Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched a fair bit and not seen what I am looking for in previous threads in regards to model years '16+

The stock tires are OK for basic trail use but let me down in bad conditions like wet snow/muddy trails/ruts. Friend is running 27" Zillas and he walked all over me in same conditions.

We ride in SW Idaho where its usually dry and rocky but occasionally with snow and some muddy trails with deep ruts. I ride alone quite often and would rather have a tire that can get me out when conditions are crap than having a tire for the lower 80% of the riding I do, On a few occasions we may goof off in some deeper mud but its certainly not extreme mud.

I am close to purchasing the Pitbull growler BG2.5 with STI HD bead locks and not sure If I will stick with 26" or go to 27" Yes the stock run very small and the BG2.5 are true to size. The extra height would be nice for ground clearance as I do have to crawl over downed trees and encounter lots of bigger rocks. The review by discount tire direct almost has me sold on them. Yes the Zillas do good for my friend and seem to ride OK on hard pack trails but seem more mud centered than the BG 2.5 that may favor what I ride most often. Downside of the BG2.5 is the weight.

Im not totally opposed to doing a shim/spring mod but dont want to blow my factory extended warranty. Suppose I could always undo it if needed? I dont think I would suffer to badly with the 26" but not sure how low on power it would feel with the 27" Im dont care how fast I run just want to have enough power to get through shitty conditions and crawl over any obstacles with out too much issue.

Saw one member here (dag1401) is running the 27" on a '12 but with some engine mods so not sure how that relates to a stock '16 on power.

Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I would purchase the 27's. You have more than enough power to turn them. You will find a little loss of snap in high range, but the extra ground clearance is worth it IMO.....and clutch mods are cheap and easy if you feel the need after.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
About anything is an improvement over stock. There's lots of different tire opinions here. Bighorns probably rule the roost here, but there lots of other great tires. Buy for what you ride most. Trail tires won't shine in the mud but will get you through most trail mud. Your winch will take up the slack when the tires wont get you through. As you mentioned, don't just look at the size on the sidewalk. See how tall they truly stand. Some will run tall. Many will run short. Fractions on an inch matter on ride height with a quad. You'll notice an inch of extra clearance on a quad waaaay more than you would on a larger vehicle. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
I just put Pit Bull Growler Uber XOR 26.5" on both Kodiaks. With about 400 miles on them so far I have to say these are amazing tires. They track perfectly. Climb tree roots, logs, and rocks with easy. Ran a 1/2 mile mud slew yesterday no winching, no problem. Real deep mud haven't tried yet. Don't normally run the deep mud. It does takes a little extra gas to make them drift when cornering.
The Kodi's have no problem pulling them.

With the shocks full up on my rig they do scrub the foot wells on the hard whoops.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I also run Pit Bull Growler Uber XOR 26.5" (they actually measure 27.5') on my Grizzly 700. I think they're the best ATV tire on the market!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also run Pit Bull Growler Uber XOR 26.5" (they actually measure 27.5') on my Grizzly 700. I think they're the best ATV tire on the market!
Looks like the BG 2.5 according to their website are a bit taller @27.5" where as the Uber 26.5 are supposed to be 26.8" in 12" rim size.
The BG 2.5 27" are supposed to be 1# more than the 26.5 Ubers.

We shall see how they measure out once installed with weight on them. The 1# difference should matter little I would think. I ordered some STI HD Beadlocks for them as well. Not sure how they compare in weight to the stock steel rims.

I know yours are 8 ply and the BG 2.5 are 6 ply but what pressures do you run them at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put Pit Bull Growler Uber XOR 26.5" on both Kodiaks. With about 400 miles on them so far I have to say these are amazing tires. They track perfectly. Climb tree roots, logs, and rocks with easy. Ran a 1/2 mile mud slew yesterday no winching, no problem. Real deep mud haven't tried yet. Don't normally run the deep mud. It does takes a little extra gas to make them drift when cornering.
The Kodi's have no problem pulling them.

With the shocks full up on my rig they do scrub the foot wells on the hard whoops.
You are in N. Wi. How do they do in snow? We dont get much in SW Idaho usually, last year was an exception. But would be greta if they were very good in snow.

I hope I dont need to screw the pre-load way up. Im pretty light and would hate to harshen the ride up. From factory they are on the second level. I would probably be OK going up one more level, especially in the front, to reduce some body roll in faster corners. I would think the tires will most likely ride a bit stiffer than the stockers being 6 ply vs 4 ply(?)

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Looks like the BG 2.5 according to their website are a bit taller @27.5" where as the Uber 26.5 are supposed to be 26.8" in 12" rim size.
The BG 2.5 27" are supposed to be 1# more than the 26.5 Ubers.

We shall see how they measure out once installed with weight on them. The 1# difference should matter little I would think. I ordered some STI HD Beadlocks for them as well. Not sure how they compare in weight to the stock steel rims.

I know yours are 8 ply and the BG 2.5 are 6 ply but what pressures do you run them at?

Thanks.
I run them at 5psi all around. The 2.5's didn't exist yet when I got my UBERS... I might have considered them but in the end, I wouldn't trade now.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ DTD

Your review was more than enough help. Looks like some of the terrain you ride on is a bit similar being dry and rocky with some trail mud. Mud here is quite slick and a but clay like. Its formed from what I call "moon dust" on top of hard pack and its stick to the tire pretty bad. Need lots of speed to sling out the mud. I hope they clear OK and dont pack too badly. My older BFG A/T would turn into a slick. My new NITTO EXO Grapplers did much better but no like a true mud tire to give you an example of what the mud is like. When you get into ruts you just slip down in them and its murder trying to climb out of them. And speaking of mud I may just need the fender flares. Trouble is they certainly push the rig past 50" @ around 52" I think and Id hate to rip them off on 50" gates. I know the extra width of the tire plus a slightly wider wheel might put me at 51" Hope thats not too much of an issue either.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Hey...flyfishscott...

The Pitbull's clean out really well.

My 2016 Kodiak (which has basically the same frame as the pre 2014 grizzlies) is at 50" with the STI HD1 rims and the 26.5x11" Pitbulls. I switched to the Kodi's because of the tight trails I ride..The post 2013 Grizzlies are 2" wider stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tires are in and installed. I gained approx 2" all the way around over stock maxxis and 1" in ground clearance @ 5p.s.i. front and rear. They are HEAVY!!!! I will ride during the month of Sept a bit while hunting so we will see if I shim and add a spring. The 100 yds or so on the street I rode they seemed quite smooth. I did not seem to lift the front end like the stock ones as expected but acceleration seemed OK but as above we shall see.

Im impressed with the rim guard...rubber sticks out about 1/4" from the rim and should offer good protection to the beadlock rings. Side walls are nice and beefy and that may be where lots of the weight comes from. They are stiff, with 5psi I can hardly flex them with my foot while pushing on the edge of the tread and there is no tire bulge at all. I am very light and with the bead locks I may be able to drop another 2 psi.

I will be getting very muddy I think unless I ad the fender flares. They stick out much further and I will surely be pushing 50"+. Thankfully not a lot of tight gates where I ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts