Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this ATV for about 6 years and it only has 250 miles on it, it has always run perfectly. After letting it sit this last winter it spits and sputters at idle with the choke off and backfires and sputters when opening the throttle, it does idle well when the choke is on so I figured it was time to pull the carb off and clean and blow it out with air. I am a mechanic by trade so rebuilding carbs isn't foreign to me. I removed the carb, disassembled and cleaned and blew out all the passages and figured this would take care of the problem only to find out it is doing the same thing. I have now removed the carb 3 times trying to find something clogged or wrong with it but haven't had any luck. So my question is to anyone that is more familiar with these types carburetors, is there something I possibly missed? Is there a common passage that clogs on these carbs? Is there any adjustment that can be done on these carbs?

BTW I put fresh gas and a new spark plug in it so that isn't the problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a similar isssue I couldnt figure out after removing my 660 carb, got tired of it and bought a new carb. Check the fuel valve/filter for any clogging. Check the air filter/pipes for restriction. Check the main jet and the needle may have misplaced washers or the clip in a different position. Pilot jet may effect the part throttle bog. Check that the choke back to the fully retracted position (theres an o-ring and a spring holding pressure on the cable. Sometimes its just a very simple bug that you (and probably me) missed. Go find a parts diagram to see if you missed anything. BTW use fuel stabilizer to store for long periods of time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
In my experience, a simple carb cleaning with spray cleaner and compressed air rarely ever works.

A carburetor soaking cleaner works much better. Solder Seals "Hydro Seal II" heavy duty parts and carb cleaner is a product that I have been using for years and works great. All the small engine shops and dealerships I grew with have been using it basically forever.
Disassemble the carb and remove all gaskets and O-rings. Submerge all the metal parts in the cleaner and leave it overnight. Once removed from cleaner, clean the carb of the cleaning solution using brake cleaner and compressed air. Reassemble the carb and reinstall.

Reactions: jvictory1974

·
Registered
88 Posts
In my experience, a simple carb cleaning with spray cleaner and compressed air rarely ever works.

A carburetor soaking cleaner works much better. Solder Seals "Hydro Seal II" heavy duty parts and carb cleaner is a product that I have been using for years and works great. All the small engine shops and dealerships I grew with have been using it basically forever.
Disassemble the carb and remove all gaskets and O-rings. Submerge all the metal parts in the cleaner and leave it overnight. Once removed from cleaner, clean the carb of the cleaning solution using brake cleaner and compressed air. Reassemble the carb and reinstall.
Or an ultrasonic cleaner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the new carb fixed the problem?

I had a similar isssue I couldnt figure out after removing my 660 carb, got tired of it and bought a new carb. Check the fuel valve/filter for any clogging. Check the air filter/pipes for restriction. Check the main jet and the needle may have misplaced washers or the clip in a different position. Pilot jet may effect the part throttle bog. Check that the choke back to the fully retracted position (theres an o-ring and a spring holding pressure on the cable. Sometimes its just a very simple bug that you (and probably me) missed. Go find a parts diagram to see if you missed anything. BTW use fuel stabilizer to store for long periods of time.

Dezz, I have cleaned so many carbs anywhere from 2 stroke lawn equipment to automobile carbs simply by cleaning with carb cleaner and blowing out the passages that I would say 98 percent of the time that fixes the problem. Most of the time all that is wrong is the jets or a passage gets clogged and a simple blowing out fixes it. Although an ultrasonic cleaner is on the list.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep, it runs mint (a little lean but they all do factory).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts