Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2009 Grizzly 350 IRS (YFM35FGIYB)

So a couple days ago I went ATV riding and after riding downhill a good amount using rear "wet" brakes, I noticed that my braking went to virtually zero and it started making this clicking/clunking noise when I applied the rear brakes (sounds like something is loose). I did some research and people say this is a common issue with wet brakes that need replacement. I bought this 09 used and it has about 10K miles on it. Another strange this is that I also hear this noise when I was on a real bumpy ride which is making me wonder if it's really the brakes. Is it possible that the friction plates have worn down so much that there's play between them causing the noise? Why did Yamaha design this brake system? I think it's poor engineering and since brakes are consumables, they shouldn't go inside the differential, that's just poor design IMO.

I tried to find aftermarket fiction plates and wear plates (5 each) with no luck. Is my option only OEM from Yamaha? This comes to around $300 for just the brake parts while the complete diff is $580. What bullshit is this? Yamaha wants me to replace my rear diff each time the rear brakes go out?

Update: I wanted to see if I could reproduce it on my driveway today so I warmed it up for a few minutes and did hard acceleration and braking using the rear brake but no matter what I did, I could not reproduce the noise and the brake worked much better than when I was riding the other day so maybe this has to do with heat? I still think the rear brakes are worn down though since they barely hold and are mushy as hell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 05 bruin 350 4x4 and have replaced the rear brake drum and shoes several times, only to have very spongy rear brakes that do not slow\stop the quad hardly at all. I guess Yamaha has just never been able to figure out how to make a working, reliable, long lasting rear brake.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On the adverse of that, my 2002 660 is still on its original factory rear brake pads. Granted, it only has 3500 miles on it, but I'll still have had it 20yrs in July.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
You guys are trying to compare 3 types of brake systems???
The OP has a wet brake inside the final drive.
05 bruin 350 4x4 has a drum brake... have you adjusted the brake cable?
2002 660 has hydraulic brakes.
The brake lever is all they have in common.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts