Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks..
My grizz 700eps is often hard to start both in summer and winter. Cold and warm.
I have checked battery and wires.
The starter seems to strugle with turning the motor, like its to high compresion or something. Sometimes it backfires.
Is it posible to check the ignition on the display to se if its set wrong? What is the standard setting?
I always get it started , but sometimes i kill the battery trying..
Could it be a decompress problem?

Runar.
Norway

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Sounds like tight valve clearances to me. If you have never checked them, now is the time.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Dezz was was spot on checking the valves. You said the battery was good but did you load test it to make sure?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Valves checked. Ok. New battery 6 months ago. I have not tested the battery, but i asumed it was good sinse it is that new.. but it can of course be a bad battery..

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I am thinking weak battery or weak starter motor at this point...going in only what you have said already.

What kind of battery is it? Was it a cheapo, no name battery? If so, they usually fail quite quickly. A few months is not uncommon. The dealer I used to work for stopped selling them because of their high failure rate.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Would the 2011 have a decompression spring? Wonder if it might be getting weak making it not "decompress" all the way causing the starter to work harder like it has a HC piston in it. Just a thought if everything else checked out ok. Could have made the starter weak since it has to work so much harder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It a noname agm battery. . Might be the battery that is making the truble.. what is the best type of battery i can buy? Any good brand type is good enough?

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I'm guessing you checked all connections. One quick, easy and cheap thing to check off the list is a new spark plug.

Reactions: PA. GRIZZLY

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To day i was at a friends house, the grizz started ok, but when i was to leave,2 hours later, i crank it like 10 rounds before it backfired. Did this two times, and it started the third..
The drove like nothing had happend..
Wierd..
Might be the plug as you say.. what number on the plug should i use? Now i use a 6. As in the service book. I think the ngk site say a #7?

·
Registered
129 Posts
That would be awesome if it were just a plug like BD suggests. Sorry I just skip ahead assuming folks have checked the easy/cheap stuff first. If it's been a while change that puppy to whatever you manual calls for and don't forget to set the gap. I don't see many "weak" plugs, they either work or they don't kind of like a coil. Load test that battery you have, even a no name AGM batt has got to be better than a no name lead acid type. Do you use a batt tender? Keep us posted on what you find out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will take my battery to a guy i know that havw a battery tester.. also i have been searching on the net for solutions, and i find some with the exact same problems. Some of the fix for it seems to be weak grounding wire/ starter wires! One guy replaced all main ground wires with bigger one and also added som extras from motor to frame. Problem gone! I will look at that tomorow.
Others had a problem with the decompression switch/pin. I dont know how to test that, so i will start with xhecking the battery and the wires!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello again.
Its been some time since i last posted. I put on one extra thick ground cable from ground cable on the starter and connected it to the frame. After that i checked the battery with a electronic batterytester. Battery fine. 98%.
Its started fine all winter until today. It suddenly could not turn the motor. I heard the starter turning very slow. Some beeping sound came from the starter relay. Hit the starter button several times. Same thing. Strugling with turning the engine.
Checked the valves. Ok. Checked the compression pin movement. Seems ok. Moves nice up and down.
Soo.. now what? Whats left now is the starter relay and the starter motor.
What do you think? Can the starter motor normaly work ok, then suddenly struggle turning?
The same about the relay?
By the way,- i ceep the battery connected to a battery tender the hole winter.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
not sure where you are and the temp but your oil may be too stiff. I run 15/40 and would not bother to try starting when it is too cold here. Would rather be in a truck than riding in the cold. I am getting old......

·
Registered
800 Posts
It a noname agm battery. . Might be the battery that is making the truble.. what is the best type of battery i can buy? Any good brand type is good enough?
I don't have a problem with running an acid battery. I have had good luck with interstate batteries. I will stop and look at what I have in my Grizzly now and let you know. DO NOT BUY A NAPA BATTERY.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Could be the battery now, measure the voltage on it while charging and with charger removed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It starts right up 90% of the time, but sometimes it suddenly struggle turning that starter. Its not the oil. I use 5-40 oil. It started fine all winter while snowplowing. In minus 15c.
Then suddenly sloooow turning starer. Can the starter have bad brushes? Would'nt it behave poorly all the time then?
Bad connection in the starter relay?
I also might look thru all the cable connections from the battery to the starter again..

·
Registered
269 Posts
Certainly check all the connections again, helped last time, wire brush the bolt threads as well as the terminals & check where they sit, if that area has paint on it the earth cannot get a good connection & the screw threads do all the work. Couple of guys had problems with the battery connection screws being a touch too long & bottoming out on the battery, not giving the leads proper tension, worth checking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finaly found the error in the starter system!!!
Its the starter motor.
Pulled out the starter, and i could see some grey stuff coming out along the axel. I could not manage to turn it by hand. Opened it, and out came a bunch of broken magnets in a 1000 pieces. Finally found the problem!
Why it has become like this i dont know, but i guess its some water involved.

New starter on the way..

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finaly installed the starter. And what a difference!! Barely tuched the button and the engine started! In -10 degree celsius! Now we're talking!!...

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Glamsand, thanks for coming back and posting the fix for your issue and closing this thread properly.

I appreciate it when people do this, and I know many other members on here do as well. It makes the forum better and it may help someone else in the future who may read this thread.

Reactions: mainehunter
1 - 20 of 21 Posts