Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS Camo 26.5" Pitbull Rockers XOR Ricochet full skid plates
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's,
Does the left hand front fender have to be removed to adjust the exhaust valves or can I get access from the right hand side of the bike with just the side panels removed. This will be my first time doing this adjustment. I had it done at the steelership on past occasions. What size of allen keys are required for the plugs for the crank bolt access and small viewing plug.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If it's been done before, why do you feel it needs to be redone?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to check them and also familiarize myself with the procedure. I am retired now and can't afford trips to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I just want to check them and also familiarize myself with the procedure. I am retired now and can't afford trips to the dealership.
I took off both right and left panels. Only takes 5 min...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
....here's a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay great so the fender can stay on then. (y)
Thanks Vincent

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Okay great so the fender can stay on then. (y)
Thanks Vincent
Yes, I never touched them. But my exhaust valves have always been in spec. If this wasn't the case, I believe the fenders must be removed, cause getting to those exhaust valves / rockers is hell

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thanks again

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
:)
Make damn sure the feeler gauge is flat against the valve, not angled because of the slope down in there.
I bought a set of used feelers at a yard sale, to bend them just for griz valve adjusting. They are hardened steel, so brittle, so heat them up before bending 90 degrees.
Also, some guy's hands fit in there to make the adjustments, mine don't so I remove the fenders.
When I think I'm done, I roll the engine over, reset to t.d.c. and recheck the lash. Once I didn't check, thought I had'r' done correctly, put everything back to start and ride, and everything came back off, I didn't have the feeler in exactly right and didn't get the lash right on some of the valves. I learned the hard way :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts