Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hooked up my rear seat with led tail/brake light,everything works as it should but today i saw that when the lights are in the off position and any brake is applied the front headlights flicker/pulse,unhook the rear tail light at the connector and the pulsing stops.with headlights on everything works like normal.
lights on with switch and brake light on when brake applied,seems like it is connected properly so i have no idea why the headlghts are doing what they are doing......dealer also has no idea why........any ideas?
thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Hey..Blink..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.
I don't have a 2016 schematic some I am assuming the wire colors are the same.
Did you connect to a yellow wire and blue wire close to the tail light.
Does your light pigtail from the box light include a ground wire?
To isolate the issue you might try disconnecting one wire at a time.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
do you have a multi meter? i would start by getting one. they are dirt cheap at harbor freight.

my bet is that you have the ground for the aux light attatched to a (+) wire, and youre getting a back feed through the light. or possibly that there is a short in the aux light... which is causing your brake lights to feed voltage(through the aux light) to the tail light circuit which is feeding your headlights.

long story short, we need more information...

first off, i would check continuity on the 3 wires(we will call them a,b and c) that go to the aux light. you shoudl have continuity from a-b, and a-c but not b-c if you have continuity between all 3, there is an issue with the light. stop here, and return the seat. get a new one... problem should go away.

if you dont have continuity between 2 of the wires continue with the following...

give us as much info as you can. 3 wires coming from the new light... what are their colors... 3 wires they are tied into(on the quad), what are their colors and locations...

if you can get a multi meter, get a reading on each of the wires on the quad.. put the black lead on the battery neg terminal, and touch the red lead to one of the 3 wires on the quad.
for each of the 3 wires find out the voltage in teh following situation..
key off... what is the voltage...
key on/lights off... what is the voltage...
key on/lights on.. what is the voltage...
key on lights on/brake on.. what is the voltage
key on lights off brake on...

report back with those numbers and we can get you sorted out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
here are the results of meter testing.

power at battery is 12.70
key on no light or brake applied all wires read 0
key on/light on-12.52 at the constant wire and 5.96 on the brake wire
light on/brake on-12.52 at the constant wire and 10.80 on the brake wire
light off/brake on-6.86 at constant wire and 10.84 on brake wire.

now i'm even more confused.lol

the power readings for the box led light was tested after the inline resistor for the brake light wire
the connector is 3 wire and i tried a ground from the battery and still the same result.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
something is not right. you should either have 12v or 0v.. nothing in between.

unless the 16's have a led tail light and run off of lower voltage... but that seems odd.

were those readings taken with the box detatched? thats what i meant for you to do.

how is the box hooked to the machine? how are the wires spliced into the factory harness?

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
2016 head lights and tail lights are Led, not the handle bar light.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
The easiest fix would be to disconnect it. Do you really need two tail/brake lights?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
agreed,the brake wire is cut....end of issue.i left the lights on wire connected so the box light is lit when the switch is on.

the main connection is where the oe led plugs in to the harness,in the rear storage compartment.
i just spent an hour and a half checking everything and even used an incandescent bulb and when a regular bulb is hooked up i get a constant brake light.this is the 5th seat i've hooked up and never seen the likes of it.
i am the first one to put on a rear seat in my area so even the dealer can't figure it out.like i said....wire is cut,but it still haunts me.lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
LEDs are light emitting diodes. Diode is the key word here. Sounds like one of the diodes may be installed in reverse when manufactured. Does this have a solid state unit with that resistor?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LEDs are light emitting diodes. Diode is the key word here. Sounds like one of the diodes may be installed in reverse when manufactured. Does this have a solid state unit with that resistor?

the led in the box only has a resistor heat shrinked inline.
i even removed it and tried to run direct.

i agree with the odd voltage,should be a simple 12v open closed circuit?

everything was ok when it was mounted on my previous machine,should have been a simple swap.

trying to find someone else with a similar setup to see if they have any issues.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
I have this problem on my wife's 07 700, hit the brakes and the headlights come on. I have added nothing to the system like blink did but when overhill posted my LIGHT BULB went off, I did add LED bulbs. I switched the taillight bulb this morning and tried it and the headlights DO NOT come on, switched back to the other bulb and the headlights lit again when I hit the brakes, my problem is the LED BULB. Maybe this will help you blink.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think it's to do with the led system as well.

last time the front led headlights were pulsing only the right one was doing it,the left only dim flashed when the switch in the brake lever clicked on and off.
i'm sure it will be a simple matter of time before the local dealer installs one and i'll see how they make out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i hooked up my rear seat with led tail/brake light,everything works as it should but today i saw that when the lights are in the off position and any brake is applied the front headlights flicker/pulse,unhook the rear tail light at the connector and the pulsing stops.with headlights on everything works like normal.
lights on with switch and brake light on when brake applied,seems like it is connected properly so i have no idea why the headlghts are doing what they are doing......dealer also has no idea why........any ideas?
thanks!
It's the same on my Grizzly. I have a 2014 550 with LED lights (after market) and a LED tail light. When I have the light switch in the off position, I can see a very weak flickering in the head light.
It started when I changed from a ordinary halogen tail light to a LED one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts