Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha has come good and are rebuilding my engine under a recall for engine smoking when cold. Call your dealer and have your VIN checked. They found Mark's on the crank and are replacing that also. I'm very surprised they're doing this to a 4 year old bike with 3800 kms.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
It's not a recall. It's a service bulletin. Sort of a warranty in this case. They are covering all 708's for a certain time period for oil burning.....if the oil burning is not from abuse or lack of maintenance.
I feel Yamaha has really stepped up to the plate in situation. Great to see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a recall. It's a service bulletin. Sort of a warranty in this case. They are covering all 708's for a certain time period for oil burning.....if the oil burning is not from abuse or lack of maintenance.
I feel Yamaha has really stepped up to the plate in situation. Great to see.
I'm hoping the do a good job rebuilding the engine. Especially when they replace the crankshaft. I'm kinda iffy about the reliability after the engine has been totally disassembled.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm hoping the do a good job rebuilding the engine. Especially when they replace the crankshaft. I'm kinda iffy about the reliability after the engine has been totally disassembled.
why? how will that harm it? it's better if anything, inspection of 3800km of wear on parts that otherwise would never be seen until a failure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Shops around here are so busy that I worry that I doubt they spend much time looking at anything other than what they are in there to fix. Any time you take something apart, there is a chance to mess something up. It is well known among pilots that the most dangerous airplanes are the ones that just came out of the repair shop.

Mine is in the shop right now getting the updates.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone happen to have the service bulletin number or a link to it? Seems like you need to know the answer to get the answer when talking to the shop about these sort of things. My ‘16 708 smokes more than I think it should. I noticed it’s starting to consume oil as well (the smoke has to come from somewhere).

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Pers
why? how will that harm it? it's better if anything, inspection of 3800km of wear on parts that otherwise would never be seen until a failure.
Because some of these shops don't give 2 $hits about your equipment and can cause more damage then good....

I would be equally leary of anyone doing such indepth work on my atv.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Hey...Nature Boy...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

How did they discover "Mark's on the crank"? That dude must be very tiny! Was he riding western or sidesaddle?

Enough kidding!

The 708 bulletin only replaces the jug, piston and rings and sometimes a valve job. How did the find marks on the crankshaft?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Hey...Nature Boy...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

How did they discover "Mark's on the crank"? That dude must be very tiny! Was he riding western or sidesaddle?

Enough kidding!

The 708 bulletin only replaces the jug, piston and rings and sometimes a valve job. How did the find marks on the crankshaft?
I am with you on this. I like to know how he found marks on the crank as well. Or at least what marks they found to necessitate a crank replacement.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pers

Because some of these shops don't give 2 $hits about your equipment and can cause more damage then good....

I would be equally leary of anyone doing such indepth work on my atv.
Agreed, from my experience over the years I'd give it a 50% chance of being done correctly.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
One would think that who ever rebuilds your engine would be a red seal Yamaha mech or a shop that qualifies for this type of work certified by Yamaha, its the only way Yamaha will warranty the work done, if your engine fails or still smokes after the work done Yamaha will rebuild it again till they get it right, its only the down time that's a pain.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Agreed, from my experience over the years I'd give it a 50% chance of being done correctly.
Around here, 50% chance for right is optimistic.
The good parts changers have their own business and do not split there money with a lazy dealer principal and his kids with desks there. The closest Yami dealer to me has 3 generations that do nothing, make nothing and can't ride. The last time anyone I know used their service (for an oil change), the 550 was over a quart low when the guy brought the bike out. I told my buddy to check the oil before we loaded on the trailer, we got lucky on that one.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Around here, 50% chance for right is optimistic.
The good parts changers have their own business and do not split there money with a lazy dealer principal and his kids with desks there. The closest Yami dealer to me has 3 generations that do nothing, make nothing and can't ride. The last time anyone I know used their service (for an oil change), the 550 was over a quart low when the guy brought the bike out. I told my buddy to check the oil before we loaded on the trailer, we got lucky on that one.
Wow... the dealers in your area can't have any Yamaha star ratings at all, nothing under 4 star ratings in this neck of the woods for Yamaha dealers and service departments, we are really lucky I guess.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Our dealer has several good mechanics. They have done the 708 rebuild on a number of machine that I know of all with good results. As they are busy it seems to take them about 2 weeks to get them done.

Apparently they have to video the exhaust, tear down the engine take pictures of the damaged parts then send the pictures and any other documentation to Yamaha for approval. If approved Yamaha sends out the repair parts. The dealer is not allowed to stock the upgrade parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got the bike back. Couldn't be happier.
They replaced the crankshaft because of a mark on it. That happened when the nut for my water pump fell off inside the engine. There is 2 sprockets and a chain that drives the water pump. That caused my bike to over heat. Lucky I fished the nut out of my bottom end before it destroyed my engine. The factory must have forgotten to use loctite on the nut.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts