Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 2015 Grizzly 700. Only 350 miles on it. I ride mostly in upper Wisconsin and mostly just slow crawls through the woods and mud. My main issue is that it this particular Grizzly dies when I go into water at any type of speed. It is strange as if I crawl in it will not die. Water usually up to floor boards and maybe a foot higher at times but nothing crazy. If I splash into water it will sputter and die. I wait for 30 seconds and it cranks up and sounds like normal.
I traded up to a 15 a few years ago from an 09 and never had issues with the 09 and I rode that one much harder.
I have read about steam being an issue. I am mechanical and twice a year strip the whole bike down to almost the frame, clean everything, new plug, fluids, clean connections, dielectric everything and I cannot get rid of the issue. I really don't want to snorkel it but if it is steam then I may be out of luck.

Any advice?
Thanks
Joe

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
@Tomjan85
It seems some Grizzly's are more prone to the steam/stall than others. My Kodi does steam out to just sputtering but doesn't stall. It doesn't happen often or with any consistency. Headlight deep doesn't bother it. Crashing into water is when it happens.
Are you running a stock air filter with the proper amount of oil?
On the pre 2016 the boot from the air box to the throttle body is a SOB to seal and keep connected. Maybe check it.
Part #6.
Another unproven thought is along with the steam if that air temp sensor is exposed to a temp drop it will cause the ICU to crank up the fuel mixture which may also contribute to the engine choking out.

PS...I'm in Birchwood WI

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a new stock air filter in last year. From memory it came pre oiled? Mice got into my air box so that was fun. I took the air box off and while it was off I adjusted the valves. I thought I got everything back together tight but I recall that boot being a pain. I can check it again.
I have had water up almost to the seat and no stalling. Really it is just crashing into water which leads me to think its steam. I had it running and sprayed water all around the underside back at the shop and it never shuddered. I was trying to spray the electrical connections that would be in contact with water to find the short, but didn't find anything.

I could just sell it and get a 2020 I guess, haha.

Reogem: We usually ride near Mellen WI. Have not ridden in your part of the state yet. Live in Madison where there are no trails other than the Cheese Trail which is a waste of time.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,841 Posts
I've had issues with my 14 Grizzly 700 stalling when I go crashing into water as well. I've since started crawling into the water and then give it much more throttle and get through. I am of the belief it is due to, most likely, steam. Maybe as reogem suggests, air temp sensor but whatever the case, seems to be fine so long as I don't go crashing into the water. Is it more prevalent in the 14/15 Grizzly? Hard to say but don't forget in 14 the compression increased and there was a new head. Additionally, I did a part comparison and the 14/15 have the exact same part numbers for the head, piston, rings, etc. as the 19+ Grizzly.

Reactions: DrMud and Vincent

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting about the compression and head. I wonder if the 19+'s have steam issues as well. So not much one can do about the steam issue without adding a snorkel?

·
Grizzled
3,841 Posts
Just a WAG on my part if the 14+ is more susceptible to steam problems because of the compression and head ...and that may not be it at all. I don't go through enough water to consider a snorkel but I'm also not a big fan of snorkels and would never even look at a used Grizzly that had, or had signs, of having snorkels.

The simple approach is ease into the water and then go. Much cheaper and less hassle than considering snorkels, at least for me.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Interesting about the compression and head. I wonder if the 19+'s have steam issues as well. So not much one can do about the steam issue without adding a snorkel?
I do alot of deep water crossing with my 2019 and up to now it has never had this issue nor as my old 2009. (pic of my 09)

Attachments

·
Grizzled
3,841 Posts
The 19+ also having a different air intake location and style. So maybe the 14/15 intake/head/compression is more susceptible? I don't really know, just guessing.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
When I was having steam trouble (I think it was water to steam, but not enough water to soak the area to prevent steam) the steam was collecting under the plastic cover, so by drilling the holes I changed the location of the air source with snorkels.
This can be done on the 700's by drilling holes in the top cover, just behind the handle bar mount. Your drilling holes or slotting a 20 dollar part, big deal.....

Also, I wouldn't hesitate to drill holes in the air box lid....big holes, to let in more air like what the E.H.S. mod does. I did this and do not have a pre-filter cover over the holes, and have never needed a covering.

Reactions: Tomjan85

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
I put a new stock air filter in last year. From memory it came pre oiled? Mice got into my air box so that was fun. I took the air box off and while it was off I adjusted the valves. I thought I got everything back together tight but I recall that boot being a pain. I can check it again.
I have had water up almost to the seat and no stalling. Really it is just crashing into water which leads me to think its steam. I had it running and sprayed water all around the underside back at the shop and it never shuddered. I was trying to spray the electrical connections that would be in contact with water to find the short, but didn't find anything.

I could just sell it and get a 2020 I guess, haha.

Reogem: We usually ride near Mellen WI. Have not ridden in your part of the state yet. Live in Madison where there are no trails other than the Cheese Trail which is a waste of time.
I had the most steam issues with the 660, My 13 700 steamed out nearly the same as my 19 700.
Haven't rode up by Mellen. Been thinking of trailer up there next year for a couple day ride.
We don't have the scenic rides as there are in Mellen area and north, but we have more "real" trails here.

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
We call this place the "car wash" this is when I get the most steam.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use to have a 2010 Big Bear 400 and a buddy of mine had an 02 Grizzly 660. We both had the issue of stalling in water. It ended up being our spark plug getting wet. I would pack marine grease around my boot and he ended up putting Red RTV Silicone around his.

Reactions: DrMud

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
I don’t ride my 15 in water but I have used the local creek as a car wash, no issues.

I would dialectic the spark plug, see what happens, report back.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DrMud: I have installed a new plug every 6 months and re-checked the torque every ride as well as packed with dielectric grease.

Reogem: That looks like fun. Truth be told I have never ridden the trail system in Mellen. We ride on local trails/private land. It is some sloppy stuff! Thats my old 660 barried in the mud.
We need to start trail riding as well so any suggestions where to stay and ride we would take!

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
Go through your snorkle, or intake air gasket, make sure nothing has come apart.

Edit: Ignore, wrong Machine

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had an issue on mine similar one time (13’ 700) and wound up finding one of my intake boots had a split that was almost impossible to find. Replaced that boot and resolved my similar problem. I would definitely double check all intake boots and clamps amigo maybe something simple. Just seems like steam if the bike starts right back up no problem after 30 seconds.

Try hitting the water hard in reverse see if it sputters then!! That’s my kinda troubleshooting 😈 just hold on tight! That would tell us if it’s the steam wouldn’t it?? Haha

Good luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Guys,
So update on the water issue. I haven't had much time to work on it until now, and it runs good other than the water issue. Sooo.
Today I let it get warm and soaked it with the hose while running. I tried to get water in a location by location route. I started by soaking the front diff and winch setup. I don't think the winch would make it short out anyways. It kept idling. Then spraying the lower front end. Kept idling. Then sprayed the exhaust/engine. After 30-45seconds of steam it shut off.

Started right back up. I took off the top plastics so the air intake didn't have any plastic around it to trap steam. Soaked the engine again and it shut off again. Not sure if that little amount of steam will make it kill? Took off the intake and the boot was tight and in place. Right now I am going to dielectric all connections and put everything back together. It just seems the slightest amount of steam will set this thing off. It always starts right back up but Im stumped on how to fix it - or at least make it not happen as much.

Any advice appreciated. Maybe steam in an electrical connection?
Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would snorkel the bike,, have another 700 I’m about to do the same thing with and having about the same issue,, it’s a 2014 Grizz 700 and if you hit the water or cause steam near the intake it will usually kill the bike, starts up and go again,, ease through the water does a lot better however I would just run some snorkels more for like “insurance” run them short and sporty looking. Just an idea,, hope you get it figured out thanks for the update.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought about it. Honestly I would if I were to keep a bike longer than 2-3 years. Not the best for resale value. I’ll most likely look for a used 2019 or 2020 next year as it’s about time to upgrade.
It just seems plain odd to me that a small amount of steam will kill it. But oh well maybe it’s just the way it is haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
Hey Guys,
So update on the water issue. I haven't had much time to work on it until now, and it runs good other than the water issue. Sooo.
Today I let it get warm and soaked it with the hose while running. I tried to get water in a location by location route. I started by soaking the front diff and winch setup. I don't think the winch would make it short out anyways. It kept idling. Then spraying the lower front end. Kept idling. Then sprayed the exhaust/engine. After 30-45seconds of steam it shut off.

Started right back up. I took off the top plastics so the air intake didn't have any plastic around it to trap steam. Soaked the engine again and it shut off again. Not sure if that little amount of steam will make it kill? Took off the intake and the boot was tight and in place. Right now I am going to dielectric all connections and put everything back together. It just seems the slightest amount of steam will set this thing off. It always starts right back up but Im stumped on how to fix it - or at least make it not happen as much.

Any advice appreciated. Maybe steam in an electrical connection?
Joe
Try spraying it with the air box cover off. Leave the filter on.
I suggest this to eliminate the steam is sucking into the air box via the snorkle. Checking for some external cause.

Is the intake boot tightly sealed in the bottom of the air box?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts