Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new battery in 2016 Grizz 700 the machine will run all day but drains over night. All accessories are disconnected. Will jump with a boost or charger. Changed new batter and the same thing happens. pulled fuses and relays, did a load test on each battery. checked battery connections. Stator seems fine, battery charges while running.
Any help is appreciated, Dealer is backed up 6 weeks for service.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I would charge the battery and start the machine to let run and re-check the charging system voltage, then unhook the battery over night to learn if its starts the next morning. This can determine if there is a problem with the machine like a rubbed wire causing a voltage drain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the late reply, I was working and no time to play.
I have two new batteries, I can start the grizzly and leave connected over night and the battery has no juice to start. If I have a charged battery and run the unit, disconnect the battery over night the unit will start the next morning.
I have a good voltage after charge 13.6 volts, with the unit connected and meter (reading battery voltage) and turn the key on and try to start the battery it drops to 10.5 volts while turning over then up to 14.5 volts while running.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Your bike has developed a parasitic drain on the electrical system.
I would disconnect the ground at the battery then hook up a volt meter between those two connection points and with the key off take a reading before pulling one fuse at a time to find the faulty system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How to tell if the starter relay is draining the battery? I connected the meter as you mentioned and started pulling fuses. I found one of the 15 amp fuses on the starter relay (closest to the from of the machine) seems to identify an issue. I pulled the 4 pin connector off the top of the relay and checked the 4 pins (relay side) and 2 pins show .2 ohms and the other two show 4.5 ohms which i think is correct for both sides of the coil. Then I checked continuity from the positive side of the battery (connected) to the two pins in the relay that showed the .2 ohms and it shows continuity, then check from neg side of the batter and it is open. Then i reinstalled the 15 amp fuse and i see 123 ohms from the neg side of the battery and the 2 pins showing the .2 ohms (short side of the coil) and I get 123 ohms not an open circuit.
I hope this makes sense. Is the start relay draining my battery? I pulled the 15 amp fuse and will let the machine sit over night to see if it drains.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Make sure to switch/plug in the leads at your meter to measure amps instead of the volts/ohms configuration, other wise at a minimum you will blow a fuse in your voltmeter. Some of the better brand meters like Fluke will give an audible alarm along with the display showing "LEADS" when you switch to amps on the dial with out switching/plugging in the leads for amps measurement.
If you don't reconfigure your leads for amps measurement it's essentially a dead short and could damage your meter.

·
Registered
337 Posts
After configuring your meters leads to measure current "dc amps" you need to hook one lead to your battery terminal and the other lead to the disconnected battery cable. You are putting the meter inline to measure current draw. You should then see any parasitic current draw. Then start pulling fuses until the draw disappears, just like Ridgway said. You are not trying to measure ohms.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
Please list any electrical accessories you may have, like a winch, heated grips, light bar anything install aftermarket.
There will always be some current drain to the pod. This needed to keep the clock up to date.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts