Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2013 Grizzly 700 fuel issues

955 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  diverscale 
#1 ·
We have an issue with our Grizzly, ran out of fuel and now wont idle runs super rough. No blue smoke but fuel indicator on dash is flashing (shaded full) despite being either full or empty. Just put in a new battery a few weeks ago and was running all sweet.. is there any fixes out there we can try to achieve without pushing it on to a trailer to mechanic? Appreciate any ideas :)

#2 ·
Welcome from Colorado.
I suggest a full tune-up including checking and adjusting the valve lash if needed.
you can download a no-cost f.s.m. from our member at 501parts.com
We're here to help you as go through the process......a video will help us help you best.

#3 ·
Because every fuel tank has some dirt, debris and possibly water in it running a EFI machine out of fuel is a bad thing. The fuel pump has a mesh pickup filter that maybe clogged, the fuel pressure regulator maybe clogged. The fuel gauge is powered by a sender built in to the fuel pump it could be damaged by dirt, debris and water.
You may get away with cleaning and flushing the tank and pump out plus running some injector cleaner. Ultimately you may need to replace the pump.

#5 · (Edited)
Because every fuel tank has some dirt, debris and possibly water in it running a EFI machine out of fuel is a bad thing. The fuel pump has a mesh pickup filter that maybe clogged, the fuel pressure regulator maybe clogged. The fuel gauge is powered by a sender built in to the fuel pump it could be damaged by dirt, debris and water.
You may get away with cleaning and flushing the tank and pump out plus running some injector cleaner. Ultimately you may need to replace the pump.

Yep took out the fuel pump last night, fuel filter mesh totally blocked solid with debris, and pump very corroded - will replace and see.. cheers!

#4 ·
I don't know specifically about the grizzly fuel pump, but fuel injected pumps are often lubricated/cooled with the gas itself. Running out of gas could potentially damage a pump on a car. Did yamaha do something to the pump to prevent this, I don't know, but that could be something to check out.

Did you try to restart after running out of gas? Pump trying to prime the system dry would overheat pretty quickly as far as I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.