Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm faced with a minor dilemma about what to do now that I've found a hole in my OEM exhaust. Could it be welded? Possibly but I don't believe that is going to stop another hole from forming soon as the OEM exhaust looks to be on its last leg. Hole is small bit definitely to the outside of where a tip would cover, and, I do not like the noise from a 2R tip anyway.

So, two options:

Replace with an OEM slip-on exhaust which for 07 is in the mid $300s. I could try and find a used one as there are two on ebay right now but both look about the shape of mine. Pay for a new one for the part number for the 07 is different from 08-13. It seems the 08-13 part may fit but I will need to replace the heat shield too since the 07 heat shield will not fit 08-13. IIRC, the 08-13 are in the mid $200 and then add in the heat shield parts.

Second option is aftermarket slip-on exhaust. I've seemed to narrow it down to maybe something like the HMF Swamp (Titan) series as supposedly, it is only 1 or 2 db louder than OEM. But, there is a quiet core available with might actually make it on par or maybe even 1 or 2 db less than OEM. That seems appealing to me along with maybe a very modest hp gain, 1-3hp. I am leaning towards the HMF option but then it is more expensive than OEM, at least the 08-13 OEM exhaust option.

? Does anyone know if the HMF Swamp (Titan) Series comes with a Spark Arrestor or is that an added cost? Seems it would be illegal to sell one without a sark arrestor. Besides, I will not run without one here, very bad idea. Hell, I even have tall dry grass on my own property where I take my machine.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You have another option.....buy a new Grizzly (good excuse for an upgrade)

·
Grizzled
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You had to go there :|

Reactions: rwreuter

·
Grizzled
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, haven't found a definitive answer if the spark arrestor is included but did find someone to tell me they believe they have the HMF Swamp series and that it did come with one. Went ahead and purchased the HMF exhaust so I'll see once I receive it.

I'm also going to go ahead and install it without purchasing a quiet core, make an assessment of the sound and decide if it needs the quiet core. I'll go ahead and purchase that core with enough time prior to a multi day ride coming up if I determine it's needed. HMF home page states the Swamp Series (non-XL) is only 1 db louder than the OEM exhaust.

Lots cheaper for this HMF exhaust than a new Grizzly!!!

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
173 Posts
First ride with my hmf and it melted my plastic behind the muffler. Need some more heat reflective tape stuff

Also. Their advertised db rating is at idle I think. It's noticiably louder than stock But not as loud as 2r tip

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
My buddy put a "quiet" core on his HMF swamp pipe and it was barely even any difference in the sound. He said it was a waste of money to him.

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Keep me in mind, might have some spare oem muffler parts laying around, not sure what my son has cannabolized. Shipping will be high.

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Grizzled
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the offer but I already went ahead and ordered the HMF exhaust as I want to get back out riding right away.

The hole in my exhaust was on the can edge, so the entire exhaust is needing replaced. But you're right, shipping probably would have not been cheap. Thanks for the offer.

·
Grizzled
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First ride with my hmf and it melted my plastic behind the muffler. Need some more heat reflective tape stuff
Just got my HMF exhaust today and have it installed but haven't ridden it yet.
@Bfmine Can you be a bit more specific on where you need to add heat tape? Is it directly in the path of the exhaust gasses straight out the back or is it just to the side of the exhaust gas exit area? I'm assuming it is the first mention. Thx

The exhaust did come with a spark arrestor screen and also about a 4" square of heat tape.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yea it melted directly where the exhaust shoots out of the exhaust. It melted the black plastic part that surrounds the tail light (Only behind the exhaust). I'm not sure how you can get the heat tape on that part. But I emailed hmf and they're sending me a "billet turn down tip" They're god ugly tho

·
Grizzled
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and cleaned everything up last night and proceeded to do, what I think, is a good tape job. I'll get a pic as I think I might have it protected well enough but a days ride will prove or disprove that.

Post up a pic of the turn down tip when you get it installed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It came in the mail today. God this thing is hideous. Plus my muffler is blackout and they sent me stainless turn down ugh.
Also. What is everyone using for photo hosting since Photobucket doesn't work anymore?

·
Grizzled
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can just direct upload to GC in a post.

I went and looked again on HMF's site and saw that turn down tip, didn't see it there originally. It's not so great and looks kinda like a hack-job add on. Would have been much nicer if they did a replacement billet tip with turn down.

I originally mentioned they included heat tape. It's no so much tape, more so a bendable heat pad or plate. The other heat tape in the back ground I got at an auto store and had some left over.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts