Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the group and have a few questions. I am at 400 miles on it and my clutch seems to be making a rattling noise. I pulled the cover and removed the cage and ran it up the street. The noise went away without the cage installed. The cage bolts up tight so I am confused as to why the cage is causing a rattling noise. Could it be the shaft that goes into the cage from the clutch? There is a rubber buffer inside the cage hole where the clutch shaft goes so I am assuming it eliminates the metal to metal contact. Anyone else getting an odd rattle from the clutch on their 16s? Also...the exhaust gets HELLA hot on this thing. Installed Barker duals and EHS controller to resolve lean issues and power. So hot it melted my plastic :(

Thanks!!
Looking forward to your input!
Jared
Pocatello Idaho

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Don't run your quad without the support bearing cage in place. That creates uneven angular loads on your the clutch bell bearing and mite damage or shorten it's life quickly.

The "rubber buffer" as you call it is actually seal that protects the cage bearing from contamination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh snap! I thought the cage was just a protective cover. Thanks for the info! Any ideas on the rattle I am hearing from the clutch?

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Put the cage back on and ride to detect noise.
The rattle may not be from the C.V.T. or that side of the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've tightened everything down. Put it in neutral and decended a rough trail with no noises. No excess motor noise when I rev it in neutral. Only rattles when the clutch is engaged. I put my hand on the cover and it is vibrating a decent amount.

I am nervous now after I ran it up the street at low rpm with the cage off trying to troubleshoot where the noise is coming from. I hope I didn't cause any damage the bearings. The odd thing is the noise went away with the cage off. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh...do you think I messed anything up? I was at low rpm trying to listen for the rattle with the cage off. Only went 2-300 yards. I thought the cage was just a protective cover :(

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Don't get hung up on that,
It's probably fine, worst case senario every part on your bike is replaceable.

That said, take your time and listen to where noises are coming from. It can be very tricky.
I bought my bike used and I thought it had a bad connecting rod bearing for awhile, but after a therough inspection and driving my buddies 700, I've concluded in my case, it's normal clutch noises.

Just sharing my experience. You'll figure it out with time and patience.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
x2 about not running without cage ( live and learn).. As for the noise ,, COMPLETELY NORMAL.. Shocked no one chimed in and said it yet.

They make a rattle noise , just the nature of the design. It will be more and less as you go up and down with RPMS. Don't worry about the rattle , they all do it to some extent.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Heck with the HMF pipe on mine I couldn't hear a rattle unless something visibly fell off the bike!! LOL. Mine is a '14 model and I could hear a little rattle and some whining coming from under there occasionally so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
x2 about not running without cage ( live and learn).. As for the noise ,, COMPLETELY NORMAL.. Shocked no one chimed in and said it yet.

They make a rattle noise , just the nature of the design. It will be more and less as you go up and down with RPMS. Don't worry about the rattle , they all do it to some extent.
I guess more info is needed about how you are riding when the noise starts.
The bearing in the cage supports the end of the shaft when the torque is put to the belt. Without the cage, there is a lot of twist put on the inside shaft bearing. You probably got away with one.
About the only thing that can rattle under riding conditions are the weights when the you are on and off the throttle and using hard braking. This causes the system to jump from back-shift to no back-shift fast and the sheaves can relax to reduce the pressure on the weights in their channels.
If you can feel a lot rattle/clunking through the cover, you may want to pull the primary sheave for a look. I guess a weight cover could fail and come off and this would reduce the diameter of that weight and cause extra noise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think if the rattle was anything to worry about we would feel the performance being affected. And I definitely have no performance issues with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My 2016 makes an awful rattle at lower to mid rev under load, especially when running in snow. I hate it but it seems to be normal.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good to know. My 450 been rattling as well, and it is definitely annoying. I just want a smooth sounding bike, but I guess that probably won't happen. I thought it might be that I needed a new one way bearing, or a new cam chain. I also thought that it might be from my carburetor running too lean, which I am in the process of tuning it. I did buy an aftermarket carburetor, a performance one, and some of the rattling did go away, but it is still very much there. So many things rattle on my 450, I guess I just have to live with that... So much vibration! I guess it comes with the grizzly territory. That extra stock torque definitely causes some extra vibration and rattles.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
I hated the clutch rattle so much on my 2016 that when it came time to choose which ATV to trade in to get a Wolverine, the 2016 went and I kept the 2015.
Seriously, the clutch rattle was a major contributing factor to that decision.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I have the 16 and i'm not hearing a rattling noise from the clutch, I do here the clutches going through its shift but that's about all, I do have the machined sheave though and well packed with grease so that might make the difference.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Just throwing this out here, did you put the long bolts in the proper place on the cage. On the older models it was the upper right and lower left (from my fading memory)?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've heard the same rattle on my 2017, I too thought it was coming from the cvt. I took the clutch cover off and everything operated normal and once I took the cover off I could not locate the noise any longer. Mine doesn't seem to rattle or make noise until the machine gets up to higher operating temps. When the bike is cold, no noises. Once it gets warmed up, I hear it. I think mine was an exhaust rattle. I took the side plastic off mine on the shifter side and at certain rpm ranges I had a rattle. I took a pair of channel locks and bent a couple of the shields that were rattling against the side of the motor and hopefully the rattle is gone. These 708 engines seem to have more vibration on the initial hit of the throttle than do the older 686cc. Once the rpms get up, the vibration goes away.......Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My '09 550 has been rattling since new as well. No worries.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can anyone tell what type grease to use in the clutch ? Mine howls and chatters, just hate the noise. It is a 2014, does one have to " pack " it full of grease or lightly grease up the weights ???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts