Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from Sportsman XP 1000 LE to grizzly, will not own sportsman for quite some time...quality or lack thereof is a joke.Looking for updates on these 2 models and their differences.

2013 camo, local, 80 hours, 800 miles, bone stock, great condition, few dealer fluid services. Asking 6k, need to get to 5k based on below.

2015 camo, 4 hours away (don't mind), 80 hours, 400 miles, bone stock, great condition, multiple fluid changes mainly oil. Asking 6800, agreed to 6k. Currently my choice.

What makes 2015 better? Differences? Looking for long term ride. Trail riding toy for 95% usage. 5% ride with kids around yard. Any issues by year I heard 14-15 was the best before the 708 deal. 26-27 HTR's or OG Big Horns, 1.5mm clutch shim and maybe pipe with programmer and lighting will be the most I really do.

Any input greatly appreciated. Just gave my son a Grizzly 125 Camo for his 6th birthday so excited to get back on the saddle with something more dependable. (40,000+ miles on my R1 with no issues before selling) Hoping for same success coming back to Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
15 are two inches wider be because of longer control arms, and have stronger version of the 686 engines but they run leaner.... Fuel programers fixes that. Personally depending on over all condition obviously, I would take a 15 over a 13

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds to me the 2015 is the better deal. 2 years newer and half the miles would be my choice. If you have seen both drove them and looked them over close it should be clear.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
The 15 all day every day. Issues off the top of my head-
-4WD button (easy fix)
-"Popping" in the front end when turning sharp (knuckles machined too deep for bearing). Yes, my 14 does it. No, I'm not that worried about it. I'll get new knuckles eventually.
-Popping from the exhaust on deceleration. Much of that can be corrected with a simple AIS block mod.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
15 over 13 IMO but can't go wrong with either

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up the 2015 yesterday. Absolutely perfect bone stock unit. Had it out today with family and then on a quicker pace solo trip. Very impressed with overall feel and quality. Coming from the xp 1000 I don't feel it's lacking much especially in the woods I ride.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Welcome and congrats on a great find!

·
Premium Member
9,236 Posts
Picked up the 2015 yesterday. Absolutely perfect bone stock unit. Had it out today with family and then on a quicker pace solo trip. Very impressed with overall feel and quality. Coming from the xp 1000 I don't feel it's lacking much especially in the woods I ride.
You made a good choice....now if you ride tough trails and it is bone stock I suggest a winch, the Big Horn O.G.'s in 26" or 27" as the 26"ers are actually 26.5" tall and the 27's are true to stated size. I run 9" up front and 12" on the back with the stock wheels.
The I would add a programmer with the stock exhaust to how you like that, and as I like a little more sound I would have a 2R tip.
I added a rear seat box for some storage and a guest when needed, and if you ride at night a 12" l.e.d. up front will work great.
Once you get these installed I suggest you set the front end toe to dead straight, not toed out from the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You made a good choice....now if you ride tough trails and it is bone stock I suggest a winch, the Big Horn O.G.'s in 26" or 27" as the 26"ers are actually 26.5" tall and the 27's are true to stated size. I run 9" up front and 12" on the back with the stock wheels.
The I would add a programmer with the stock exhaust to how you like that, and as I like a little more sound I would have a 2R tip.
I added a rear seat box for some storage and a guest when needed, and if you ride at night a 12" l.e.d. up front will work great.
Once you get these installed I suggest you set the front end toe to dead straight, not toed out from the factory.[/QUOTE]

Excellent feedback. I'm looking to adjust shocks and go through and lubricate everything. Full fluids this winter.

I am looking at winches now as well as tires bh og or bearclaw in 27s. Any programmer recommendations?

I had a gse pipe on the sportsman, it was obnoxious, basically a Harley screaming through woods. I like the stock pipe honestly, considering I do full pipes on everything but kind of over it if I can get the programmer to smooth out and boost power enough.

Will look at neutral toe and possibly 1" spacers all around if wheel bearings aren't affected. I'm just so happy it turns on, runs perfectly, and nothing beaks. Polaris is the biggest pos in quality I've ever seen. Will never buy again. I drank the koolaid and went with power. Sweet ride but so expensive and always breaking and having issues, wasn't really the stress reliever ride I needed from daily life. Back on a Yamaha and it feels great!

·
Premium Member
9,236 Posts
I have my shocked turned to stiff and run high air pressures in the O.G.'s, you will get your setting right after you upgrade the tires.
I don't use a programmer with a 660, but many here do run one with their injected bike and most use Eric at E.H. Racing.
And when you are doing the service, I suggest you check and set the valve lash.
I agree on the exhaust pipe thing, but used the 2" tip as it gave the 660 a faster response, not more power. If it was quieter that would be good, but its not that loud now and the noise is behind me.
as for spacers, I don't use then as around here we have 50" gates limiting trail access and spacers make the bike too wide. As for the bearings, others have reported the spacers out extra stress on them so let other report on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts