Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of ATVs/UTVs and am having a problem with a 2009 Big Bear 400 that I am now responsible for maintaining. It starts up fine, shifts from neutral to 1st gear and from neutral to reverse just fine, but it doesn't shift from reverse to neutral when the engine is on. I can shift back to neutral after I turn it off, but not while it's on.

Most of my Google searches have yielded results where people have a hard time shifting INTO reverse, which is not the case for me. I think the closest case is this one for a Bruin: grizzlycentral.com/forum/kodiak-big-bear-bruin-wolverine-discussion/46897-bruin-250-will-not-shift-reverse.html but I don't have any diagrams about the inner workings of the Big Bear so I don't know the same parts might be the issue.

I also don't know this machine's maintenance history, so it's possible the previous owner neglected something.

It still gets the job done, but if I ever need to outrun a bear and have to make a 3-point turn first, I'm a goner!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/links!

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
Hey..Insidiator..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

I'm not sure if this makes any difference on your machine but with the cvt machines if the idle is too high it is nearly impossible to shift in or out of any gear.

We do have a couple members that are wizards with your machine. Hang on someone will chime in.

·
Premium Member
10,153 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Thanks for the visual. L.O.L.
Don't wear heavy boots until the bears go into hibernation.
Inspect the shifter level connections for bushing wear.
Its a long shot but you never know.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My Big Bear occasionally is a little hard to get out of reverse ONLY if the idle is running a little high. It's really finicky sometimes.

Maybe when your having troubles shifting, stop for a second and reduce the idle speed on the carb, then try to shift again. I bet that fixes your problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The shifting on the big bears is usually quite stiff. Try to shift it with your hand as you will have more force (not too much obviously or you will break it). If that does not work, you can try rocking back and forth on the atv, which will cause the gears to get into the right position if they are stuck. Hope this fixes the problem! good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts