Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I knew right away the handle bar light wasn't staying stock as soon as I purchased the grizzly. I just don't understand why they would offer LED lighting but not go all the way. I found many LED bulb replacements but they were only rated at a few hundred lumens, so it was all for show. I think I read the factory bulb was about 800-900 lumens.

I stumbled upon the Baja Designs S2 Pro LED Light.

It is completely sealed against the elements so it can be mounted anywhere. I figured I would take it a step up and retrofit it inside the OEM halogen light. Without taking the light apart, it appeared to be possible given the measurements. Figured some small modifications needed. The unit only measures 2"x3" and offers 2150 lumens with many available options for the spread and color of the light. I went with the Driving/Combo version.

I got the LED light in yesterday. To my surprise the unit fit right inside the halogen housing. I wanted the black to match so I stripped the chrome off the original finish and appeared a beautiful glossy black finish. The LED light blended right in!

I got it fitted up on the Grizzly and overall very happy with the results.

Original light

The comparison

Next to Iphone 6

Top is new LED pd vs bottom stock halogen

Oven cleaner eats right through the chrome so we can wash it off

Back end sealed up nicely with heat shrink and special rubber grommet

Done

Mounted

Factory lows

Factory Lows/highs + Baja Designs

Before and after again in the yard

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
That's awesome! Would a 6 LED cube fit? Like this:

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is awesome! I definitely need to try this mod. Great work Carbon!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Looks great! Do you think the LED light inside the housing will stay cool enough without direct airflow?

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Awesome work Carbon. Make it Yamaha, we will MOD, ha. I think you are the first here to post an update on the front pod light and it turned out awesome. Doesn't look like you need any additional lighting at this point.
Again, nice work and thanks for sharing and the write up with pics.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's awesome! Would a 6 LED cube fit? Like this:

No, no way. The pod I put in is only 2x3, so thats why it fit. However you can mount those larger pods on the rack easily.

This is awesome! I definitely need to try this mod. Great work Carbon!
Awesome job! Thanks for the write up and pictures
Thanks. Any questions let me know!

Looks great! Do you think the LED light inside the housing will stay cool enough without direct airflow?
Headlight has two small vents. The LED pods shouldn't get that hot. I will monitor it though.

Awesome work Carbon. Make it Yamaha, we will MOD, ha. I think you are the first here to post an update on the front pod light and it turned out awesome. Doesn't look like you need any additional lighting at this point.
Again, nice work and thanks for sharing and the write up with pics.
The lighting is great. I need to fine tune the height. I will get some photos out in the woods on the trails. Just gets a little eery out there alone at night :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Nice work!

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Oh boy ,, do I know what I will be copying soon !!
Awesome job !

I installed the PIAA Super Brite White bulb,,,, but it does not even come close to that !!

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Nice job carbon, I bookmarked this in case I upgrade someday, thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anyone needs anything from Baja Designs, let me know directly. Will take care of the GC guys.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Nicely done, looks great

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice job, I like the idea.

Can anybody confirm if the LED headlights bulbs on the 2016 Grizzly's can be used on previous models like 2014 or 2015?

·
Registered
161 Posts
That looks sweeeeet!! Very nice write-up. Probably won't be getting a '16 anytime soon , but if I did, I'd be contacting you for the specifics.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
They will probably offer LED or other options in future model years for the new grizzly.

Nice clean work looks really good!!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Looks great, job well done. Tha KS for sharing your efforts. I am sure many people will fallow this in he future

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nice upgrade! Looks very clean.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I like the way you think, ( out of the box ) Good job!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts