Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been awhile since i have on here. Bought the Grizzly 700 brand new in 2016 . Was a happy camper added a winch , big LED up front heated grips windshield the list goes on and on . This past winter i noticed it was puffing white on start up and thought it was condensation burning off from a cold exhaust . So i go to change the oil this spring and it 5 ounces low ? I called the dealer and told him he asked what oil i was running and told him Rotella T6 . He snapped back and said what you doing that for , its got moly in it ! The first 3 oil changes were Yamalube conventional then one fill of T6. Then he said well they do use oil !? Then added ,could be the rings . I told him i came on here and guys had problems with the 2016 and valve guides . He says never heard of it . I said it was well documented ,there were issue,s from guys on this site . He quickly answered i don,t believe anything on those sites ! The machine has 691 miles i use it for riding around on my 40 and some light now plowing . I'm getting a bad feeling about this situation i'm in . Not sure what to do next , but really disheartening that its is burning oil with these low miles . Open to suggestions . Thanks Don

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
He said I don't believe anything on those sites..lol because we all post things we've been through to make fake news! You need to find a new dealer that will try to help you instead of sticking their head in the the mud about an obvious problem.

Reactions: 85Aluma

·
Registered
918 Posts
Find a dealer that will perform the Yamaha service bulletin work for you. It took me three tries before I found one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same bike, use it on my 30 ac. and have the same problem, noticed it at about 700 miles as well. On occasion, from a cold start, it will smoke like a mosquito fogger until it warm (several minutes). It uses oil as well of course (Yamalube is the only flavor its had). On occasion it will smoke for 5 minutes or more, even if its already warm. Sometimes it hardly smokes at all on a cold start.

I've heard about the mysterious service bulletin to fix this issue four to so times on GC, but thus far, no one that I've seen has posted the name, number, link or pdf of this bulletin on GC. If anyone knows of this rare document specific to the 708 cc engine and would care to share it, it would be most appreciated. I've read that the issue is thought to be a casting defect in the Subaru jug. I do know one needs to know more about the service bulletin than the dealer, or you'll only get the bull portion of it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's the cylinder and rings.mine did the same thing at 400 miles.mine was a year out of warranty and Yamaha took care of it but I don't think it was ever right after that so I traded it.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Its been awhile since i have on here. Bought the Grizzly 700 brand new in 2016 . Was a happy camper added a winch , big LED up front heated grips windshield the list goes on and on . This past winter i noticed it was puffing white on start up and thought it was condensation burning off from a cold exhaust . So i go to change the oil this spring and it 5 ounces low ? I called the dealer and told him he asked what oil i was running and told him Rotella T6 . He snapped back and said what you doing that for , its got moly in it ! The first 3 oil changes were Yamalube conventional then one fill of T6. Then he said well they do use oil !? Then added ,could be the rings . I told him i came on here and guys had problems with the 2016 and valve guides . He says never heard of it . I said it was well documented ,there were issue,s from guys on this site . He quickly answered i don,t believe anything on those sites ! The machine has 691 miles i use it for riding around on my 40 and some light now plowing . I'm getting a bad feeling about this situation i'm in . Not sure what to do next , but really disheartening that its is burning oil with these low miles . Open to suggestions . Thanks Don
I have the 16 as well and have no smoking problems 6300kms on her now, there is a service bulletin for certain models that fall under a serial # list that would be covered for a extra few years, i'm sure the bulletin was posted on this site, there was also a member Madkawi750 that had a similar problem like yours on his 16 griz, his rings where gummed up and sticking causing what you are experiencing with your griz, he used a combustion cleaner that he poured down into the cylinder via the plug hole and let sit for 24 hours which fixed his smoking problem, he posted about it on this site, was a easy fix, the Yamaha dealer your dealing with must be living under a rock if he did not hear about some of smoking problems with the 16 through18 708's in the Grizzlies, I wouldn't let him touch my wheel barrel let alone a Grizzly.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I have the same bike, use it on my 30 ac. and have the same problem, noticed it at about 700 miles as well. On occasion, from a cold start, it will smoke like a mosquito fogger until it warm (several minutes). It uses oil as well of course (Yamalube is the only flavor its had). On occasion it will smoke for 5 minutes or more, even if its already warm. Sometimes it hardly smokes at all on a cold start.

I've heard about the mysterious service bulletin to fix this issue four to so times on GC, but thus far, no one that I've seen has posted the name, number, link or pdf of this bulletin on GC. If anyone knows of this rare document specific to the 708 cc engine and would care to share it, it would be most appreciated. I've read that the issue is thought to be a casting defect in the Subaru jug. I do know one needs to know more about the service bulletin than the dealer, or you'll only get the bull portion of it.
It was posted by Zrt1200...ITS's OFFICAL 2016-2018 YAMAHA SERVICE BULLETIN.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have the 16 as well and have no smoking problems 6300kms on her now, there is a service bulletin for certain models that fall under a serial # list that would be covered for a extra few years, i'm sure the bulletin was posted on this site, there was also a member Madkawi750 that had a similar problem like yours on his 16 griz, his rings where gummed up and sticking causing what you are experiencing with your griz, he used a combustion cleaner that he poured down into the cylinder via the plug hole and let sit for 24 hours which fixed his smoking problem, he posted about it on this site, was a easy fix, the Yamaha dealer your dealing with must be living under a rock if he did not hear about some of smoking problems with the 16 through18 708's in the Grizzlies, I wouldn't let him touch my wheel barrel let alone a Grizzly.
Madkawi750 oil burning problem started after he mixed Can Am oil in with his regularly used oil.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Yes.. that's right, is T6 synthetic? he is on his fourth oil change on 691 miles, I was just thinking his rings maybe gummed up and try some combustion cleaner first before digging deeper.

Reactions: 85Aluma and reogem

·
Grizzled
3,571 Posts
Reactions: 85Aluma and Vincent

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If you were burning your oil it would be blue smoke not white....

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
I always like to get more info on issues the folks have.

Why 4 oil changes in 700 miles.
How many hours?
How many hours from last oil check/change until the 5oz lose?

As with any new product there will be bugs.
There is an exhaust valve issue with some 16's
There is a ring issue with other 16's
My 16 used 3-4 oz per 1000 miles of riding. Dealer replaced the exhaust valves, guides and seals @10000 miles.
My Queens 2016 was using a 1-2 oz per 1000 miles. It qualified for the ring and cylinder replacement. @RedRocket post the S.B. above. You need a smart dealership on your side. There is a strict criteria to qualify for this SB.
Neither machine smoked and no one could smell oil burning riding behind us.

BTW: Never talk to a dealer (they are salemen) or a "technician"(I don't know WTH these guys really are)..talk to the service manager or the head "mechanic".

Reactions: dezz and 85Aluma

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I changed it after 100 miles call me anal . Then changed in 2017 ,2018 , 2019 and now with full Yamaha Synthetic . It will smoke after a minute of start up and quit smoking after another minute or so of running . I can definitely smell oil and see the haze . The thing is after it warmed up let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes i don,t see it or smell it . It seems now more noticable after i switched to the Yamalube full Sythentic .

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
That is how most of the exhaust valves defects act.
Syn oil is much thinner when cold so it is possible a larger amount of oil is leaking past the guides and seals.

Where are you located? Maybe a member near you knows a good dealer. Do have an extended warranty?

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
A warranty repair pays the dealer less $$$ than customer pay jobs, so dealers try to resist warranty work if possible. I know the guys doing the work don't like jobs paying less too.
Maybe it also has something to do with not having good (trained) people working in the shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Syn oil is much thinner when cold so it is possible a larger amount of oil is leaking past the guides and seals.

Where are you located? Maybe a member near you knows a good dealer. Do have an extended warranty?
Im in Northern Wisconsin am willing to travel if i have to . No extended warranty my dealer did not offer it got an extra year by not taking the winch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Also after running for say 5 min and it warmed up i will shut it down and restart say 15 min later and sometimes no haze or smell ? If it was rings would it not be doing it all the time ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
85 alums I'm telling you it's the cylinder that's the problem. First thing they did to mine was valve seals and I paid the labor. The very next day same thing. Yours is acting identical to mine. I'm a 33 year ase master technician. The problem with the 16-18 grizzlies was the cylinders are not true and my first set of rings fell thru the cylinder. This is what your problem is.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
This is a well known and well documented issue. Yamaha even knows about. There is an issue with the cylinder and piston that caused oil burning.
Yamaha has released a service bulletin to replace the cylinder and piston FREE OF CHARGE. Do a Google search or simply click on the link posted RedRider above in this very thread.

Now there is still stipulations. The dealer is to first inspect the parts. If the engine shows signs of abuse such as being swamped, the service bulletin will be denied. I think this is very fair.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I always like to get more info on issues the folks have.

Why 4 oil changes in 700 miles.
How many hours?
How many hours from last oil check/change until the 5oz lose?

As with any new product there will be bugs.
There is an exhaust valve issue with some 16's
There is a ring issue with other 16's
My 16 used 3-4 oz per 1000 miles of riding. Dealer replaced the exhaust valves, guides and seals @10000 miles.
My Queens 2016 was using a 1-2 oz per 1000 miles. It qualified for the ring and cylinder replacement. @RedRocket post the S.B. above. You need a smart dealership on your side. There is a strict criteria to qualify for this SB.
Neither machine smoked and no one could smell oil burning riding behind us.

BTW: Never talk to a dealer (they are salemen) or a "technician"(I don't know WTH these guys really are)..talk to the service manager or the head "mechanic".
x2. This and this again.(y)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts