Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing rumor that these machines are topping out near 60 mph in stock form? Mine is still breaking in, and hit 59 mph only for a moment. I didn't buy this thing for top end speed, but sometimes like to open her up on certain long roads like we all do. Are these things speed limited by computer? The 700 monster should have no problem in my opinion with powering faster than 60 mph?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'v had mine doing 65 a few times I think it would still do a few mph more , it's all stock except ITP rims and 26" Terracross tires .

·
Registered
900 Posts
Should have bought a Fast Green Grizzly, everyone knows they are faster than a SE colored Grizzly.....:rofl:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I didn't buy mine for top speed either, but I was curious to see what it would do in stock form, so back in late summer with around 16 hrs on it or so, I let er rip on a stretch of highway. Only thing diff from stock is 14" wheels and 26" big horns.

I was able to hit 69 mph on the speedo. Granted it didn't jet up to that speed. It gets to 50 fast, 60 relatively well but then it's def slower continuing to 65 then even slower clicks til it hit 69 before I let out as the road ahead was about to become uphill.

The stretch wasn't really long. I was prolly wot for roughly a 1/4 mile. It never hit the rev limiter so it has room to rev out some more. Haven't tried it since and its at 39 hrs currently. I'm thinking it may have enough steam to hit 70 with a little more room.

Just a little FYI, I'm a rather light fella, I'm sure that helps.

The 26" big horns ran taller than the 26" stockers which is to be expected. I checked the speedo with a speedo app on my phone with the stock tires and the big horns. It read a little fast with the stockers but was about as close to right as I could ask for with the big horns.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.. I was on a snowy dirt road when I reached 59 and backed down.. but I did notice how it does pull to 50 quite briskly and then settles back a bit. I did wonder how much difference the 26 inch maxxis tires would affect the speed? On a side note..WOW how that differential lock turns this machine into a tank! I found some pretty steep hills up in gladwin,MI orv trails and loved having that front diff lock option!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am hearing rumor that these machines are topping out near 60 mph in stock form? Mine is still breaking in, and hit 59 mph only for a moment. I didn't buy this thing for top end speed, but sometimes like to open her up on certain long roads like we all do. Are these things speed limited by computer? The 700 monster should have no problem in my opinion with powering faster than 60 mph?
Stock 2016, 220 LB. man, 4 psi in tires, full fuel tank, one hour on odometer, 67 mph. on speedo, and just not a one time thing. Like KYGrizzly said more room might do a little more but you have those pesky stop signs. Not uncommon for me to easily do 60 mph. across the harvested corn field behind my house and it rides like a Cadillac across it. God loves a Grizzly! :icon_ goofy:

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Should have bought a Fast Green Grizzly, everyone knows they are faster than a SE colored Grizzly.....:rofl:
Yup ,, confirmed ! My green 2016 Grizz did about 67-68mph stock , and 63mph with 27'' mudlite XTR tires on 12'' MSA Elixir rims , me and wife onboard, so factor in bigger tires , and we were going over 65mph. yes it takes a good while to get over 60mph though..
I added a 2mm clutch shim , and hit 59 mph , just me , big tires.. so a little speed lost , quicker acceleration though. factor in bigger tires , should have been going over 60mph.. Going to GPS it someday , and post results.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
POHLHAMMER- seeing as there has been little info on the 2016 for shims did it look like it would take more then 2mm of shim? Did you run into any problem with installing yours? Rubbing, contacting screws? Did you happen to do a ratio count or measure the weights in the primary? Curious minds want to know!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ive had mine at 66mph a few times. just doesnt want to go any faster. I also dropped down to 16 gram weights. I dont know if that is limiting my top speed.

·
Premium Member
9,254 Posts
26.5" tall tires (true measurement) make the speedo on these machines read true speed.
The reason the last few mph are slow building is the engine is on the back side of the torque curve and into the peak horse power range.
Someone before mentioned shims for a higher ratio which let the grizz get to speed quicker.
That's exactly what happens, then with a cut cam plate and slightly heavier weights speed can increase further before the torque stops building.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
POHLHAMMER- seeing as there has been little info on the 2016 for shims did it look like it would take more then 2mm of shim? Did you run into any problem with installing yours? Rubbing, contacting screws? Did you happen to do a ratio count or measure the weights in the primary? Curious minds want to know!
I do not believe there was much rm left , to add more than 2mm. Did not have any problems , and was very easy.
did not measure anything. I think the clutch weights are lighter than previous year models...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts