Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just finished installing the Warn 95740 winch mount plate and Warn VRX25 winch. Install was fairly easy until I went to put the factory skid plate back on. At first I thought the excess threads from the carriage bolts were the problem, so I trimmed those down to the nut. The next conflict I found is with the mounting plate itself. Pretty frustrated... Anyone else have this issue? Found a solution? Called Warn and they say that the skid plate is supposed to be left off. Sounds like complete BS to me. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 16 and struggled to mount a warn plate and a 2500warn winch . I had to back up and loosen everything up and finger tighten . Never had an issue with the front side plate not going back on ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you loosen up the bolts on just the winch mount or the front push bar that the mount plate attaches to as well? The 2 mounting holes that the front skid plate connects to are about an 1.5" off from what used to be a flush connection because of how much the winch mount plate projects out towards the front of the atv... Think I'm going to try finding longer screws and add some washer between the skid plate and mounting holes to make up the gap. I expected better from Warn...

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Turn the bolts over, nut on top if possible. Or drill a hole in the skid for the nuts.

Reactions: NewGrizzly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Ridgway, The mounting plate itself is what's preventing the skid plate from being installed... It was the additional length on those bolts before I trimmed them!

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
So the plate is too long on the flat to go behind the plate? or too low?
And by how much? Will a little sanding make the room needed?
Maybe a front picture of the misfit will help us.....like this showing the lines.
https://flic.kr/p/fxiHRo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the plate is too long on the flat to go behind the plate? or too low?
And by how much? Will a little sanding make the room needed?
Maybe a front picture of the misfit will help us.....like this showing the lines.
https://flic.kr/p/fxiHRo
The winch mount plate sticks out too far forward... The blue line represents where the skid plate gets installed. The red circle is where its hitting. I would need to move that back about an 1-1/2" for the skid plate to be installed as it was previously.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
The newest 700 (grizzly anything) I have helped install a winch on is 2015. I've helped with 550's, 700's and older 660's, and not once did I have the problem you have now. I think they might have sent you the right part number with the wrong part.
I would ask them if a smaller/lighter winch uses a different plate part number. Also a couple years ago I had trouble with my Warn, and after trying to talk to their customer service knuckle heads I decided I am done with Warn products forever. They talked me into using any other cheap chinese crap before ever trying to talk to them again.
They wanted almost as much for a replacement controller and suggested an entire new winch system including a new controller and wouldn't listen to reason.
If they say it installs without trimming, tell them they are wrong and send it back for a refund.
Sadly I got years of great service out of their product, even pulling the cable in two a couple times, to tie a square knot in the cable to continue to get out of a tight situation. Then one day the damn controller stopped, probably from the high load forces, I don't know.
Then when they tried to hose me on parts to get it going again I was done, it seems the company changed (maybe sold) and is not the same as years before.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
654 Posts
Are you sure you have the right mounting plate and it is installed correctly? My 2017 Kodiak warn plate & winch had no issues with skid plate going back on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The newest 700 (grizzly anything) I have helped install a winch on is 2015. I've helped with 550's, 700's and older 660's, and not once did I have the problem you have now. I think they might have sent you the right part number with the wrong part.
I would ask them if a smaller/lighter winch uses a different plate part number. Also a couple years ago I had trouble with my Warn, and after trying to talk to their customer service knuckle heads I decided I am done with Warn products forever. They talked me into using any other cheap chinese crap before ever trying to talk to them again.
They wanted almost as much for a replacement controller and suggested an entire new winch system including a new controller and wouldn't listen to reason.
If they say it installs without trimming, tell them they are wrong and send it back for a refund.
Sadly I got years of great service out of their product, even pulling the cable in two a couple times, to tie a square knot in the cable to continue to get out of a tight situation. Then one day the damn controller stopped, probably from the high load forces, I don't know.
Then when they tried to hose me on parts to get it going again I was done, it seems the company changed (maybe sold) and is not the same as years before.
I'm wishing I went with a different manufacturer.... Once the customer service rep said to me that the "instructions say to remove the skid plate sir" I knew I made a mistake buying this...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure you have the right mounting plate and it is installed correctly? My 2017 Kodiak warn plate & winch had no issues with skid plate going back on. View attachment 99501
The mounting holes lined up perfectly so I thought that everything was good while installing. I think that I might of got the wrong part as you mentioned. The instructions that came in the box say Yamaha Kodiak 700 MY16 but it has the part # that fits my Grizzly so who knows. I haven't been able to find the correct dimensions for the mounting plate anywhere to confirm either and Warn customer services didn't have access to them...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts