Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was looking for opinions on running other brands of oil filters besides the 16 dollar yamaha filter. I cross referenced this yamaha part number at autozone, and a fram motorcycle filter(PH6017A) was found for around 6 dollars, and also a "microguard" brand filter was found at o'reilly auto parts for around the same price. Can anybody comment on the quality of these two cheaper options? I don't believe that the expensive yamaha filter is anything "special" compared to other brands, unless I am mistaken? Thank you all in advance!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
How many times a year do you change your oil? Even if you do it twice a year it's only 20 bucs you save on a 9000$ machine

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure as of yet.. I figure I will do the first few early as it is still breaking in. The principle of the matter to me is not entirely saving money, but also not paying an arm and a leg to yamaha dealers for something I can purchase for almost a third of the price if in fact the specs and quality is the same?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just purchased a HifloFiltro HF-147 from Amazon for about eight dollars. The side of the box says it replaces a Yamaha 5DM-13440-00. A previous thread says it is the right filter for the 2016 Grizzly 708.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Go to GOOGLE or YOU-TUBE and type in "oil filters cut open." The Fram Extra Guard and the Fram Tough Guard filters have cardboard end-caps on the filter media. There has been a lot of criticism about these "cheap" cardboard end-caps. I think you can do a lot better. I will eventually cut open the Yamaha filter and the HifloFiltro filter and post pictures.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just did a little research and found the Microguard oil filter also has the "cheap" cardboard end-caps. There is a very nice oil filter forum on "bobistheoilguy.com."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts