Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thank you for all your information. The 2016 grizzly is brand new so my local dealer was waiting on the plow mount kit but they finally got it in the other day. I actually called warn and they gave me a part number (which was not listed on their site) but no one really had any information about it.

I went with all Yamaha/Warn parts since its made to work with one another. I think the only thing I could of done differently was saved a few bucks on the plow blade and push tube assembly. I found them on amazon for much less but dealer couldnt match it. They insisted to use their parts, and since they discounted the price I went with it for the sake of convenience and assurance it would work.

I got all the parts at local dealership, but found the cheapest pricing online and had them match it.

Here are the links to the Yamaha Accessory page of the products I used:

Winch Mount Kit: $114.99
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/atv-yamaha-winch-mount-by-warn?b=Utility+ATV&d=18|18&f=2016|258&dealernumber=

I had them price match to this link, $89.69.
https://www.yocracing.com/accessory_store/store/yoc_advancedsearchexec.asp

ATV Plow Kit: (this includes the blade and push tube assembly)
Yamaha's price is $476. I couldnt find it on the YOC site since they had separate part numbers.
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/atv-snow-plow-kit-by-warn?b=Utility+ATV&d=18|18&f=2016|258&dealernumber=

Amazon has the warn provantage 54" blade for $200 on the blade

$129 on the push tube.

The Yamaha Warn blade is yellow, while the standard one is black. I could not find any other difference. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. They charged me $288 on the blade and $188 on the push tube assembly.

Yamaha/Warn Provantage Winch 2500
Yamaha price is $359.99
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/yamaha-pro-vantage-2500-winch-by-warn?b=Utility+ATV&d=18|18&f=2016|258&dealernumber=

I had them price match to $287
https://www.yocracing.com/accessory_store/store/yoc_viewitem.asp?idproduct=612428

ATV Plow Mount Kit
Yamaha price is $235
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/atv-plow-mount-by-warn?b=Utility+ATV&d=18|18&f=2016|258&dealernumber=

I had them price match to $188
https://www.yocracing.com/accessory_store/store/yoc_viewitem.asp?idproduct=811797

Installation:

This was my first ever installation on any ATV or any winch kit for that matter. I thought the instructions were decent but still read over and did a few double takes to figure things out. Overall it took me about 3-4 hours. if I was to to do again, easily could get it done in about 2.5 I would say.

The winch and winch mount bolt right up to the plow mount. I had to remove the front bumper/bar in order to have enough room to fit the whole unit, which wasnt listed in the instructions. but then again it appeared the instructions were made more for the previous model due to the photos they showed at the end, it didnt match up.

I routed the power cables to the winch on the left side of the machine as best I could, only downside is red cable visible. May put some loom on that.

I had some trouble with the battery terminals since the square nut at the bottom would fall down, so I fussed with that for a little until I figured out a method.

Wiring up the switch was a breeze. No cutting or splicing, the yamaha/warn kit was direct plug and play to the accessory wiring off the key switch. Really nice touch. Wires were the perfect length and overall I like the kit.

The plow mount is very stealth. You can barely tell its there. Since this is a front mount system you loose no ground clearance which is a huge plus. I hooked up the plow to test it and it did only take a matter of minutes. The system is well thought out. The plow blade just barely cleared the doors to the shed, so major score there! You can lift the blade nice and high, another huge plus.

Overall Im pleased with the kit and Im glad I got a chance to install it in 70 degree weather before winter comes next month.

Few questions for anyone reading that knows about the winch/plow:

Does anyone know anything about the warn slack control listed on the site. I guess it knows where to stop the line so you dont give too little or too much cable when operating the plow. Curious to know if that hooks up along side of the standard winch switch or it gets installed instead of it.

Regarding the fairlead, I noticed when I tighten the winch, there is a small amount of play and it sort of bends back. I have the bolts tightened well, I guess the winch is just that strong. Is this an issue?

Spring tension. I managed to set it to the stronger setting thinking it had to be that way. Is the stiffer or softer option better for this ATV?

Should I get the winch cover?

Blade angle? Set it to the standard one the instructions suggested.

Hope this post was helpful to anyone looking to add to the 2016 grizzly. Any questions let me know!

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Nice set up.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Nice setup.....let it snow!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't use your (long) winch cable with the plow setup. It will wear, fray, weaken and come apart where the cable rides on the roller. No need in wasting your normal cable just to plow (it will eventually break).

During the snow season, remove it, store it away in the garage, and replace it with either (a) a shorter (less expensive) synthetic rope or (b) use some seat belt material.

I use these, and I always keep a spare on hand:

Amisteel Plow Lift Rope - Blue
Amazon.com: 10' Amsteel Blue Plow Lift Rope: Automotive

This year, I'm going to try to set it up with some seatbelt material (much stronger, spreads the load out better on the winch spool).

I would also recommend replacing your steel cable (the long one) with a synthetic one in the spring time ... for a variety of reasons.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
X2 on synthetic rope, AmSteel-Blue in particular.

You won't be able to use the pulley to compound the lift if you use a strap or belt, but I doubt you need it, and it should lift faster without it. There will be more mechnical advantage b/c the spool will be smaller.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Great set up. I installed a warn provantage plow set up last fall. It works great. I used the steel cable from my warn winch with no problems, but many people will recommend going synthetic. I intend to use the cable again this year.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You won't be able to use the pulley to compound the lift if you use a strap or belt, but I doubt you need it, and it should lift faster without it. There will be more mechnical advantage b/c the spool will be smaller.
My buddy has the same setup as I do. We're going to see what we can do to manufacture our own pulley that will use the same pin & cotter setup. Shouldn't be too difficult.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used the steel cable from my warn winch with no problems, but many people will recommend going synthetic. I intend to use the cable again this year.
Yes, you CAN use it. All I'm saying is that you're creating a weak spot in the steel cable and it will eventually fray (and break when you need it). Using a cheaper/shorter cable or rope with your plow will save you from replacing a 50' cable or rope more often, that's all. It's about saving money, not about whether or not it will work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the feedback, its exactly what I was asking for.

I did order the warn plow limit/slack control combo.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went with the Warn 3500S to hook up to the Warn Provantage 60" snow plow front mount.
My biggest complaint is I had to drill out the holes on the back of the mounting plate to attach the electrical box. The predrilled holes don't line up with the 3500s electrical box. I think it should come with a pulley to relieve the stress angle of the line so it doesn't fray the rope.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the 60" Warn ProVantage, front mount plow set up. I also ordered the Amsteel plow rope. However, I wanted to try something that I have seen on here and that is using a strap.

Below are the pictures of my current set up. If this doesn't work, I will have to go back and use the Amsteel plow rope with the pulley that Warn provided.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
396 Posts
carbongrizzly, you should pick up a rubber line stopper for when the hook is retracted in all the way and you don't have the plow on:

winch.JPG
rls.JPG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't use your (long) winch cable with the plow setup. It will wear, fray, weaken and come apart where the cable rides on the roller. No need in wasting your normal cable just to plow (it will eventually break).

During the snow season, remove it, store it away in the garage, and replace it with either (a) a shorter (less expensive) synthetic rope or (b) use some seat belt material.

I use these, and I always keep a spare on hand:

Amisteel Plow Lift Rope - Blue

This year, I'm going to try to set it up with some seatbelt material (much stronger, spreads the load out better on the winch spool).

I would also recommend replacing your steel cable (the long one) with a synthetic one in the spring time ... for a variety of reasons.
Synthetic is good for several reasons, there are cases when steel would be better... High abrasive situations - using it to drag logs or something similar. Also i read once in extreme cold (Alaska) the synthetic will hold some water and freeze solid, steel is less likely to do so.

X2 on synthetic rope, AmSteel-Blue in particular.

You won't be able to use the pulley to compound the lift if you use a strap or belt, but I doubt you need it, and it should lift faster without it. There will be more mechanical advantage b/c the spool will be smaller.
That is actually not compounding the lift, it is just redirecting the anchor point. To compound the lift the hook needs to be attached to the Grizzly. Pretty sure that hook is attached on the push tube and moves as the cable is retracted.

I have mine rigged so the rope goes through a pulley and back up to my front rack. mainly to SLOW the up/down of the plow as I did not like it slamming to the ground (my Superwinch is fast :) ).

carbongrizzly, you should pick up a rubber line stopper for when the hook is retracted in all the way and you don't have the plow on:
You can also grab up a front boat trailer roller and cut it in half. Typically at wallie-market for $5 v. needing to order online and pay shipping.

dw

·
Registered
165 Posts
this might be a stupid question but can the provantage plow setup be used withother winch mounts other than warn. the way it sounds is that the warn plow mount and the winch mount go hand in hand but i could be reading this wrong. i have the kfi winch mount

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im sorry I can't confirm that. Worst case scenario you get a new winch mount as Im sure the winch will fit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the 60" Warn ProVantage, front mount plow set up. I also ordered the Amsteel plow rope. However, I wanted to try something that I have seen on here and that is using a strap.

Below are the pictures of my current set up. If this doesn't work, I will have to go back and use the Amsteel plow rope with the pulley that Warn provided.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Nice setup Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 21737
View attachment 21745
I do have the KFI one. Definitely needed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im sorry I can't confirm that. Worst case scenario you get a new winch mount as Im sure the winch will fit.
Does the plow mount use the winch mount in any way to support it? Is there any chance I could get a picture of the instructions?

·
Registered
396 Posts
carbongrizzly -

You might want to use that other bolt location in the latches at the bottom end of your springs. Those springs shouldn't be that stretched in their resting position.

I had mine set the way yours are. After less than two years and a couple dozen times something stopped the blade and caused the springs to "do their job" (correctly), the ends of the springs stretched out to a point where they were ready to come out the next time it happened. Take a look at my old springs and the new set (before I installed them):

image1.JPG

I replaced them with new (OEM) springs and used the other slot on each side. The springs is only mildly stretched in the resting position, ready to do their job.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does the plow mount use the winch mount in any way to support it? Is there any chance I could get a picture of the instructions?
The winch mount sits inside the plow mount. I will see if I can scan instructions for you.

carbongrizzly -

You might want to use that other bolt location in the latches at the bottom end of your springs. Those springs shouldn't be that stretched in their resting position.

I had mine set the way yours are. After less than two years and a couple dozen times something stopped the blade and caused the springs to "do their job" (correctly), the ends of the springs stretched out to a point where they were ready to come out the next time it happened. Take a look at my old springs and the new set (before I installed them):

View attachment 24409

I replaced them with new (OEM) springs and used the other slot on each side. The springs is only mildly stretched in the resting position, ready to do their job.
Thank you so much. Haven't even had a chance to use the plow. Stretching them into the second slot was a challenge. Im going to change it up.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts