Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok sometimes the 4x4 will turn on and off when it wants to. I was riding yesterday and it wouldn't go into diff lock also. Is this just the handle bar switch? I am going to take it apart and clean it and see what happens. I have cleaned the plug end but not the switch itself yet. Might just save time and but new switch if it's the culprit.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Other have cleaned the switch and the problem went away.
It seems this started with the '13' year models.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The grease they us sucks if you have black marks where the contacts rub together clean them with a good contact cleaner and put a quality dielectric grease on it. I did this to my 2013 2 years ago and no problems since.

·
Vendor
686 Posts
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/501parts-com/48506-updated-4wd-testing-repair-step-step-videos-parts-links.html

If your 4wd is going in and out without pressing the button, it is something that you can fix fairly easy. This is actually a common problem with the 12-15 models. Most of the time, the problem boils down to an intermittent connection. After dealing with this on several occasions, I have found a few things that will fix the issue.
Step 1- Pull the plug off of your servo that’s on the front diff and put a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts and plug it back in. Ensure the connection is tight. Do the same thing to your plug coming from the 4wd switch. This usually fixes the problem. It also doesn’t hurt to apply dielectric grease to the 4wd relays while you’re at it. If you’re still having the problem, proceed to step 2.
Step 2- If you’re still having problems after doing the previous step, remove the switch, clean the contacts inside and reassemble. You can see a video here on how to do so.
If you are still having problems after doing this, you could possibly have a broken or shorted wire somewhere between the switch, relays, and servo. Give the wiring a good once over inspection and see if you can see any obvious problems. Let us know if we can help you further.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the video!
Took mine apart and some of the contacts were black.
Sanded them and put some electric grease and works
Perfect now. Goes straight in 4x4 and diff lock right away.
May blink once and it's in.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Great video. May i make one suggestion. Instead of sandpaper, use a pencil eraser. This will clean the contacts without any chance of removing material and will prevent any grit from entering that area along with the grease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts