Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Im in Northern Wisconsin am willing to travel if i have to . No extended warranty my dealer did not offer it got an extra year by not taking the winch.
@RedRocket posted the service bulletin above.

I live in Birchwood WI

Check with Rusty or Matt at Haucks Power sport in Rice Lake WI

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks to @RedRocket Andy @griz7.

Seems that folks in the US are stating there is a similar bulletin (the one at the link posted is Canadian). My googlefu must not be good enough to find the US version. I’m pretty limited on dealer choices and it’s a 200 mile round trip to the nearest one. I already know I need the bulletin in my hand to have it acknowledging (that’s how I got the last two taken care of). Poor service, you bet, but I’m not interested in a more than 300 mile round trip to the next dealer. If anyone knows of a link to the US bulletin, that would be great if you wanted to share it.

Thanks

·
Grizzled
3,516 Posts
Damn man, certainly a difficult decision to make on your part. Anyway you could print out the SB and avoid CA vs US part of it and count on them not noticing? What you need is the Service Mgr pulling for you because of the f’up by Yamaha. They owe you the repair! Stick to your guns and prove it to them you are a valued customer who should have their Yamaha f’up honored.

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
Years ago contact info was easier to find/use, think about using the emissions contact button first for faster reply.
Burning oil is an emissions problem.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
It doe not matter where or how you found out about the bulletin...If you find you Model # on this list you will qualify to be looked at. The dealer will need to video the machine running then tear down the engine take pictures of the piston, ring, cylinder. Dealer then sends all of the info to Yamaha. If it qualifies Yamaha sends the complete rebuild package to the dealer.
I found my Queens 2016 Kodi under 2017
I copied the list from Zrt1200 post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It doe not matter where or how you found out about the bulletin...If you find you Model # on this list you will qualify to be looked at. The dealer will need to video the machine running then tear down the engine take pictures of the piston, ring, cylinder. Dealer then sends all of the info to Yamaha. If it qualifies Yamaha sends the complete rebuild package to the dealer.
View attachment 97536

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I called Haucks and talked to Mark and he explained some of the procedure ,i'm going to be trailering it to them soon .

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Years ago contact info was easier to find/use, think about using the emissions contact button first for faster reply.
Burning oil is an emissions problem.
The emissions contact is limited to the MZ series engines. Used in lawnmower and tractors with around 8hp.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
404 Posts
View attachment 97536
Thanks, good information, not very clear though & hard to read.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have a good memory but it is short . It was three oil changes according to my service record . First was at 16.4 hours ,45.8 hours and then 170 hours So there is 170 hours on it right now . and 691 miles since Oct of 2016.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its been awhile since i have on here. Bought the Grizzly 700 brand new in 2016 . Was a happy camper added a winch , big LED up front heated grips windshield the list goes on and on . This past winter i noticed it was puffing white on start up and thought it was condensation burning off from a cold exhaust . So i go to change the oil this spring and it 5 ounces low ? I called the dealer and told him he asked what oil i was running and told him Rotella T6 . He snapped back and said what you doing that for , its got moly in it ! The first 3 oil changes were Yamalube conventional then one fill of T6. Then he said well they do use oil !? Then added ,could be the rings . I told him i came on here and guys had problems with the 2016 and valve guides . He says never heard of it . I said it was well documented ,there were issue,s from guys on this site . He quickly answered i don,t believe anything on those sites ! The machine has 691 miles i use it for riding around on my 40 and some light now plowing . I'm getting a bad feeling about this situation i'm in . Not sure what to do next , but really disheartening that its is burning oil with these low miles . Open to suggestions . Thanks Don
There's a servicebulletin on 2016-2018 being the rings were to small. Mine has just been repaired by Yamaha dealer. And I bought it used from another person. Every 700 engine between those years. To small of ring. They smoke until the ring swells when warm. They also burn oil. I'd have to add just a little on a 80 mile trip. Wasn't at the add mark, but I am always checking my oil. Find the service bulletin. If the machine is one there's a very small process to get the whole valve replaced on them. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
There's a servicebulletin on 2016-2018 being the rings were to small. Mine has just been repaired by Yamaha dealer. And I bought it used from another person. Every 700 engine between those years. To small of ring. They smoke until the ring swells when warm. They also burn oil. I'd have to add just a little on a 80 mile trip. Wasn't at the add mark, but I am always checking my oil. Find the service bulletin. If the machine is one there's a very small process to get the whole valve replaced on them. Good luck.
Had any miles on it since fixed ?

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Yamaha explains the the ring/s were/are to soft. See the bulletin.
708 Service Bulletin

@85Aluma...Not sure of the exact miles on my Queens 708 rebuild guessing it's between 1500-1800 miles.
Runs great and uses no oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2018 grizz started smoking like a chimney the other day by your chart it looks like a qualify for a new top end with only 900 km on it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts