Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new battery, replaced starter relay and my Grizzly still won’t start. Engine does not turn over so guessing it’s not the spark plug. I get one click and nothing else. Can’t figure out what the issue is…dealer recommended new battery and relay so I replaced both but nothing. Thoughts? Help!

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
Is it seized? With the spark plug removed can you turn it over by hand?
Check that the starter wires are in good condition, connects clean and tight.
The starters have had a problem with the field magnets disintegration. This may ultimately be your problem.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not seized. Nothing happens. Question. If it were the starter wouldn’t it at least try to start? Same question with spark plug? In other words wouldn’t it at least “try” to turn over? Because nothing happens at all except lights and dashboard come on. As I said I replaced both battery and starter relay yesterday but nothing.

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
The starters can just completely fail. Most of these magnets fails start slowly. First with harder or slower cranking. Eventually they will completely fail. Same with a bad wire. Resistance will keep climbing until they burn off, short out.
You could bench test the starter to eliminate it from the issue.
The dash and lights are fed by a different wire.

·
Premium Member
12,737 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
The one click then nothing indicates low voltage, probably in the starter but a weak ground connection can cause the same result.
X-2 on clean and check the connection, and have the starter motor checked.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
470 Posts
All good suggestions above, include if getting fuel. I had a similar issue, even using jumper box direct to terminals to exclude the battery, then direct to solenoid posts to exclude and finally bench tested starter...completely delaminated internally.
The folks here will help you figure it out. J

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed new battery, replaced starter relay and my Grizzly still won’t start. Engine does not turn over so guessing it’s not the spark plug. I get one click and nothing else. Can’t figure out what the issue is…dealer recommended new battery and relay so I replaced both but nothing. Thoughts? Help!
Don’t listen to the dealer anymore sounds like the fuse is bad or a loose connection in the wire. Maybe at the battery connections

·
Premium Member
5,871 Posts
Just been through this, my original bolts were to long for the new starter relay causing me to not tighten the positive lead good enough, just popped or actually arced, add a washer problem solved.

make sure the leads that the two bolts tighten down on starter relay are tight and not just the bolt bottomed out in the starter relay.

Reactions: Ridgway81432
1 - 8 of 8 Posts