Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to wire my 2 up seat into the factory tail light wiring.

I've been told that T-tap connectors work fine. But I'm not sure what gauge to use. What gauge is the tail light wiring?

I will be wiring a 4 pin trailer connector.

Just curious if anyone knows which wires are which? i've read enough to know that I could just buy a tester and probably figure it out, but I don't have a tester and have never used one so i thought I'd just throw the question out there.

Is it true that one wire is tail light, one is brake light and one is ground? Making the 4th wire on the 4 pin unnecessary.

Any guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
18 gauge should work fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you do this install yet?

Have any pictures of the install. Which wires you tapped into what?

Sent from my Grizzly 700 somewhere in the Canadian wilderness.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
On the grizzly-black is ground, yellow is brake, Blue is taillight.
On the 4 pin, there are wires for ground, tail light, left high & right high for brake & turn signals, so you can eliminate the 4th wire since you are only working with one light (no turn signals)

Reactions: PA. GRIZZLY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

So I did the install using t-tap connectors. They worked quite well. Sorry no pictures.

I can't remember how I hooked it all up, but what I've been left with is a brake light that shines bright when I'm on the brakes, but no tail light when I turn on the bike's headlights.

I'm not sure if that means I wired it wrong or not. Either way, the biggest thing is having a nice bright brake light for anyone to see when driving behind me on the trail.

I'll pull the covers off and check things out once it warms up a bit.

We are currently experiencing our first winter storm up here in Manitoba. I'm not really interested in working on the bike out in this weather.

Thanks for the interest and input.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
darn. wish i could chime in before you used those awful t-tap connectors.

if you want to do wiring right, never use those.

there is a connector right behind the tail light.. it consists of these, but clear, and watertight...

http://www.gl1800.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Bullet-Service-Connection.jpg?mode=view

pull them apart, and buy yourself a few male and female bullet connectors. put them between the factory connections with 1 wire that connects them, and an additional wire that comes from one side, and goes to wherever you need it. its a way of tying into the factory wiring without splicing, or using those god awful t-taps that almost always fail, and damage the factory wires.

Reactions: PA. GRIZZLY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the connectors you're talking about on the factory wires. Didn't know how to pull them apart and didn't want to cause greater damage to the wires. So far the T-taps have been fine, and I've swamped my bike on a couple rides since the install. They seem to be holding up so far.

What you think as far as me not having a tail light and only a brake light? Did I wire it wrong?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
the t taps are fine... but the light isnt working right....

hahaha.

seriously though... if i had to guess, id say that you didnt get a good connection with the tail light t-tap.. with only 3 wires, if you hooked them up wrong, they would either not work at all, or you would have your brake/tail come on opposite from what they should.

t taps generally work ok right off the bat. thats why people use them. they are quick and easy. but the problems is that they are not a good connection. i would compare it to taking 2 wires, laying them against one another, and putting a rubber band around it to keep them together. not only are they exposed(not the end of the world, but not great), but they are connected with a super small surface area, and not pressed together all that tightly... they will eventually get a tiny amount of corrosion on there which will cause it to work sporadically or stop working completely.

the real big issue is that they can also destroy the wire they are connected to over time.. acessory doesnt work... no big deal... but with these the factory tail light might eventually stop working.

its not really an if, but a when.

they are the bain of used vehicle owners everywhere. because the people that use them are also the people that upon selling the machine, would just cut the wires off. or rip off the t connectors, leaving that open, corrosion susceptible factory wire.. then... without seeing the non-factory accessory...when their tail light stops working, the new owner is sitting there bashing their head against the wall trying to track down what the issue is.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
ohh... and i would highly recommend getting a cheap multimeter. then you can figure out this stuff real easily. 5 bucks at harbor freight, or 10 on a craftsman at sears.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I've had to re wire more than one truck that had a trailer plug added on with t taps. I know it's a vehicle and is subject to different conditions but still....you'd be amazed how far corrosion can run inside of the insulation, leaving the wire to look unharmed from the outside. They can also cause a wire to break.

But I am a bit paranoid, you may have a different experience.....

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts