Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if my shocks have weak springs or if the dampers have all lost their charge. These shocks have about 2K miles on them and they just don't rebound - they never really have since new. If I turn up the preload, I get minimal improvement but very little compression. Riding the trails with these shocks feels like I don't have any suspension.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I installed some used (1K miles) shocks from a 2010. I'll see how these ride when the trails open up this season. At least these rebound. I hope they aren't pogo sticks. I know... I know... Elkas are the solution. I only paid $100 for the whole set of of these shocks so I'm hoping they tide me over for a little while.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I installed some used (1K miles) shocks from a 2010. I'll see how these ride when the trails open up this season. At least these rebound. I hope they aren't pogo sticks. I know... I know... Elkas are the solution. I only paid $100 for the whole set of of these shocks so I'm hoping they tide me over for a little while.

I have no clue if there is a "hack" like this for a 700 but on a 660 you can put older yfz 450 front shocks on the front and have some nice piggy backs for $250 off eBay.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Man thats strange, but it looks like you've got it corrected from the second set of videos.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to add in my original post that 2012 was the year the 700 got the "upgraded" nitrogen charged shocks which were supposed to be a performance advantage. When the '14s came out, I was so jealous of how much better the suspension action seemed on the dealer floors that I considered trading. Then, over the past Winter, I did a bunch of work on my brother's '09 550 with 3300 miles on it and his suspension was SO much more active and dare I say "plush" than mine that I went on a quest to find some low mileage shocks off an older model to try. I'm doing my best to resist the urge to throw down major cash on Elkas. Who knows, it may ride so much better with these 2010's that all I'll need is an Elka sticker to feel good. LOL! (Who am I trying to kid right?)

Reactions: okbear and RansomP

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
I forgot to add in my original post that 2012 was the year the 700 got the "upgraded" nitrogen charged shocks which were supposed to be a performance advantage. When the '14s came out, I was so jealous of how much better the suspension action seemed on the dealer floors that I considered trading. Then, over the past Winter, I did a bunch of work on my brother's '09 550 with 3300 miles on it and his suspension was SO much more active and dare I say "plush" than mine that I went on a quest to find some low mileage shocks off an older model to try. I'm doing my best to resist the urge to throw down major cash on Elkas. Who knows, it may ride so much better with these 2010's that all I'll need is an Elka sticker to feel good. LOL! (Who am I trying to kid right?)
Elkas..... Do it!! Haha
>:)>:)>:)

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I can send you my stock shocks off my 2018 for free if you pay shipping. If you still need Then that is. They have 20 miles on them.

·
Registered
800 Posts
@okbear, when are you going to bite the bullet? You have been drooling for YEARS now...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can send you my stock shocks off my 2018 for free if you pay shipping. If you still need Then that is. They have 20 miles on them.
Thanks for the offer JIL. If your shocks would fit on my machine, I would take you up on that.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Before assuming you have an issue with your shocks, first check all a-arm mounting bolts for proper torque. Might be a good idea to lubricate them as well.

Several years ago I found a Bruin 350 with a really stiff suspension. All a-arm mounting bolts were way over-torqued. This prevented the bushings from flexing properly, and thus gave a stiff ride and slow moving rebound. All bolts were removed, lubricated with white lithium grease and properly torqued. Suspension worked perfect after that.

Not saying this will be your issue. But it's worth a look. It's free.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My father has a 2012 700 grizzly with 900 km on it.
He found it as rough as a brick compared to the 2006 arctic cat 500 he sold to by the grizzly.
The rebound and compression damping on them was very stiff.
I had an old set of stock shocks from an 09 grizzly. I swapped the out and he loves it. Way way way smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My father has a 2012 700 grizzly with 900 km on it.
He found it as rough as a brick compared to the 2006 arctic cat 500 he sold to by the grizzly.
The rebound and compression damping on them was very stiff.
I had an old set of stock shocks from an 09 grizzly. I swapped the out and he loves it. Way way way smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks! I'm hoping for the same results. We just need Winter to evacuate so our trails can open and I can test it out.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I forgot to add in my original post that 2012 was the year the 700 got the "upgraded" nitrogen charged shocks which were supposed to be a performance advantage. When the '14s came out, I was so jealous of how much better the suspension action seemed on the dealer floors that I considered trading. Then, over the past Winter, I did a bunch of work on my brother's '09 550 with 3300 miles on it and his suspension was SO much more active and dare I say "plush" than mine that I went on a quest to find some low mileage shocks off an older model to try. I'm doing my best to resist the urge to throw down major cash on Elkas. (Who am I trying to kid right?)
Hope things work out. For the money and effort invested you really can't go wrong.

On a side note

My 09 550 SE with 5000 miles has amazingly sporty but smooth feel to the suspension and ride. My buddies 09 700 with 4500 miles on the other hand has ridiculously hard rear springs. Even set to minimal spring tension it rides hard and every bump feels harsh because of it. Both bike's have their original suspension components. I absolutely don't understand how two 09 Grizzlys can ride and feel so polar opposite .

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm glad you found a workable solution @Zoomer. I totally understand where you started from. I'm eager to try out these shocks. I'm hoping the snow melts soon so our trails dry out and I can test em out before June. Thanks for sharing your thread link.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm glad you found a workable solution @Zoomer. I totally understand where you started from. I'm eager to try out these shocks. I'm hoping the snow melts soon so our trails dry out and I can test em out before June. Thanks for sharing your thread link.
Did your replacement shocks make a difference?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did your replacement shocks make a difference?

I have about 70 miles on my "upgraded" 2010 OE shocks and so far, I have to say they are WAY better than the ones my machine came with. They don't pack up during a series of compressions like my original shocks. A series of small bumps are now quite a bit smoother but they don't have the cushy feel that the KYB shocks on my Wolverine R-Spec does. I know I'm comparing two very different machines, but that thing rides really nice!

I'm still lusting for a set of Elkas but these will do for now. The original owner of these shocks apparently rode them in quite a bit of salt so they had some rust on the springs and shock bodies. I used the ratchet strap method to get the springs off so I could clean things up. I wasn't very comfortable using that method so I built a homemade spring compressor out of some scrap lumber and a 4 ton hydraulic jack. I was able to get the springs back on after painting them without too much damage to my fancy blue paint job.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a picture of my spring compressor. I just used some scrap wood and mending plates and bolts with a 4 ton Harbor Freight jack. It was really a lot of messing around but our trails were all closed for the snow and thaw anyway. I had so much trouble with the ratchet strap method I was afraid I was going to be seriously hurt. These springs are so short and there isn't much room to work between the shock body and spring. The control of the hydraulic jack made the job a lot easier and I wasn't afraid for my life. LOL!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have about 70 miles on my "upgraded" 2010 OE shocks and so far, I have to say they are WAY better than the ones my machine came with. They don't pack up during a series of compressions like my original shocks. A series of small bumps are now quite a bit smoother but they don't have the cushy feel that the KYB shocks on my Wolverine R-Spec does. I know I'm comparing two very different machines, but that thing rides really nice!

I'm still lusting for a set of Elkas but these will do for now. The original owner of these shocks apparently rode them in quite a bit of salt so they had some rust on the springs and shock bodies. I used the ratchet strap method to get the springs off so I could clean things up. I wasn't very comfortable using that method so I built a homemade spring compressor out of some scrap lumber and a 4 ton hydraulic jack. I was able to get the springs back on after painting them without too much damage to my fancy blue paint job.

Happy to hear things turned out for ya.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts