Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am intrested in doing this mod, looks easy enough to do, but how do I know what size shim to install .5mm or the 1mm? Definitely looking for some more low end grunt, but dont want to be a super hard engagement.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Start first by determining your current pulley ratio. From what I've read, most guys have no problem fitting in 1mm or even 1.5mm in your generation 700. But others can chime in on that. Whatever amount of shim you add, write down your new pulley ratio afterward.

You won't have any issues with a hard engagement since the actual engagement is determined by the wet clutch. That's part of the greatness of the ultramatic system is that primary pulley changes don't negatively affect engagement rpm.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Just to give you an example.

Without the shim my cvt had an initial ratio of 2.4 :1. So the primary sheave had to turn 2.4 times to make the secondary turn once. I added 1.5mm of shim and now my ratio is 2.65:1. So around 10% reduction, witch is 10% MORE torque off the line. But I lost 10% Top speed to. I used to hit 99 km/h now I only hit 90 km/h.

As tythomps mentioned this system will not engage any different with the shim added, you will simply have more pull off the line with less top speed. HTH

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Hey powerstroke. When I was asking these questions years ago, I was advised the same. These guys are right on. I would suggest that if your looking at putting 1.5mm in, I'd go ahead and put the other .2mm that should fit in there. Any more than that and you may run into the primary cover screws contacting the cage. Most guys that have thrown 1.5 in there ended up putting the additional .2 in the next time they were in there. Me included. If you want even more, you may be able to grind the cage a bit to allow clearance for the primary screws. Just make sure you have spline showing on the shaft when you put the primary back on. This stuff ain't rocket science but does need to be done correctly to avoid expensive repairs. Do your homework. If you want to look at some videos on the subject, search Jim Porter on YouTube. He has some vids up there on his channel. Good luck and let us know if you have questions! We're here to help.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey powerstroke. When I was asking these questions years ago, I was advised the same. These guys are right on. I would suggest that if your looking at putting 1.5mm in, I'd go ahead and put the other .2mm that should fit in there. Any more than that and you may run into the primary cover screws contacting the cage. Most guys that have thrown 1.5 in there ended up putting the additional .2 in the next time they were in there. Me included. If you want even more, you may be able to grind the cage a bit to allow clearance for the primary screws. Just make sure you have spline showing on the shaft when you put the primary back on. This stuff ain't rocket science but does need to be done correctly to avoid expensive repairs. Do your homework. If you want to look at some videos on the subject, search Jim Porter on YouTube. He has some vids up there on his channel. Good luck and let us know if you have questions! We're here to help.
I've been that "expensive repairs" guy when I didn't tighten my primary nut properly. Nothing an extra $500 couldn't fix haha. ;)

Reactions: okbear

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
I've been that "expensive repairs" guy when I didn't tighten my primary nut properly. Nothing an extra $500 couldn't fix haha. ;)
Yep. I was almost that guy but caught it before any serious damage was done. Had I not, it would have ruined a trip. This is one instance when torque value is very important. I even use a little locktite just for peace of mind! lol

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
100 ft/lbs

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Yep. I was almost that guy but caught it before any serious damage was done. Had I not, it would have ruined a trip. This is one instance when torque value is very important. I even use a little locktite just for peace of mind! lol
I use the blue colored Loctite because it is easier to remove than the red and less likely to damage the threads during removal

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must be doing something really wrong here.

I've done clutches on sleds and my sportsmans before but I cannot figure this out.

The issue I am having is when I spread the secondary clutch to open up the clutch to give the belt more room I get the primary clutch back on go to take the 2 10mm bolts out and the clutch will not come back and tighten up the belt. Even if I take the shims out it's still the same issue.

What am I doing wrong? It's almost as if the belt getting stuck in the secondary clutch and I have to pull the belt all the way back off and then once the belt is off it snaps back?

I tried putting the primary clutch back on and working the belt around the clutches which is impossible. Any help would be great

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
You should be able to easily free spin the sheaves counter clock wise with the belt installed and after many turns the belt should ride up into place on the secondary sheave.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I even started the quad, revved it up expecting it to snap out and it never did. I gave up for tonight.

I will try again tomorrow.....I read some people have had to remove both bolts very slowly and evenly and tap on the center of the clutch and it popped it back out.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yes, easing off the pusher bolts on the secondary gradually while spinning the sheaves does accelerate the process. You should only need one pusher bolt to accomplish the task.

Did you accidentally push your primary outer sheave inwards while installing the primary sheave or the belt?

Also don't run the bike t'ill you figure out what's wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I screwed in both 10mm bolts, took the primary clutch off,put the shims in, bolted the primary back up, took the 10mm bolts out, and the clutch sheave wouldn't release and was stuck. Tried it 5 times and every time it would release until I completely took the belt off cause it was getting "pinched" in between both sheaves. Only time I touched the secondary was when I took the 10mm bolts in or out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you accidentally push your primary outer sheave inwards while installing the primary sheave or the belt?

Not 100% sure what you mean by this

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
What I ment is, did you at anytime accidentally push on this surface (two red Xs in image) while installing this sheave or even after you installed it on the bike ? Cause if you did you lost tension on your weights and they may have fallen out of position. If this happened your primary movable sheave will never return back to its proper position and the belt will never completely drop down between your primary sheaves. Commun mistake when learning these bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I ment is, did you at anytime accidentally push on this surface (two red Xs in image) while installing this sheave or even after you installed it on the bike ? Cause if you did you lost tension on your weights and they may have fallen out of position. If this happened your primary movable sheave will never return back to its proper position and the belt will never completely drop down between your primary sheaves. Commun mistake when learning these bike.
Can I take that apart to reset the weights?

Thats not the clutch giving me the issue its the secondary clutch that wont close back up after removing the 2 10mm bolts, could the reason its not snapping back because that primary clutch is now messed up?

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
I screwed in both 10mm bolts, took the primary clutch off,put the shims in, bolted the primary back up, took the 10mm bolts out, and the clutch sheave wouldn't release and was stuck. Tried it 5 times and every time it would release until I completely took the belt off cause it was getting "pinched" in between both sheaves. Only time I touched the secondary was when I took the 10mm bolts in or out.
Can I take that apart to reset the weights?

Thats not the clutch giving me the issue its the secondary clutch that wont close back up after removing the 2 10mm bolts, could the reason its not snapping back because that primary clutch is now messed up?
Hey...2006powerstroke90...

I suggest for no other reason other than to eliminate the primary of the problem...remove it and reset the weights. However this time before you handle the primary stuff some newspaper or a piece of hose in between the grease cover and the cam plate. This will keep the weights in place while you install it. After it is installed remove whatever you used to hold it in place.

The belt can be installed after the primary is installed I've done many times. The jack bolts need to be installed on the secondary. Spread out the secondary gently but completely. Don't use an impact of any kind.

If you install the belt before you install the primary it is very important to tighten the primary nut in a few phases. You will need remove the jack bolts and you must rotate the cvt several rotations in between each phase. The rotating will cause the secondary to close riding the belt up to the outer edge while riding the belt deeper into the primary. Tightening the nut without rotating the CVT will pinch the belt in the primary. Which can result in real damage$$$

While you have it apart this time... it would be a good idea to service the secondary. The jack bolts must be removed first to service the secondary. Remove it from the machine. Take it a part, clean the grease out, regrease and reinstall. If the secondary does not close (snap back) it maybe have been damaged if the jack bolt had been over tightened.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts