Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello . This is my first time ever on a forum. I hope I am in the right place to get some help. I am a heavey duty mechanic by trade but am stumped on this problem
I have a 2014 Grizzly 700. The lower rad hose got pulled off while on a ride . Not sure how long the overheat light was on. We let it cool down then heated some water up and put it in .
Now after a 1 hr ride I let the machine sit until it cools down and remove the rad cap. Coolanat level is low. If I rode for the day it would be overheating due to low coolant level. Here is my troubleshooting done.
System was bled several times to ensure air is removed.
No External leaks.
The water pump vent tube is not leaking coolant.I attached a small bottle to bleed tube while on the ride.
Does not seem to be any combustion bubbles in the rad.
My engine oil is clean, not milky at all.
No smoke from the pipe. I am using antifreeze in the coolant while testing.
While on the ride it will raise the level about 1/2 inch in the expansion reservoir thats all.
I feel the head gasket or cracked head is the problem but my testing does not point me that way.
Can anybody suggest my next step .HELP PLEASE.

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Years ago I had a hot light situation riding two up in the UT desert, stopped to see coolant dripping out the cap, but the engine seemed just fine....hummmmm
I limped back to camp as there was still coolant dripping slowly, let 'er cool down like you did, then removed the cap to see coolant low in the radiator, hummmmmmm
I started the bike and topped off the level in the radiator, let the engine come up to temp and the coolant started to flow, so the pump was OK, hummmmmmmmmmm
It got to where the level stayed up, so I put the cap back on and filled the bottle to full, then took off around camp. She ran just fine, stopped dripping coolant and for the next few days there I kept an eye on the bottle, adding to top off a couple more times, with never a big problem.

Then as I've written in other threads, I was having isolated/irregular/annoying occurrences with boiling gas thinking the engine was running hotter than it liked. That was when I added copper tubing into the upper radiator hose, once again opening the cooling system. I got the hose tubing installed without much lose of coolant, so decided to fill the bottle and let'er suck in what she wanted and took off for a ride. I carried a couple extra quarts of coolant in the box, and did top off the bottle a couple times while out riding, then she stopped sucking in coolant.
That was years ago and she is fine, in fact the factory coolant plus the little bit added by me these two times are still her today.
If you have flow, and the engine is not hot, keep the bottle filed to see if your's sucks in coolant like mine for a while then stops.
These things have ways that are mysterious; nothing on the floor, no coolant in the crank case, nothing in the exhaust but still adding coolant?
I remember mine seemed to keep taking more than I thought would be needed, so keep the bottle filled and see what happens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Time for a compression test.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome from Colorado.
Years ago I had a hot light situation riding two up in the UT desert, stopped to see coolant dripping out the cap, but the engine seemed just fine....hummmmm
I limped back to camp as there was still coolant dripping slowly, let 'er cool down like you did, then removed the cap to see coolant low in the radiator, hummmmmmm
I started the bike and topped off the level in the radiator, let the engine come up to temp and the coolant started to flow, so the pump was OK, hummmmmmmmmmm
It got to where the level stayed up, so I put the cap back on and filled the bottle to full, then took off around camp. She ran just fine, stopped dripping coolant and for the next few days there I kept an eye on the bottle, adding to top off a couple more times, with never a big problem.

Then as I've written in other threads, I was having isolated/irregular/annoying occurrences with boiling gas thinking the engine was running hotter than it liked. That was when I added copper tubing into the upper radiator hose, once again opening the cooling system. I got the hose tubing installed without much lose of coolant, so decided to fill the bottle and let'er suck in what she wanted and took off for a ride. I carried a couple extra quarts of coolant in the box, and did top off the bottle a couple times while out riding, then she stopped sucking in coolant.
That was years ago and she is fine, in fact the factory coolant plus the little bit added by me these two times are still her today.
If you have flow, and the engine is not hot, keep the bottle filed to see if your's sucks in coolant like mine for a while then stops.
These things have ways that are mysterious; nothing on the floor, no coolant in the crank case, nothing in the exhaust but still adding coolant?
I remember mine seemed to keep taking more than I thought would be needed, so keep the bottle filled and see what happens.
Thanks Ridgeway
I did that this morning and I ride for an hr. stop let it cool for an hr . The expansion tank is about the same level maybe 1/2 inch higher, but rad is down again. I did this 3 times . Each time the same result.
I will try a few more times. Hunting season is on its way . Need to have some confidence she will bring me home .

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
Understand....
I stopped worrying about the radiator level, it never seemed to stay at the top.......
I can take off and ride a 100 miles around here, so did .......and as the light never came on and eventually the bottle level settled down, I gave up wondering.
Sometimes I go 30 miles at a time, sometimes 5 miles then stop. Sometimes we sit a few minutes, sometimes we stop for an hour, but she has settled down.
If your's got you back I suggest a few more rides to get a pattern. Watch what happens in the bottle.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Hello . This is my first time ever on a forum. I hope I am in the right place to get some help. I am a heavey duty mechanic by trade but am stumped on this problem
I have a 2014 Grizzly 700. The lower rad hose got pulled off while on a ride . Not sure how long the overheat light was on. We let it cool down then heated some water up and put it in .
Now after a 1 hr ride I let the machine sit until it cools down and remove the rad cap. Coolanat level is low. If I rode for the day it would be overheating due to low coolant level. Here is my troubleshooting done.
System was bled several times to ensure air is removed.
No External leaks.
The water pump vent tube is not leaking coolant.I attached a small bottle to bleed tube while on the ride.
Does not seem to be any combustion bubbles in the rad.
My engine oil is clean, not milky at all.
No smoke from the pipe. I am using antifreeze in the coolant while testing.
While on the ride it will raise the level about 1/2 inch in the expansion reservoir thats all.
I feel the head gasket or cracked head is the problem but my testing does not point me that way.
Can anybody suggest my next step .HELP PLEASE.
@snowflake ...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

You state no external leaks. Did you pressure test the system?
My 2013 700 was overheating sporadically and I would need to add fluid. Because we ride in plenty of water it took several rides to finally catch a glimpse of a wet spot near the bottom of the fan shroud. The problem was that the shroud is very close to the radiator and tiny pebble was stuck there long enough to wear a pin hole in the radiator. Bought a triple core off ebay for $80.00 was the fix.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@snowflake ...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

You state no external leaks. Did you pressure test the system?
My 2013 700 was overheating sporadically and I would need to add fluid. Because we ride in plenty of water it took several rides to finally catch a glimpse of a wet spot near the bottom of the fan shroud. The problem was that the shroud is very close to the radiator and tiny pebble was stuck there long enough to wear a pin hole in the radiator. Bought a triple core off ebay for $80.00 was the fix.
Thanks Reogen.
That is a good point I will be watching for that one.
I do not have tooling to pressure test the rad. I made a few more rides . I can only run about about 3 hrs hard and she overheats due to low coolant in the rad. I am taking it into a shop next week . He tells me he will get it hot then pull the spark plug out and send a camera down the hole . With rad kept under pressure he will see coolant if it is being pulled in to the combustion chamber. He tells me he has seen lots of quads do this exact thing. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK . I got a hold of a camera I stuck it down the spark plug hole when cold. I see a small bit of coolant on top of the piston. So I am going to pull the head off. Does anybody have the cyl head torque specs for me. Hard to pinpoint on internet. Valve lash etc. Wish I had a 2014 grizzly 700 repair manual.

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
You should get a factory service manual to pull the head.
You can download one on forum and vendor member @oleblue22 's website www.511parts.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts