Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have been working on the brakes on my 09 700. For a little background both front and rear brakes had stopped working when I started this. I replaced the front pads and immediately I had brakes back.

When working on the rear I first noticed that the pads had a lot of wear left on them however I didn't have any stopping power. I tested the calipers and noticed that the right rear seems to be ceased. Anyway I replaced the pads on the two rear calipers thinking the brake lever were get hard again but it never. Fluid levels were normal and fluid is getting to the bleed screws.

1. Can 1 ceased caliper piston cause brake pressure not to build up on the other?
2. Master cylinder need a rebuild maybe?

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
One seized caliper will not give a soft handle. It will actually do the opposite if the system has no air in it.

The master cylinder may need to be rebuilt, but there is several other things to check before assuming this.
Is the brake pads fetching up on the caliper mounting bracket? This is a very common thing to happen when brake pads are replaced. An adjustment using a small screwdriver to realign the brake pad fixes this.
Did you bleed the brakes? There might be air in the system. On a Yamaha, you'll need to have the caliper pistons pushed all the way in and held there using a clamp, or you'll have a lot of difficulty bleeding all the air out. Since one of your calipers is seized, this might be difficult for you to do. You really should rebuild or replace that caliper. It's not to help anything by leaving it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts