Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, new member here. I'm looking to purchase a Grizzly very soon. I'm really on the fence between saving a couple grand buying a 2015 model or buying the newly designed 2016. The dealers around here are trying to clear out their remaining new 2015s so they are typically priced $2000 lower than the 2016s. Help me decide if the new stuff like the extra power, DOHC, extra storage, extra headlight, 26" tires, etc is worth it over a 2015 model...really on the fence here and can't decide. Don't want to buy a 2015 and constantly wish I just spent the extra to get a 2016, but at the same time I'm not rich and saving $2000 would be nice IF I can be happy with the 2015. Thanks for any advice.

RACKMAN

·
Registered
419 Posts
Im cheap and would go for the 2k saving as the 2014 and 2015 are excellent machines..altho i have never driven the new 708 so cant say what the new power might feel like but if it was me i wouldnt care that it had an extra few Hp..

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
Welcome. There's several owners of both here that will be able to steer you in the right direction. If it were me, I'd probably go with the 15. The 16's run lean and from what I understand, they really need a fuel controller added to them. That's more $$ on top of the 16 price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For 2k i would take the 15.It turns sharper,carries more fuel,is 48lb lighter and has the same suspension travel as 16.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Welcome. There's several owners of both here that will be able to steer you in the right direction. If it were me, I'd probably go with the 15. The 16's run lean and from what I understand, they really need a fuel controller added to them. That's more $$ on top of the 16 price.

I'll put 15,000 miles on my 16 and I'll never need a fuel controller , why would you think I would need one ? Is my motor not going to last as long as my 12 did ?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I bought the 15 over the 16 for 3 reasons.

Better deal on the 15
Instead of a reg blue 16 I got a se tac black (my fav color)
I preferred the look of the 15 over 16

Also the 2014-15 have better suspension better fuel mileage and bigger tank then the previous years.They are wider then previous years and have a very cool stance once you put wheels and tires on.Saved 2300 in total but put that right back into the machine with the list of mods I have but the savings helped.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Welcome from Indiana, if you want to save 2k buy a 15 if not get a 16, won't need a fuel controller on a 16 and not that much difference in HP, the 15 is a fine machine, plus there are more mods available for the 15 right now because most manufacturers have not updated for the 16 yet.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The 15 & 16 run the same chassis for the most part. The only thing you really gain is the 708 over the 686, which to some is no real gain anyway. For the 2,000 you save, you can put that into tires, winch, led light bar, and storage- all of which would be an improvement over the 16, basically more storage, more tire, more light and a winch. And there is a lot of aftermarket support for the 15,although the 16 will catch up soon. When I faced the same decision I went 15.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
I'll put 15,000 miles on my 16 and I'll never need a fuel controller , why would you think I would need one ? Is my motor not going to last as long as my 12 did ?
I don't think I said you needed anything. I did convey that it's my understanding that the 16's run lean and benefit from a fuel controller. I got that information right here on GC. I don't have personal experience with the 16's. I was simply passing along what I have read to be the case with the 16's. If I were getting a 16, backfiring on a brand new machine would bother me and I would strongly consider the added expense of a controller.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Go ride both. i bought a 16, but have ridden a 15. not much of a difference. both are nice machines

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I don't think I said you needed anything. I did convey that it's my understanding that the 16's run lean and benefit from a fuel controller. I got that information right here on GC. I don't have personal experience with the 16's. I was simply passing along what I have read to be the case with the 16's. If I were getting a 16, backfiring on a brand new machine would bother me and I would strongly consider the added expense of a controller.
14&15 run lean as well. They might not run lean enough to hurt then in a short amount of time but it's far from optimal. $200 on a $8,000 + machine is worth it to get the most out of what you have.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can confirm, my 16 runs lean. Once I get down to Eric at EHS I'll have the fuel controller which should eliminate the lean/backfiring on deceleration issues.

But, for this thread, IMO I love the look of the 2016 and went with it over a 2015.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
14&15 run lean as well. They might not run lean enough to hurt then in a short amount of time but it's far from optimal. $200 on a $8,000 + machine is worth it to get the most out of what you have.
I wasn't aware it was an issue with the 14's and 15's as well. Good to know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was faced with the same dilemma last week. Was eyeing up a '15 camo and yes, it was about a $1500 price difference. But guess what...went to another dealer and got the 2016 in the color I wanted for only $700 more, plus they threw in a set of Heat Demon Dual's...so let's call it a $500 difference.

Proof that it pays to shop around. Yes I had to drive a little further but I'm totally happy and I'm confident I wont regret it.

For some, there's hesitation to buy a new model. I also bought the new F150 this year and have been VERY happy with it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

My 16 has never not once back fired , but my 2012 did it all the time I guess they all run lean .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the same dilemma with the 15 and 16. My 2012 700 has been great but want to upgrade to a newer bike. I just hate buying the first year model that might not have all the bugs worked out of it yet.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I have a 16 kodiack se and if there was a 15 grizzly for 2000 less I would have a 15 grizzly. I got 16 kodiack se for just about the same price ( there might have Been a difference of 100 or 200 dollars I don't remember)as the 15 grizzly se parked next to it so I had a harder decision to make If the difference was 2000 I would have got the 15 grizzly.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
The 2015's were scarce in my area with a savings of $500 at most over a 2016. I went with a 2016. For a $2000 actual difference, I would be all over the 2015.
I agree.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts