "prodesign" air box kit. But save some cash and buy the parts separate off of eBay.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Welcome to GC and congrats on the 660 steal !!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Grizzcrazy I live in South Carolina so it’s gonna be a good bit of trail riding and mud then the once in a blue moon we get snow down here some snow riding. Will I have to do any trimming for 30’s?
Any recommendations on the exhaust? And the air box you mentioned?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm not sure about trimming. A good user to ask about that is @dezz I know he runs 30's. To throw a guess probably a little bit of trimming. Where you do trail ride I think a lot of guys still get along good with 28's if you want to avoid trimming... The "prodesign" kit is really a great way for companies to make money. What you need is a air filter I think they call it a duct plate in 3 inch (guys correct me if wrong) and a clamp on air filter of the same size. I personally will steer you toward a Twin Air or UNI. And four small bolts and nuts to put the plate on. You take the plate and get rid of the junk stock pinch system. I say buy this stuff off of eBay. You will need to cut the fins out of the end of the box. I do recommend taking the box out. And simply drill the holes for the plate. Then you put silicone (any local parts store will have this stuff) and put it around the plate and the heads of the bolts and then just tighten the nuts, put the new performance filter on and your done. I am going to do this myself soon so maybe we could share tips, lol! Now, exhaust, do you care about how loud it is? Of you don't care that it's a little louder then the user @lvdirtjunkie has a Big Gun Evo slip on with quiet core in the parts for sale threads for a smoking good deal. If you don't want any extra loudness seems the HMF Titan with quiet core is the way to go. Used to be swamp sires, you will hear that a bunch around here. Also when you get an exhaust you need to re-jet the carb, just swap the main jet out for a bigger one, the guys on here can help you with that. Hope this helps, need anything else just shoot me a message.

Edit: If price and noise are not big things for you then the ultimate performance exhaust is barker duals, although I would buy the quiet core or you might not be able to stand it. Is there anybody on here with barker duals on 660 that could maybe post some sound? Otherwise go to YouTube. Also might want snorkels where the air box is just under the seat... If plan on going in deep holes but that is a whole new can of tuna.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely don’t want an obnoxiously loud exhaust. Just want to give it good sound and unleash some power. I’ve looked at the silverbacks and outlaw tires but can’t seem to decide on which one.
Looked up the air filter setup and it doesn’t look to awful bad and definitely doesn’t sound like it’s a pain to do.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I believe from what I read, that outlaws will fit you the best. Silverbacks are going to be kinda ruff but still very good tires and a good choice! A bunch of people seem to like them. Loud and obnoxious is barker duals. Good sound but you would get tired of it quickly. At least I did. I kinda like loud stuff too. Now we get to the meat of the exhaust, where the Evo has quiet core I think that it is the best for you and would be a go for performance. I really would look at that. Actually I did for a while. It was kinda dreaming at first, then got a little more serious, but it didn't work out. I do know that when my stock muffler rots out, I will be getting a new HMF Titan with quiet core, it really need to be quiet for me because I have critters that don't like loud noises... Filter kit, yeah I think it will be a super easy install, just don't buy the kit! Also I really am not a fan of K&N. It gives airflow, sure, but it also gives dust to the engine. You decide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wish the outlaws weren’t so dang expensive. I found where I can buy a brand new set of 30” silverbacks for 169 a piece

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am not a tire expert especially on mud tires. I would say start a thread and all the guys on here can help you out! Good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got 28x12x12 on my 660 with raceline wheels and flipped rear knuckles. The tires hit the plastics. Alot. I've trimmed the footwell and it helped, but they still hit. I have to cut more off still.

Clutch, definitely shim it. 2mm might be too much, I run 1mm on mine, 1.5mm worked, 2mm wouldn't fit. orange epi secondary and *I think* 4 epi 16 gram primary weights and 4 18 gram stock weights. You will loose top speed when you shim it, the more you shin the slower you'll be. There's some pretty great write ups on here about the shims.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
800 Posts
@steampunk75 you describe all the of these things that are known issues on a 700. I do wonder if maybe your wheels are causing you the trouble. @dezz what do you do to run 30's?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I run Vision 14" Wheels with flipped rear knuckles. I got a little rubbing on the rear of the floorboards under hard acceleration or full suspension compression. But it's not a hard rub and it's only on the outside edge. Using a stock wheel without the wider offset would probably clear it.
Many guys years ago ran 29.5 Outlaws on stock wheels on stock Grizzly 660's with no rubbing issues. The Highlifter forum was full of them. The internet is also full of pictures of stock Grizzly 660's on 29.5 Outlaws, 30 Silverbacks, 29.5 Swamp Lites (which measure bigger than stated size), etc....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m gonna be putting 28” tires on the stock rims. So hopefully they will clear with minimal trimming. Gonna do the clutch kit soon as well as the filter mod that @Grizzcrazy mentioned

·
Registered
800 Posts
I’m gonna be putting 28” tires on the stock rims. So hopefully they will clear with minimal trimming. Gonna do the clutch kit soon as well as the filter mod that @Grizzcrazy mentioned
Hold your horses here DUROCO8. DO NOT BUY A CLUTCH KIT. Buy things separately and save cash! If you want some help on what to buy just start a thread on here. Also avoid stall springs!

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is what stall springs do to your wet clutch. I mean, it will happen anyway, it's a wear item. They just wear out sooner with the stall springs.

And as far as my tires rubbing, the offset wheels probably contribute. I also don't have a rear swaybar, so the rear articulates easier and further. I'm also a bigger guy, so I work the suspension hard. (6'1 265)

What I'd really like is a set of highlifter HD springs but they've been discontinued and I've had no luck in sourcing a set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just picked up the grizzly from the stealership last night. Spent more than I wanted to but it’s running again and has ungodly power. They said it’s gonna need either the start stop push button assembly or starter solenoid. Ordered both just to be on the safe side. Have one axle that sounds like it’s on it’s last leg. Debating on just swapping a stock axle in it or putting an upgraded one in.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just picked up the grizzly from the stealership last night. Spent more than I wanted to but it’s running again and has ungodly power. They said it’s gonna need either the start stop push button assembly or starter solenoid. Ordered both just to be on the safe side. Have one axle that sounds like it’s on it’s last leg. Debating on just swapping a stock axle in it or putting an upgraded one in.
Ungodly Power. Did put that clutch kit in? All you need is some shims and a spring for about $40.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts