Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 grizzly. Got back from Mud Nats and replaced my spark plug when I got home. Now it wont crank over. I thought it was the Starter relay so I replaced that to. Still wont crank over. It clicks when you hit the start button displays comes on and battery is fully charged. so I'm stumped as to what it can be that is not letting my grizzly want to crank over and run. Also when you hold the start button down there is weird electrical whiney sound that seems to be coming from some where up front. Can any one help me out with this issue and get my grizzly back up and running....

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Are your battery terminals tight? They may just be loose.

What is the condition of your battery, not it's charge state? A battery can be bad, yet the battery charger is say its charged. Charge state does not have have anything to do with condition. When it a charger states its charged, it just means the battery will no longer take a charging current. It does not mean the battery is any good. A battery load test is best for checking condition of the battery.

Try putting power directly to the starter motor using a set of booster cables. You may have a bad starter motor. If you do not know the condition of the battery, it's best to do this with a separate known good battery. You can do this off your car or truck if you like.
You could also try lightly tapping your starter motor with a hammer when trying to start it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay awesome Thanks yeah ill give all of those a try tonight when I get home. or this weekend and ill get back to you. I was also thinking it could be the starter but just wasn't sure. Now should I take the starter off first before trying to boost it or just leave it on? ill have to check the condition of the battery tonight but its a fairly new unit thought but that's why I'm on hear asking you. Thanks bud

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Just leave the starter motor where it is. Just put power directly to the stud....or you can put power directly to the starter side lug on the solenoid if it's easier to reach. The wire on that stud goes directly to the starter motor anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Maybe.....tell us what happened to the Grizz at mud nats?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Maybe.....tell us what happened to the Grizz at mud nats?
I just realized he said Mud Nats. Most definitely yes we need to know what happened at Mud Nuts. It might just be full of mud and water and is hydrolocked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I flooded it in a pretty huge hole. Not the first time I have done it. this one was just the worst. but no hydro locking oil was completely fine and still is just drained the belt box and air filter pulled the spark plug dried every thing out and ran it for two more days out there. it was when I got back home and pulled both units out in the drive way to done maintenance from Mud Nats.. note its was still running at that time... stopped running aka not wanting to start once I put a new spark plug in. but that didn't make since to me since I had it running two mins before that. checked my plug. torched the spark to specs and still nothin so that's when iv been trying to figure out what the problem is and still coming up blank. I have a new starter motor coming in today to see if that is the problem. the battery is good and I just replayed the starter relay. so what is yals thoughts

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,670 Posts
General behavior for an ICE to not turn over where you get clicking is not enough current flowing through the circuit to the starter. It is usually fouled battery/ground connections or a bad battery. That is coming from someone I knew who was a very well respected mechanic with A LOT of experience.

I know you've said a couple times the battery is good, but by which method did you determine the battery was good?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tell you the truth I'm not the best at electrical stuff but I can take apart and rebuild all day long but with wires and currents I'm not the best. I'm going to try to jump start it tonight to see if that work and also test my starter motor. I just went and bought a new battery so if the my grizz starts by jump then I'm guessing it is because of my battery yeah ?? if it doesn't start then it must be the starter motor and I got a new one in today. let me know what you think or if I should try a different approach.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,670 Posts
dezz had mentioned to check the battery terminal connections to make sure those are clean and tight. I would also clean the connections on the starter along with chassis ground. That actually may be enough to get the proper current flowing. If not, your next easy suspect item is the battery but seems odd that a 2016 would already have a bad battery unless the battery was mistreated, e.g. over charged, left without a charge long term, etc.

Best way to check a battery is by having a shop load test it unless you have a specific load tester yourself. Battery chargers are generally not load testers. But since you have a new battery, make sure that is fully charged and try it in place of the old battery.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
The more I read, the more I am suspecting a bad battery.
Unless thing have changed, most OEM Yamaha batteries are vented. When you swamp the bike in deep water, water can enter the battery through this vent. Depending on how much water entered the battery, this can drastically shorten it's life. Sometimes it just causes a battery failure.

Since you swamped the bike, you possibly got water in the battery and toasted it if your battery is vented. If it's a sealed battery, then water entry is a non issue.

Could be completely wrong on bad battery though. I simple boost off another battery will tell the story. If it cranks over, you know the battery is weak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah I ride almost every weekend and yes I do go in a lot of deep mud a water. the battery vent is something I did not know about and also like you said it is a 2016 so the battery didn't seem like it was the issue to me. I have a N2Deep snorkel on it and N2deep Rad relocate kit on it so kinda my laziness I have been putting off taking the rad kit off to access the battery. Iv been working with min. room accessing the battery. I'm am going to try to jump start it with my truck then ill know if the battery is bad or if the starter. if I'm correct from yals info that is.. I have a new battery I just got today and will try that or maybe even using the one from the new grizzly I just got a month ago. also try cleaning the connections points as mentioned. I do wanna say this. I have always looked at this forum but never signed up and thank all of you so much. the amount of people I have called and videos iv watched they never got me as far as yals help so thank you ill will try all these thing this weekend and get back to you.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Quick thing you can try with the battery, use a multimeter on volts dc, prongs on terminals, turn on ignition, voltage should be between 12.5v & 13.5v(or so) watching multimeter, hit start button, a good battery will drop to no less than 10v & spin motor, if it drops lower it needs a full charge & proper load test done, a battery that drops to near 0v & then comes back up to(say) 13v has an internal fault, it's toast. If it stays at 13v(or so) but relay clicks it's a good chance the problem is in wiring(terminals?) or another part that doesn't like being drowned.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Keep us informed, any videos of mud nats? Or you swamping. I have a good one on YouTube, sunk grizz, mrmudder16 when my son fell off in a creek ride deep spot.

Best advice, keep the camera going when it goes wrong, makes the story better...lol.

I did not know the batteries were susceptible to water intrusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts