Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be looking at replacing the starter on my 2009 Grizzly 700. The questions for the group are, if I replace it should I go with an OEM or should I look at a after market starter? And then if after market, which brand?

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
499 Posts
The better question is can you find an OEM starter, I would do that first and cost vs benefit. I had a heck of a time last year even finding a OEM starter.
myself, prefer OEM vs getting stranded in the back country. While either can fail, just feel better with OEM from a Japan Manufacturer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The better question is can you find an OEM starter, I would do that first and cost vs benefit. I had a heck of a time last year even finding a OEM starter.
myself, prefer OEM vs getting stranded in the back country. While either can fail, just feel better with OEM from a Japan Manufacturer.
Not worried about getting stranded where I ride. One of the online retailers of OEM parts says they have it in stock so I don't believe that will be an issue, but the cost is $110 more than after market. My mind isn't made up yet, I have the money just wondering what other Grizzly riders have done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered one for my 17 700 from Amazon. It's aftermarket but gets great reviews $50. Should be here next week.
I did call my local dealer and he said there was a TSB on em but, I had to bring the bike in and would be without it for 2-3 weeks.Trailer, 45 min drive, down time................ Taking my chances on the $50 starter delivered to my door.
NICHE Starter Motor Assembly 28P-81890-00-00 High Torque for 2009-2019 Yamaha Grizzly
Hope it helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered one for my 17 700 from Amazon. It's aftermarket but gets great reviews $50. Should be here next week.
I did call my local dealer and he said there was a TSB on em but, I had to bring the bike in and would be without it for 2-3 weeks.Trailer, 45 min drive, down time................ Taking my chances on the $50 starter delivered to my door.
NICHE Starter Motor Assembly 28P-81890-00-00 High Torque for 2009-2019 Yamaha Grizzly
Hope it helps
This is the one I am actually looking at

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great, buy one and then I won't feel alone if it's shitty. lol. Truthfully though, it's easy to make the quick assumption that the shared problem we're having with these starters is the battery. I replaced my battery last week because I'm a retard and now I have 2 good batteries and 1 bad starter. Don't be like me. Check your starter first. It's a Known issue.
I'll post About the NICHE unit after I install it. Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last night after having a trickle charger on the battery for a couple of days and an indication from the charger that the battery was fully charged, I attempted to start the Grizz...all I got was clicking. I have had this issue once before and decided to jump across the solenoid posts. The Grizz started up. So today I placed an order for a new solenoid.

·
Premium Member
12,854 Posts
I'm new to this thread, it sounds like low voltage. I suggest cleaning and tightening the cable connections first.

Reactions: Skip1 and Patroller

·
Registered
96 Posts
My ‘16 went thought two OEM starters (magnets debonded). I had no issue using aftermarket the third time. Time will tell how that works out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seems there's been some discussion about the compression release system not functioning properly. I wonder if that's contributing to starter motor failures?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update on the NICHE starter: Installed today and works great as expected. I used a sharpie on the new starter case to doc date, miles, hours. My 2017 had 99.5 hrs at failure. We'll see how long this motor lasts. Cheers.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
499 Posts
Reading this and a couple of things....the 2016 had the compression release had a bad batch of that should of been replaced on your 2017 by the dealer if not, might consider getting serviced if a TSB on. My initial OEM starter on Partszilla showed in stock but after waiting for several weeks, they admitted it had to come from Japan so I found one in Flordia from a dealer.
Looking forward, if it happens again (there is a searchable thread on this) may consider just ordering on-line one of those cheaper one's if time sensitive. So will be watching the experience on this China made one. Wishing you luck. J

1 - 15 of 15 Posts