Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys went for a ride tonight, drove off the side of a ledge and flipped into a creek, i think it rolled over all the way but i got up right away and flipped it on its side. At this point it was laying on its right side. It shut off, my buddies helped me flip it back on all 4s, started it up and it was boggy so i revved it up a bunch till the motor ran and idled smooth. Now i go to put it in gear and it wouldnt move. It started to move a little bit in reverse but barely. Towed her home and now im asking for your help where do i start to look. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is it selecting gears correctly no damage to selector other than that pull the cover off the CVT and run it up in park check it all operating as it should check the drive shaft are all ok.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
You most likely got water in the belt housing. Pull the drain plug and see if water comes out. If so, now you'll need to do a full servicing of the clutches.

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
X-2 on water in the c.v.t. cover as the first suspect, hope you didn't break the axles.

·
Registered
247 Posts
X-3 on the water in the cvt. It is easy to check, like mentioned pull the plug at the bottom of the belt cover. If there's water in there that is a good sign in the sense that you found the issue. Let it idle with the plug out and drain all the water out. Once it stops draining I have revved it just a bit to spin everything out and dry up. Your four-wheeler should operate as it should at this point. (you should still pull apart and clean everything up in side the case and re-grease the rollers and cam plate slides. Nothing to freak out over, I've been there many many times. Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much guys im going to check it as soon as im done work. Is it hard to service the clutch?

·
Registered
247 Posts
No, its not hard at all. Once you do it and understand how it works its a walk in the park. Having the right tools is the most important thing I think for doing clutch work. Doesn't have to be store bought but something to hold the clutches stationary when putting back together is very helpful. I have included a picture of my daughter when she was 10 helping me with mine. It really is a walk in the park, so don't be afraid to get in there and learn. Any questions just stop and post up on here.
cw2.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys here's an update, so turns out my motor sucked up water as well. Ive done about 4 oil changes and going to do a couple more. I took the belt cover plug out sure enough buncha water. Took the cover off and there was more water. Ran the machine a few times it seemed to run fine. Dried the air filter. At this point i think I'll be okay. How would i know if i did any damage to the motor with that water being in there, it runs fine right now but is there something long term i should be worried about?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your motor is probably fine if it starts up and runs fine. Typically if water is sucked up and bends a rod it will not start back up in my experience or will make noise. Just make sure the oil stays clean after you run it a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay thanks thats a bit of a relief. I took it for a drive and i uno if its in my head but it feels like maybe i lost power? I honestly think im overthinking this but stupid me when i towed it home i left it running in neutral thinking it was better for it for some reason now im just worried i did some damage inside. Is there a way to tell?

·
Registered
247 Posts
The only way I would think is to maybe keep an eye on the oil for any metallic like particles. That would give you an idea on the bearings, but honestly I don't think you did much if any damage. Of coarse it wasn't good for it but I would bet your probably ok. Im saying that as one who personally has swamped my own machine four of five times before. Key is to pull the spark plug before turning over to spit the water out and then oil change after oil change until it is clean. If you run into a situation like this again and it is unavoidable get quick with shutting the engine off before it sucks the water into it. Often times easier said than done I know, but something to think about if going into uncharted territory. Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only way I would think is to maybe keep an eye on the oil for any metallic like particles. That would give you an idea on the bearings, but honestly I don't think you did much if any damage. Of coarse it wasn't good for it but I would bet your probably ok. Im saying that as one who personally has swamped my own machine four of five times before. Key is to pull the spark plug before turning over to spit the water out and then oil change after oil change until it is clean. If you run into a situation like this again and it is unavoidable get quick with shutting the engine off before it sucks the water into it. Often times easier said than done I know, but something to think about if going into uncharted territory. Lol
Yeah i think your right, man thanks so much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts