Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Latest update. I'd been noticing some clatter in the top end and recalled that the timing chain tensioner was fully extended when I pulled it apart. Well my chain is stretched out enough to slap the side if the case.. What was making it worse is I installed the front timing chain guide incorrectly.. The installation instructions in the service manual were everyone's favorite "installation is the reverse of removal". When I'd removed it I'd just lifted it out of the crankcase, when I put it back in I just dropped it in in a way that 'felt right'.. Now that I have the crankcase cover/flywheel/starter gears off its abundantly clear that I didn't install it right and it got chewed up, so I've got new timing chain and guides otw. On the bright side when I drained the oil this time it came out clean with no visible metal pieces, so maybe I'm still headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got the new timing chain and guides in today. Thankfully that could be done without taking the top end apart again. I measured the links on the new/old chain and the old chain was stretched by nearly 1/2 an inch. Tensioner was fully extended with the old chain and it still had to much slack and with the new one its 1/3 extended and the chain is tight. Cranked up and sounds like it should now. I still have some carb work to do, some more brake work and it has an exhaust leak. I went ahead and ordered a set of tires for it today, so I'm going all in on it being good to go now. Will put up a pic when I get it finished. Thanks again for everyone input. Definitely was more of a project than I had initially thought it would be!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts