Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my alternative to Rox riser kit and why I did it. I have a 2016 this will work on 17 & 18 also if you want to keep your pod and light like stock! I could not stand trying to make a hard right hand turn and trying to work the throttle, it had me all cramped up. I did not like the feeling of my hands closer to my hips while standing in stead of more beneath my chest especially when climbing steep inclines, and i wanted to keep my pod and light together as stock. I cut my bars 3 1/2” up from the very bottom of bars, next i put a 3” piece of 11 / 16” steel round stock (slug stock) into each side of the bars. ( this lines up the bars and is for added strength at weld) I then gaped the bar cut apart 1/2” (no need for riser) with a 2” sweep/pullback and welded, grind down welds, paint, that’s it.That is 3 1/2 “ less sweep and widens them 2 1/2” (31 1/2”) than stock ( stock is 5 1/2” sweep and 29” wide)and this is the main key to this mod getting your hands more forward and wider for a more aggressive riding position . Rox bars are 31 1/2 wide and a 2.45” sweep. Rox claims you get 1/2” in height over stock bars. I played around with the height from stock to 1”, I found 1” puts to much strain for me on left side brake line, so I tried 1/2” and worked fine and put me right at Rox spec. for height. The only thing is you do not get the pivotal riser. I am 6’1” and I moved the bars forward just a little then stock,( you will have to notch headlight plastic just a little, no biggie. If you return your bars to stock setting no trimming needed. ( I will post pictures at end) my son is 5’8” and at stock settings he said they felt fine to him, no need for pivoting riser. I am not taking any thing away from Rox, they make a fine product, but if you want to keep your pod and light as stock try this. The picture of the two bars together are stock bars at top and the stock modified at bottom. It was brought to my attention that this mod was a little to involved for some, if that is the case and you would like this done, just take the dimensions and your bars to your local welder and they will hook you up for around a third of the coast of Rox. (Click on the thumbnails and they will appear right)

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a comparison picture of Rox & modified stock bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
100% Awesome!
I love this idea. No hacked up pod and achieved the same result as the other kits.
I want a set of these bars.
Sure wish they were available for sale.
Local welders around this area would charge $100 or more for a bit of welding. Everyone with a trade feels they’re worth $100 per hour here in Nova Scotia, but they also feel the $22/hr a government employee makes is too much... double standards p’ss me off. (Sorry rant over).
Back to the bars...
Love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: RDC

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sooo... Do you have any of those wonderful bars for sale yet? We're all waiting for a retail version.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sooo... Do you have any of those wonderful bars for sale yet? We're all waiting for a retail version.
No sorry, not in the manufacturing business. I sure didn’t think anyone was that interested in doing this mod from no more feedback this post received. I sure like mine though!

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
167 Posts
Awesome right up. I was thinking of doing something with my bars. The ROX kit wont allow me to mount my windshield but this will work for sure. This will be my next mod. I would rather build or mod stuff myself instead of just buy it. The only problem with this mod is I didn't think of it myself. Great work.

Reactions: Madkawi750 and RDC

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
No sorry, not in the manufacturing business. I sure didn’t think anyone was that interested in doing this mod from no more feedback this post received. I sure like mine though!

I assumed from your user name “RDC” that you were Rubber Down Customs. The place that makes lift kits and rad kits etc.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assumed from your user name “RDC” that you were Rubber Down Customs. The place that makes lift kits and rad kits etc.

I wish, RDC is just the initials in my name.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@crazy, good luck with the bar mod, glad you like it, hope it works out for you, please post your results and some pics.

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Modding the stock bars never even dawned on me..... wish i seen this before installing my ROX kit.
I am happy with my ROX kit too......but.....:wink2:

Good job dude !

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well took the bars off today and ready to cut them up. I can't wait to see what it's like. I will try and post some pics. Thanks again for the great idea. Last fall I did a custom rad relocate that is hinged at the front to allow me to access the battery and fuse etc. I call it the JBR rad relocate as is my front bumper. Now i will have the RDC handlebar mod. I like to build all my stuff that I can it's not about being cheap it's about pride.

Reactions: RDC and Madkawi750

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well took the bars off today and ready to cut them up. I can't wait to see what it's like. I will try and post some pics. Thanks again for the great idea. Last fall I did a custom rad relocate that is hinged at the front to allow me to access the battery and fuse etc. I call it the JBR rad relocate as is my front bumper. Now i will have the RDC handlebar mod. I like to build all my stuff that I can it's not about being cheap it's about pride.

Can’t wait to see it.
I’m not quite brave enough yet.. soon, soon. Hopefully soon.
Ha.. keep telling myself that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well I did some measuring cutting grinding buffing and more measuring. Now welding grinding and buffing then paint and assemble. Will post more pics latter. It’s sure nice having my own shop.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I did some measuring cutting grinding buffing and more measuring. Now welding grinding and buffing then paint and assemble. Will post more pics latter. It’s sure nice having my own shop.
Looking good crazy! Nice job!!! Thanks for trusting in this mod, I am sure you will love it. Can’t wait to hear back from you after your all done.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well went out to the shop to weld the bars and guess what no gas left oh well tomorrow is another day

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well final got around to it. The guy at the welding shop gave us an empty tank so had to wait till Monday. Welded her up some grinding and paint and this is the results. Notice my welders safety boots. Haha

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well I got the bars on with levers and controls. I hoped on the bike right away and love it so does my son. Take a look. I put a stick across the bars so you can see how they sit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I thank you RDC nice work on fabing up the bars and great right you included all the right details. Thanks again I’m sure lots more grizzly owners will be doing the same. Awesome mod and it’s basically free. That’s the kind I like and I’ll bet lots of others as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts