Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New member here looking into getting a quad for the main purpose of plowing snow. I also plan on recreational riding from time to time. I am leaning toward the 2016 Kodiak SE EPS at this point. Reading about the differences between the grizzly and the kodiak it looks like the griz will be more aggressive and peppy compared to the Kodiak, but the kodiak is made more for a workhorse(plowing). Will I wish I had a grizzly if I get out on the trail? Or will the Kodiak have enough pep to have some fun when I want to? Then on to the Honda( I know I will get biased opinions on a Yamaha forum). I have been around hondas the most when it comes to ATV's. My dad has had two Ranchers which have been reliable and got the job done for his plowing needs. One thing I can't stand is how reverse works on hondas. The honda option I am looking at would be a 2016 foreman rubicon eps or higher(I like the aluminum wheels on the fancier versions like the kodiak SE). Comparing specs it seems either Yamaha blows away the honda in pretty much everything(especially CC's). So I am looking for opinions on what Yamaha to go with(probably a more basic grizzly compared to the top end kodiak for price reasons).
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Honda makes a great reliable bike, biggest turn off for me would be. The lack
Of diff lock on the Honda and the kodiak, top speed is a fair bit slower on the Honda aswell, however that might not be a issiue
My .02

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of diff lock on the Honda and the kodiak, top speed is a fair bit slower on the Honda aswell, however that might not be a issiue
My .02
I think the Kodiak SE has the Diff Lock. Correct me if I am wrong though..

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
My .02
The new Honda Rubicon has Diff Lock. The first Honda ATV with it. I love this new Rubicon and think it's the first significant Honda ATV in a long time.
BUT.....I would still choose either Yamaha over it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The new Honda Rubicon now has diff lock, so that wouldn't be an issue.

I've never used an atv to plow snow, but if thats your main purpose I would buy the machine that is easiest to go from forward to reverse. Plus, I'd look at the available plows for each and try to compare which plow set up would work better for you. This is a Grizzly site so obviously people are going to steer you to yamaha. For the cost if your leaning to the Kodiak I'd look at the se that has difflock and eps. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the Kodiak SE has the Diff Lock. Correct me if I am wrong though..

Thanks for your thoughts!
Kodiak SE has diff lock.

I looked at the Hondas - was not impressed. They seem out of date and pricey for what you get and don't get.

Based on the reviews I've read, the Kodiak is a decent trail-riding ATV. Is the Grizzly better? The reviews say it is (different clutch weights, bigger tires, etc.).

Based on my research, it seems like the Kodiak is more for the person who spends less time on the trails and the Grizzly is for the person who spends more time on the trails.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't the rubicon only a 500cc?
Might be a slug for pushing snow? Thoughts?
That is one of the main reasons it is on the low end of my list but then again I have pushed snow with my dads 420cc rancher with no problems. I also have a friend who sells both honda and yamaha and he is pushing the honda and says it will be a better atv.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes the Kodiak SE has diff-lock.

I don't have a plow (but am thinking about one). The Kodiak does fine for my limited trail riding. I've got 200 miles now, 4 trail rides of 25-45 miles and the rest around my 2 acres doing chores. I think it was a good choice for me. A little narrower than the Griz and better turning radius for tight areas. Same weight ratings for the racks and same tow ratings. I find the headlight on the handle bars is not very useful because if you have anything on the front rack, you get a lot of light back in your face and not much out front of the machine. I have some LED lighting to put on the front one of these days. I will pull the bulb from the handle bar light (which operates on the high beam mode) and use the high beam circuit to power the front LEDs.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
In your shoes I would buy the grizz with no consideration for the other two.
We know the grizzly system but there is no worth while info. for the other two, yet.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I wouldn't worry about power out with the honda. Their gear drive tranny has a very low first gear, you'll lose traction before it powers out. but if i remember right their atvs are a pain to put into reverse as when compared to the grizzly or kodiak

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Not much to contribute just wanted to say I enjoy my kodiack se very much. I have close to 500 miles on it mostly trail riding. I am sure I would like the grizzly just as much but I do not regrett my decision one bit either bike will serve you well and you can modify to bemore towards your likes and riding style Good luck you won't loose either way. I feel the differences are minimal especially if comparing the grizzly to special edition kodiack. The grizzly has a little extra storage more agressiving clutching and a wider stance that's pretty much it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Hello,
New member here looking into getting a quad for the main purpose of plowing snow. I also plan on recreational riding from time to time. I am leaning toward the 2016 Kodiak SE EPS at this point. Reading about the differences between the grizzly and the kodiak it looks like the griz will be more aggressive and peppy compared to the Kodiak, but the kodiak is made more for a workhorse(plowing). Will I wish I had a grizzly if I get out on the trail? Or will the Kodiak have enough pep to have some fun when I want to? Then on to the Honda( I know I will get biased opinions on a Yamaha forum). I have been around hondas the most when it comes to ATV's. My dad has had two Ranchers which have been reliable and got the job done for his plowing needs. One thing I can't stand is how reverse works on hondas. The honda option I am looking at would be a 2016 foreman rubicon eps or higher(I like the aluminum wheels on the fancier versions like the kodiak SE). Comparing specs it seems either Yamaha blows away the honda in pretty much everything(especially CC's). So I am looking for opinions on what Yamaha to go with(probably a more basic grizzly compared to the top end kodiak for price reasons).
Thanks for your input.
You will LOVE a kodiak 700 SE ,, Awsome quad ,,buy it !

·
Registered
566 Posts
From what I've read, the difference between the two is in the clutching. So if you have a Kodiak, you can change the weights or whatever is different to that of a grizz. I think lol. But for the price of the Kodiak, it's hard to pass up!!! But i'd think either machine will suit you fine....

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Hey..Jdsmitty10..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin..

The Grizz has bigger tires, wider stance, is heavier, has more gadgets and costs a little more.
The kodiak is lighter and narrower with less fluff. If you become a serious trail rider. You may need to use low more often if you don't do some minor CVT modifications.
compare Grizzly-EPS-vs-2016-Yamaha-Kodiak-700-EPS-SE

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the kodiak and wish I got the grizz. Thought Id only be using it for work, but Ive gone trail riding a ton more with it. No diff lock, soft bottom end and the worst it being narrow. Dont get me wrong I love this thing, but Ill be giving it to the wife and Im getting a grizzly asap. I think a grizzly was about 1500 more than my eps kodiak. Id say its worth it for what you get.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Hey..jms158bmx..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.
Other than the diff lock and the clutch the 2016 is very similar to my 2013.
You should start a new thread asking how to turn the tractor into a trail machine. Easy and not much $$

·
Registered
856 Posts
It was my understanding that the pricing of the Kodiak SE is very close to that of the Grizz. If that's truly the case, I'd opt for the Grizz. Either one will push snow without a problem but the Grizz would be more fun to trail ride.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have a Grizzly 550. My Father has a new Foreman 500. I've ridden both. The only place the Foreman beats my Grizzly is fuel economy. I've plowed snow with both of them. My 550 can push way more snow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was my understanding that the pricing of the Kodiak SE is very close to that of the Grizz. If that's truly the case, I'd opt for the Grizz. Either one will push snow without a problem but the Grizz would be more fun to trail ride.
Price is the same for base grizzly and loaded kodiak SE. I definately want power steering so a Power steering model grizzly is $800 more than the SE kodiak. I THINK, but am not sure the kodiak SE comes standard with the 2 inch reciever hitch but the grizzly would need to be added. Plus the SE has the painted plastic(take it or leave it, probably will scratch up) and the aluminum wheels too. So I am looking at the kodiak for best bang for the buck and nice looks too I guess... I am probably looking at more pep than the honda in the kodiak even know its a tuned down "work quad". I guess the only way to know for sure is to test ride them. So basically for $800 more I can get a more basic looking grizzly or save the $800 and get a fancier kodiak. decisions decisions...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts