Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I know this topic has been discussed to death, so I apologize. But, it seems to me that at one point I found on this forum a pretty good step by step description of how to upgrade the 07-08 grizz to the 09 oil cooled stator cover, new stator, etc. I can't seem to find it. I am just trying to get all the info I can organized for when I do mine next weekend. I have all the parts and one of those dvd service manuals for the 07-08. I assume the 07-08 service manual does not cover any extra steps needed to install the 09 cover, oil feed line etc. Any help is very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
The 09 cover is the same as the one you have WITH the exception of the oil line, the oil line will only fit on the 09 cover one way.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Thanks a bunch, PAGrizzy and Red Rocket! That is the thread. I don't know why I couldn't seem to do the right search to get back to it. Thanks again!
I have a bunch of threads that I have saved over the years just in case I needed them, even if at the time I thought no I don't need that and saved it anyway, much easier than a search.

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Well, this is slightly embarrassing. Somehow I ended up posting the same thread as PA, just linked to a different post within that thread. Not sure what I did but thought it was a different thread and was the reason behind posting it. oh well.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Well, this is slightly embarrassing. Somehow I ended up posting the same thread as PA, just linked to a different post within that thread. Not sure what I did but thought it was a different thread and was the reason behind posting it. oh well.

Don't be embarrassed, you don't want to turn HONDA red >:), I would rather see two answers to a thread than one anytime... that means people are trying to help others.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay!! It's done! 14.4 volts. The stator was cooked, same as all you other guys have seen. So, these machines are getting pretty old, but if there is anyone left out there that needs to do this upgrade I have a couple tips too. If you live close enough to a Yamaha dealer that is any good, it is well worth having them put the new water pump oil seal, new bearing, and new mechanical seal into the '09 crankcase cover. They also installed the new face seal into my water pump impeller too. They have a neat little tool, takes them about 5 minutes. Mine charge me 1/2 hour labor, well worth it. Also, the bushing that has to be installed in the cover for the torque limiter, I did myself, but I was lucky enough to have a brass punch just the right size to tap it in without damage. The dealer could do that too if you don't have the right stuff. You do have to take the water pump off before you can get the crankcase cover off, there is one bolt in behind the water inlet that you can't get to with the pump in place. Having the service manual DVD was invaluable. I can't emphasize that enough. I almost missed one very crucial step which would have been a real pain, so read the steps carefully and you will be all set. Using a long screwdriver as a punch to reach through from the other side to rap on the tab on the cover to break it loose is the right trick. One good rap and the cover came loose. Then you just grab it with both hands and wiggle it straight out, it feels funny because the magnetic field from the magneto tries to hold it, but once you get it out far enough, it comes right along. You will also feel it pulling it back in on the re-install, so make sure everything is lined up good when you slide the cover back in place. All of the posts you guys did were a tremendous help. If anyone reads this and needs to do this job, it's very doable. Make sure you have a good assortment of metric tools, a decent torque wrench that is accurate down to 7 lbs, print off all the posts from all the guys, and have the service manual. Have fun!

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Great to hear and awesome update info. You should copy/paste your info into the main Stator replacement thread to keep your good info contained within that specific FAQ referenced thread.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great to hear and awesome update info. You should copy/paste your info into the main Stator replacement thread to keep your good info contained within that specific FAQ referenced thread.

Thanks.
Thanks, and righto, I will do that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts