Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm here to represent the lower budget under dogs. Though I've been driving boats, quads, sleds, even classic cars for years, this is my first to me quad. So I felt it fitting for a late introduction and general overview of the older style small bore previously owned grizzlys.

First off, this purchase was inspired by a need for an affordable atv, my buddies 700 grizzly, and the fact that my family has been huge yamaha fans for 30 years . Matter a fact, my current stable consist of a Yamaha 30hp triple 2 stroke outboard , a lightly modified yamaha 700 triple 2 stroke Venture, and my 2009 550 grizzly.

I won't go in details about the quad it's self as my signature covers the details well enough. But I will admit that I'm a power and speed junky, and my long terms plans are to mod my 558 to a 686cc engine. Yes I'm one of those guys that should of bought a 700 first time around but bought the wrong bike. In my defence, at the time of purchase their was simply no used grizzly's that were as well equipped, as low mileage/ hrs, had excellent over all condition and was so conviently nearby as my little 550 was. So for a first time atv purchase I have NO regrets.

I also regularly ride my buddie's 2009 700 grizzly. Me and him both agree there is nothing a 700 can do that a 550 won't. But you will reach for low range earlier with the 550 then it's bigger bore brother. The 700 make noticibly more low and mid rpm torque but in WOT only make a bite more power then the 550s. Again me and my buddy made the same observations. That said I would honestly suggest the 1.5 mm shim mod to help the over geared lower torqued 550s with larger more aggressive tires. Makes a big difference. Where the 700 aren't as venerable with larger heavier tires set ups.

Another interesting observations is my 550 doesn't have the throttle lag, stuble, hesitation, or flat spot that is often associated with various fuel injection models. My bike always revs up quickly, strong and clean off idle. That covers my initial thoughts on the matter. I will update this thread later on, goodnight.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had a 2009 550 eps. I liked it way more than I like my 2016 700 so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've read that exact statement from a few other members.

Thank you for sharing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts