Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime lurker on this site, but never have joined until now... I currently own a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700 and a 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 350.

I have had the 350 for sometime now and have been experiencing some issues with it.

First off, when hitting the push start, it does not start. I have to pull start it. It clicks 2 or 3 times then does nothing. I have replaced the battery and starter relay solenoid to no avail...

Secondly. when I turn the key to the "ON" position, both the neutral and reverse light up. When I am able to get it started, I will put it into gear. Every so often, the reverse light will come on , even when driving forward. I'll be at a moderate speed and then the reverse light will come on, slowing me down considerably.

Hoping you more mechanically inclined individuals can lead me in the right direction as to the cause of these issues? Are they related? What do I need to do first...

Thanks in advance!:grin2:

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
First off, when hitting the push start, it does not start. I have to pull start it. It clicks 2 or 3 times then does nothing. I have replaced the battery and starter relay solenoid to no avail...
This sounds like a failed starter motor or a bad connection. Put power directly to the motor. This is easily done by simply shorting the large terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver or wrench (something metal). This will create a direct path from battery to starter motor. If it doesn't crank over then, check the wire connection on the starter motor itself. If it's OK, then your starter motor is the problem. It may simply be worn brushes, to a completely burned up motor.
Of course this is only true if you know for 100% sure the battery is in good condition with a full charge.

Secondly. when I turn the key to the "ON" position, both the neutral and reverse light up. When I am able to get it started, I will put it into gear. Every so often, the reverse light will come on , even when driving forward. I'll be at a moderate speed and then the reverse light will come on, slowing me down considerably.
:grin2:
This points directly to a failed reverse sensor. First start by removing the sensor, cleaning it and give it a few taps with a hammer (nothing hard). Then reinstall. If this does not fix the problem, the sensor probably needs replacement.

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dezz,

Thanks for the reply. I know the batteryy is in good condition because I purchased a brand new one when the issue started.

As far as the reverse sensor is concerned where is that located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dezz,

Thanks for the reply. I know the battery is in good condition because I purchased a brand new one when the issue started.

As far as the reverse sensor is concerned where is that located?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
On the 350 the reverse switch should be located on top of the engine cases, just underneath the airbox. Removing the complete airbox is best for full access to everything there.
There is actually 2 switches. One is forthe Neutral light, and other is for Reverse light. You will need to make sure you got the correct one for troubleshooting.

Go to any online Yamaha parts website. Once under your specific ATV, go under "Electrical 1" diagram. Item #5 is the switches. They are both called Neutral Switch, but one is for reverse.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Ya might try tapping that starter motor with a hammer (not too hard) while someone holds the start button down. If it starts turning over while taping it, that's also a sign that the starter may need rebuilt.

It's not unheard of to get a bad new battery. Ya might think about having it load tested just to be sure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
A bad earth connection to the engine/frame can cause weird electrical problems like you describe as well, wouldn't hurt to give the lead end & where it contacts the engine/frame a good clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts