Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is for 2016 grizzly's and if you own one you know what I am talking about, and that is how the front wheel flips up any and every thing on the back finder starting around the foot board and splattering right on up the rear fender. ( This is the back fender after I made them and took it for a ride, nice and clean:)

So today I decided to make some mud flaps. I was at one of my favorite stores today ( Harbor Freight ) and seen these diamond plate looking rubber mats, they are 17 1/4" L x 4" W. $2.99 a mat.

I then made some brackets out of some 1" coated flat stock I had. I did paint the brackets black after this post, they were just easier to see unpainted.

then cut rubber mat to 9 1/2" L x 4" the flaps hang down 4 1/2" from the bottom of the foot board. This is what I ended up with.

We had a little rain last night and after I put them on I took across a field and some puddles and down the road over 60 MPH. and they just hung there like I was sitting still, they worked surprisingly well and kept the fender clean. I am sure when you get in mud up to the foot boards nothing going to work well but for just riding around you sure don't get all that crap on your rear fender any more. PS. I just know someone is going to say the first time they go out riding they will rip them right off the fender, I don't think so they are very flexible and forgiving, I just don't see that happening. Thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
So it seems to me at least that most of the mud that appears on the back fender is from the larger holes in the foot wells. I went through a lot of mud puddles this past weekend on the Hatfield and McCoy trails and when I watched it I saw a bunch of it coming right through the floor and onto the fender. Not saying the front tires aren't contributing too, but saw a lot of it splashing through the floorboard.

I will probably be getting a set of overfenders soon as well though. I already miss the mud protection that my 07 DU Grizzly had.

I can't see your pics yet because of the proxy here at work, but I look forward to seeing your setup when I get home.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Will fender flares help?
No, the flares also stop were the fender cuts back into the foot board,

that's were a lot of the stuff comes from, unless a manufacturer makes something different, flares are not going to help this problem. As far as the mud coming up through the foot boards you will get that in deeper mud and water, but I am talking about even dry trail dirt will fly up on the fender through the opening were I put the flap, and that has stopped most all of that ( lite mud,) road spray, dirt and dust.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it seems to me at least that most of the mud that appears on the back fender is from the larger holes in the foot wells. I went through a lot of mud puddles this past weekend on the Hatfield and McCoy trails and when I watched it I saw a bunch of it coming right through the floor and onto the fender. Not saying the front tires aren't contributing too, but saw a lot of it splashing through the floorboard.

I will probably be getting a set of overfenders soon as well though. I already miss the mud protection that my 07 DU Grizzly had.

I can't see your pics yet because of the proxy here at work, but I look forward to seeing your setup when I get home.
At 2:47 PM today I am sure you were not taking your lunch, so what the hell was you doing on GC instead of working. :icon_ goofy: I like it.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Hey..RDC..Looks good.:rocker:
I tried the mudflaps on the 660 they helped some.
Made these out of 4" wide ¼" thick conveyor belting. They really keep the water and mud off. Got them on all the machines now.
I don't ussually ride with my feet on the metal cleats.I ride with my feet out on the edge wedged in the groove these make on the running board. They lock my feet from sliding off.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
reogem, that is a very good idea also. I like that!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good idea, I might have to look into this. I noticed last week that the same area on my 2012 was getting dinged by rocks (not a big deal) but that might solve this and keep the mud away as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks good. I may look into this on mine, maybe not as low. I am also going to cut the holes in the floor board larger. Seems mud has no problem getting up there, but it is harder than Hades to get them to clean off... I have a cutter for the dremel that should allow me to just trim the opening of each hole larger.

dw

·
Registered
58 Posts
While I applaud you for coming up with some type of solution, I really believe that Yamaha didn't put much time in testing the new wider plastic. They dropped the ball in so many way. Multiple complaints on the 2016 on this site. Everything from the poor mud protection that your addressing, to the excessive heat in the center storage area and near the left side of your leg area, to wider turn radius, front end pushing forward when turning slowly, dirt getting past the air filter seal in the air box, and that useless rear storage box that isn't water tight at all.
I really hope that other 2016 Grizzly owners, and yourself, have called Yamaha to complain about these issues so they can work on correcting them, before others like myself don't drop 9k on a future purchase.
The customer shouldn't be the one trying to come up with ideas on how to correct them after spending all that money.

·
Registered
396 Posts
While I applaud you for coming up with some type of solution, I really believe that Yamaha didn't put much time in testing the new wider plastic. They dropped the ball in so many way. Multiple complaints on the 2016 on this site. Everything from the poor mud protection that your addressing, to the excessive heat in the center storage area and near the left side of your leg area, to wider turn radius, front end pushing forward when turning slowly, dirt getting past the air filter seal in the air box, and that useless rear storage box that isn't water tight at all.
I really hope that other 2016 Grizzly owners, and yourself, have called Yamaha to complain about these issues so they can work on correcting them, before others like myself don't drop 9k on a future purchase.
The customer shouldn't be the one trying to come up with ideas on how to correct them after spending all that money.
The world is an imperfect place. Screws fall out. Beyond that, some folks worry about things that others don't (e.g., the rear box, which is not designed to be waterproof, not being waterproof). To each their own!

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
For me there are times that I don't want a wet ass so I made the running board extension.
If you are an "atv rider" you are going to get muddy and wet. There isn't an atv made that can protect you completely.
If that bothers you get a Jeep Grand Cherokee. :devil:

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I have never once seen an atv with good mud protection besides the old grizzly and it felt like it would tip over before modification .. every grizz had excessive heat on the exhaust side, it's hot exhaust. The wider turning radius is because we all complained about a tippy grizz so they made it wider. Dirt past air filter is solved by lubing the gasket which is common knowledge on ever machine with this style filter and that pesky not water tight storage box that was never designed in the slightest to be water tight .... seams like alot of useless complaints to me .... early grizzlies would melt plastics, air filter was a pain to get to, had no extra storage, was tippy, sounds like they did listen and now people are bitch in about what we all wanted

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I find my 16 stays cleaner than my 12 and that's running the same rims and tires on both . Maybe because the 16 is designed for 26" tires and the 12 was designed for 25" . But its only mud it washers off .

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I have never once seen an atv with good mud protection besides the old grizzly and it felt like it would tip over before modification .. every grizz had excessive heat on the exhaust side, it's hot exhaust. The wider turning radius is because we all complained about a tippy grizz so they made it wider. Dirt past air filter is solved by lubing the gasket which is common knowledge on ever machine with this style filter and that pesky not water tight storage box that was never designed in the slightest to be water tight .... seams like alot of useless complaints to me .... early grizzlies would melt plastics, air filter was a pain to get to, had no extra storage, was tippy, sounds like they did listen and now people are bitch in about what we all wanted
Love what you said here TRev. Once again you tell it like it is and hit the target bang on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for all the pics and suggestions! I ordered a sheet of 1/8" rubber from Amazon (Amazon.com: Rubber-Cal 03_167_W_CO_04 Composite Rib Corrugated Rubber Floor Mats, 1/8" Thick x 3' x 4' Roll, Black: Industrial & Scientific) and made some similar flaps. For now, I'm just using the 3 stock bolts, but I may add a plastic rivet at the bottom if needed. Worked great in a quick mud hole test and not sure I'll even need the rivets to hold the bottom.

I made the left one, then just copied it for the right side. Had to trim the right side a bit to get around an extra bolt on the bottom on that side, so that flap is a little narrower.

A little worried it may pull off riding over big logs, but we'll see. It's so easy to make an attach another one, I'm not too worried about it. I also may trim them a bit to make them narrower, since I've never had a problem with mud coming thru foot well holes, only around the outside.

(Edit: it took this noob longer to figure out how to upload and attach these images than it took to make the flaps)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts