Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 700 / 2009 Grizzly 450
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son bought a '09 700 that needed rebuilt. We rebuilt it back to original which was ith a 734 105.5 mm BBK. It has a HMF on it and normal airlifter with 1 snorkel tube on the air box. The guy we bought it from handed us a PCV with it but I have no experience with them.

So far I've got some maps on it from their website and also copied some from a raptor 700 but no luck. I've got it to idle with one of the maps but it runs really rough and it won't run too far past idle. Any help with mapping or maps that are close would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
66 Posts
I suggest paying for some dyno time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to avoid dropping any more money into the bike. I was hoping someone would help me out with a dyno map.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the tuner off and adjusted the valves and it idles now but does not accelerate. I got a wet clutch issue I'm addressing now since it was struggling to get up and go but I'm sure there's still going to be some hesitation issues when accelerating.

·
Premium Member
10,911 Posts
I was trying to avoid dropping any more money into the bike. I was hoping someone would help me out with a dyno map.
I think your problem will be nobody has dyno information.
I don't remember more than a couple members using a dyno, plus maybe one company offering tuning service, and none copied the data here. There's probably not the info you ask for here because dyno time is very expensive.
Over the years a few members reported different programmer setting at different r.p.m. ranges, and results by butt-dyno findings, but I don't remember the thread names.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I read more and more that's what I was taking away from my research. There are some raptor 700 maps that might work when I get back to that point. For now this bike has been a long project since I have my 14 yr old doing all the work. It's rewarding seeing him look at a manual and figure things out to include using torque wrenches. The previous owner spent a lot of money on this bike setting it up with all the bells and whistles but didn't let us know the motor was a time bomb waiting to go off. Thanks for the advice, its always nice getting help from a veteran member.

·
Premium Member
10,911 Posts
Ah.....a project for your son....good on ya!
As you have a ticking bomb, now with a wet-clutch failure, you can now mention to your son how to slow down or prevent wet-clutch problems in the future with c.v.t. mods to raise the pulley ratio, thus reduce the strain on the wet-clutch. Show the kid the old man is up on his game :)
Your biggest problem is the snorkel set-up.
Next, I bet his bike has taller tires, another big problem.
THEN, your air pump (the engine) wants more gas due to the larger than stock bore, but the snorkel set-up that chokes down the air volume needs attention.
I suggest you add a signature to list everything that has been done to the bike, especially your bike.
Then decide where your son wants to start, then let us know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts