Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the ATV life and purchased this machine a few weeks ago. The owner stated that the machine had been sitting in his garage for about two years ever since he rolled it down a hill. I knew this was going to be a fixer up unit, however the machine has plenty of power and I can run up the road at 45 mph easily but it smokes, white blue smokes that smells of oil. I have serviced the engine oil and filter with no change. Any suggestions as to what to do next?

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Overhaul the top end. There's too little information about the machine history.
It was probably doing this before the roll.

·
Registered
325 Posts
How long have you run it for? I rolled mine a few weeks back and when I fired it up it smoked like a chimney for 5 minutes and then lite smoke for another 10 minutes of riding, then it was back to normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim, thanks for the response. With your suggestion about overhauling the top end. What does all of this include and can this be something that I can do? I am a decent mechanic but never worked on this type of machine. All information would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The machine has been doing this since I purchased it. I have serviced the machine and replaced all fluids and filter.

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
A Factory Service Manual is the place to start. One can be downloaded for 10 bucks or so. This will outline the parts involved, specs. and procedure.

Then, there are videos on youtube where small tricks can be reviewed before you start.

You'll want get it clean before removing some body work to make room. Then you'll start removing parts. The exhaust will need to be disconnected along with the carb/intake.
You'll have to deal with the cam chain after getting the engine timed.
I would plan on a new piston if it was me going to all this effort.
I have a machinist with his shop next door and would take him my parts.
Then reverse the tear down steps.
The manual will have the torque specs and step by step procedure(s).

·
Registered
369 Posts
You should be able to handle a rebuild yourself. I would purchase a manuel either on line or through a dealer and go from there.
How many hours/miles on the machine? Does it look abused, other than the roll-over?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts