Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a used 2011 700 in really good shape. Any major issues with this year model? Are the 14+ Grizzlies much improved?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Found a used 2011 700 in really good shape. Any major issues with this year model? Are the 14+ Grizzlies much improved?
If it's in solid shape, with preferably low hrs and mileage, it's definitely worth it over a beat up, high mileage 14-15 grizzly.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
3000 miles is low mileage for a 2011, How many hrs?

·
Registered
288 Posts
IMHO The best year, last year made in Japan. How much they asking?

·
Registered
787 Posts
$4k Last year japan really?
Sorry if the last year. In 2010, yamaha announced it was moving manufacturing from japan to usa starting in the 2011 modle year. If you read the whole press release, it's a 2 year process completing in 2013. There are a few 2013 700 grizzly with a vin that's still built in japan. These are very rare machines.
My old job, we had a guy come in to do forklift, atv, boat, age snowmobile training for our employees. He had a 2013 700 grizz built in japan, he use to talk about that all the time. He said grizzy quality will go downhill being built stateside.
I think i have a pic of the warning stickers on his bike too, in canada, ours are in english & french, but his has japanese characters on it too.
I'll try to look through my old work computer tomorrow morning after work for the pics

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry if the last year. In 2010, yamaha announced it was moving manufacturing from japan to usa starting in the 2011 modle year. If you read the whole press release, it's a 2 year process completing in 2013. There are a few 2013 700 grizzly with a vin that's still built in japan. These are very rare machines.
My old job, we had a guy come in to do forklift, atv, boat, age snowmobile training for our employees. He had a 2013 700 grizz built in japan, he use to talk about that all the time. He said grizzy quality will go downhill being built stateside.
I think i have a pic of the warning stickers on his bike too, in canada, ours are in english & french, but his has japanese characters on it too.
I'll try to look through my old work computer tomorrow morning after work for the pics

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
But the 2011 was definitely japan built ?

·
Registered
2011 grizzly 700 se
25 Posts
I have a 2011 700 that I bought used with low hrs/km a couple years ago, it’s a great bike that I have had zero issues with. That seems like a decent price, especially right now where prices in the used market are a bit inflated.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,972 Posts
Here are the differences, year to year, for 2007-2015

I get the reasoning behind someone saying better assembled when coming from Japan, but doesn’t seem to be info out there that supports that opinion. Even after assembly moved to Georgia, the Grizzly has been a very solid machine. Sure, there have been things like failed starters, but I believe that is a product of where the starter was sourced from, not something that was assembled in Georgia.

Reasoning behind 2014/15 Grizzly 700s being desirable is because of some significant improvements made in 2014 model year, listed in that link. The difference in stability alone is huge for me comparing my previous 2007 Grizzly 700 to my 2014.

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
Why compare the 11 to a 14+. The 14+ are 2" wider. The 11 with proper rims and tires will be knocking on the 50" trail width door. The 14 will ride a little better because of improved shocks and the geometry of the shocks. Some riders wanted the handle bar head light seems many hate it. Some wanted the fuel tank lower for stability and more storage. Same thing some hate the change.
Some of the prior years shook out most bugs. The 11 is a great machine and you are saving some big bucks to buy the tires and rimes and plenty of fuel.

·
Registered
2011 grizzly 700 se
25 Posts
My 2011 has rims with offset that widens the stance and I find it very stable, and with radial tires i think it handles pretty well. Are the newer ones better? Probably. But I got a great deal on a machine that hardly broke in, and it goes everywhere all the newer machines do. If I had the cash I’d upgrade the shocks, but it’s still way better than anything I’ve owned previously.

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
I like the Kodi's over the New Grizzlies because they kept the same frame size as the pre 2014 grizzlies. With my choice of rims and tires they measure 50" at the rear. We do ride many trails that even a ½"wider would be an issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are the differences, year to year, for 2007-2015

I get the reasoning behind someone saying better assembled when coming from Japan, but doesn’t seem to be info out there that supports that opinion. Even after assembly moved to Georgia, the Grizzly has been a very solid machine. Sure, there have been things like failed starters, but I believe that is a product of where the starter was sourced from, not something that was assembled in Georgia.

Reasoning behind 2014/15 Grizzly 700s being desirable is because of some significant improvements made in 2014 model year, listed in that link. The difference in stability alone is huge for me comparing my previous 2007 Grizzly 700 to my 2014.
Major difference in stablilty?
I like the Kodi's over the New Grizzlies because they kept the same frame size as the pre 2014 grizzlies. With my choice of rims and tires they measure 50" at the rear. We do ride many trails that even a ½"wider would be an issue.
Yeah after checking out the new Grizzlys and Kodiak side by i definitely prefer the size of the new kodiak. So the pre-2014 grizzlys are about that size?

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,972 Posts
Major difference in stablilty?
On the 07 I ran 1" spacers with Yamaha wheels. It was definitely a very fun bike and mtn goat, the 14 just feels better planted to me. I will say that I rode a pretty tight 50" trail last fall that was out and back about 45 miles and I hit many side rocks and stumps so I had to be more careful and that was a negative. But on 50" trails that aren't as tight, I much prefer the feel of this current bike, stability and planted feeling. Of course not everyone is the same and some are going to prefer the feel of the Kodiak and narrower pre-14 Grizzly. I believe those also have a tighter turning radius.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts