Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello all,
So another update. I found the glue on the intake boot to the air box was slightly pulling away. Not sure if that was the issue. I also cleaned and dielectric every connection I could find on the atv.
The next ride I didn't have any issues in the water. Not sure which fixed it but one of those seemed to do the trick. Being it is winter there was not as many puddles open but in the rivers it was fine.
I did not get around to spraying the atv while the air lid was off as Reogem Suggested as I was short of time putting it back together for the ride.
Thanks to all that helped along the way!
Joe

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,825 Posts
This is interesting and thank you for the update!

So when you say intake boot, you are referring to the air box to throttle body boot? I have inspected mine pretty thoroughly but never hurts to have another look. Assuming the air box required being removed for a thorough inspection and that is when you noticed the glue pulling away? That I have not done. Seems if steam got through that connection, fine dust could also? I know my 2014 Grizzly doesn't use any oil and 600 miles since the last oil change and the oil looks surprisingly clean. Not brand new clean but still pretty clean looking.

One thing I've never done is add dielectric grease to my electrical connections. I know that is a well known thing to address, but I've never done that. What you don't want is dielectric grease between two metal connectors that don't have a solid contact as dielectric grease can actually be an insulator. The grease is meant to keep moisture and dirt off of the metal contacts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I took the airbox off and made sure it was secure. It was the boot to the throttle body. The boot is glued into the airbox. I dout it was the issue and it is glued (RVT Sealant I think) on the inside and outside but I wasn't taking any chances. haha.

Redrocket: "What you don't want is dielectric grease between two metal connectors that don't have a solid contact as dielectric grease can actually be an insulator " Not sure what you mean? Can you elaborate? Most, if not all, of the connections I took apart had evidence of dielectric from the factory so I just made sure they were tight and added a little for good measure.

Joe

·
Grizzled
3,825 Posts
You don't want to over think this here as typically, dielectric grease gets pushed out of the way allowing the two metal connectors to make a solid contact. The grease is itself an insulator and doesn't conduct electricity, but again, don't over think this as it usually isn't an issue. The grease is meant to be more of a seal surrounding the electrical connectors which helps keep out moisture and dirt and lessening the contact connections from being fouled.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Congrats on the successful repair

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You don't want to over think this here as typically, dielectric grease gets pushed out of the way allowing the two metal connectors to make a solid contact. The grease is itself an insulator and doesn't conduct electricity, but again, don't over think this as it usually isn't an issue. The grease is meant to be more of a seal surrounding the electrical connectors which helps keep out moisture and dirt and lessening the contact connections from being fouled.
Oh. Gotcha! that makes sense. Scared me for a minute there, haha.

·
Grizzled
3,825 Posts
Yeah, sorry about that as it wasn't meant to come across as you had really done something wrong.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts