Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if any one thinks a little grease should be applied to the edge of either side of the air filter keep in mind this a different design this year. The filter goes over a cage and the cage has a end cap the end cap has a foam gasket( that I assume you put nothing on)the end cap side gets pushed against a the air box squeezing the foam gasket hopefully sealing. I am curious if I should dab a little grease on the edge of both sides of the filter just to be be sure it seals. I have done this in the past on other machines but they had a much different air filter set up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine works the same way. Just kind of wedges in there. It's a dumb design, it deforms the airbox since it's always pushing on it. Every time I clean it i have to put liquid electricaltape around the box to seal it properly. It's only 3 times a year so not to big of a hassle. I don't worry about greasing the foam, when I first got the machine I took the filter off an nothing near the foam was dusty, so I didn't bother.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine works the same way. Just kind of wedges in there. It's a dumb design, it deforms the airbox since it's always pushing on it. Every time I clean it i have to put liquid electricaltape around the box to seal it properly. It's only 3 times a year so not to big of a hassle. I don't worry about greasing the foam, when I first got the machine I took the filter off an nothing near the foam was dusty, so I didn't bother.
Yea I'm sure greasing the ends of the foam filter is kind of over kill the ends of cage have a metal lip that wraps slightly around the filter so I would assume it would be kind of tough for dust to work its way behind it, still undecided but probably not worth the mess.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Just to make sure, look into the airbox with the filter removed. See any dirt that blew by the filter. If so then greasing it won't hurt, if not motor on without it.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys thanks for the input. I don't consider my self a maintance freak but the though of dirty air getting in drives me crazy. I don't mind dirt as long as it stays on the out side of the engine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kinda late but I'm putting rings and honing the cylinder on a king quad 750 for a guy that put an air filter on it and did not seat it good when he but it back together. Took about 6 months for it to loose enough compression to not run. So dust will eat it up, no doubt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts