Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2007 Grizzly 700 EPS - Display POD/Electrical Issue

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  NightFire45 
#1 ·
Left key in overnight in off position and next morning LCD on POD is blank and lights to diag/gear selection are all lit. I have left key in before with no issues but maybe this is the dreaded dead POD? If I shake Grizzly slightly the lights will blink for a few seconds. This makes me believe that this an electrical issue but maybe just what a dead POD does. Engine will turn over but doesn't start which I am assuming is because the POD isn't responding properly. This is what I've tried so far:

• Battery is showing proper voltage and with a new battery same issue.
  • Check all fuses for continuity with multi meter. Change 40A fuse because window was opaque.
  • Some mentions of rectifier/regulator potential issues. Remove and clean contacts.
  • Because of the blinking I figure maybe a bad ground? Remove, clean and dielectric grease engine mount ground. Also test continuity with multi meter and no break in wire. Also remove, clean and dielectric grease both battery terminals.

Anything else to try or is my POD just dead? If the POD is dead what is the better POD part number to purchase that doesn't have this issue?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome from Colorado.
I don't have a bike like yours, so haven't been through your experience, I'm just wondering did you check out the key switch?
In the off position (you thought) there 'was' power to the gear position display, so there was power through the key switch in the off position.
Is the switch broke, and the off position is no longer off?
Just thinking out loud here......that a broken switch can reduce voltage required to the ignition to start.

#5 ·
We have members that report riding their Griz without the display on, so....there are times opposite than yours, kind'a'.
Then you said the gear position lights were on without the key in the on position, I considered these lights as part of the dash/display.
Generally the dash not coming on with the key indicates low voltage, but you checked that before posting so......I wondered if key switch failed.

#4 ·
Apparently they will run without issues with a dead pod. Never did it myself.

#7 ·
That I can't say because I don't have a 700, or have worked on one with a bad key.....but I would start with the key switch as the problem because you said the key was off, the battery drained and some of the lights stayed on with the key off.
Maybe a f.s.m. for cheap is a good place to start;
As for the shift level and gear position sensor, that could have been a secondary influence causing a problem. Its like a plane crash, generally it's several problems that bring down a plane.

#8 ·
Update for the search engines and any other users that have issues.

- Display POD issue was from the starter relay. I read that some users had an issue with the display if the backup fuse is malfunctioning. Replaced the fuse but the connection seemed a bit loose. Replace the whole relay and display works properly now.

- Shorting was coming from the float mechanism in the fuel pump sending unit. Replaced the entire unit and now no more issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.