Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a problem that’s been vexing me for a bit now, and I thought I’d ask for some advice.

My 2012 Grizzly 700 had developed an issue around starting. It’s worse when it is cold, or when the bike has been sitting, but it’s generally bad no matter what.
What happens is I go to start it and I get that rapid clicking sound. Sometimes it will turn over a few times before resorting to the clicking. The battery will show full charge. However, usually, if I jump it or keep it on the trickle charger then it will turn over and start. The winch is new, and the problem preceded it.

Here’s another piece of the puzzle, sometimes when I have my headlights on and run my winch a lot (with the snow plow) the machine will shut off (especially if I’ve just started it). Just before this happens the control unit for the hand warmers (with the little led lights) will start flashing and acting up.

I’ve checked cables that are obvious, but now it’s gotten worse and to the point that I need to begin to diagnose so I can repair so it’s reliable again.

Any thoughts or hints?

Thanks so much!
Matthew

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
All signs point toward a weak battery.
A battery charger saying it's "full" only means the battery will no longer take charge. It means nothing of the battery condition (whether it's good or bad).

Having the battery load tested is best, but you can do also use a multimeter to get an idea of battery condition.

Charge the battery fully (when charger states full). Remove charger and let battery sit for 30 minutes to stabilize. Check voltage using a multimeter. If below 12.7 volts, battery is questionable. If voltage is under 12.5 volts, battery is bad and requires replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
X3 on load test battery. It sounds like it won't carry a load like starting or winching.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I agree with the above that it’s a bad battery. A battery going bad makes electronics to funky stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you all. I'll pick up a new battery and start with the simple stuff first! Its a 2012 and this is the original battery, so its starting to make sense!

Matthew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts